Shedding

Much2much41

I don't know what happened to my last thread :ohwell: , so I'm trying again:

I have been airdrying my hair for five months now, no problems, and have been drying it in a ponytail with rollers on the end. I noticed this week that more hair than usual has come out, but I wasn't really alarmed until I washed it today, and it shed HORRIBLY!! The only thing I did differently is went a little longer between washings. Otherwise, I deep conditioned the last time and everything. I just gave myself an Aphoghee treatment to try to stop/slow the shedding, and am deep conditioning under a bag and a towel. Is there anything else I should do, or that you ladies think I didn't do? Should I airdry in a wrap instead? Please help :cry2:

MizaniMami

is it shedding from the root or breakage?????

i am shedding something serious too. this is my opnion but protein treats and other "treatments" and topical aides will not help shedding. it is something internal. like for me i quit my birth control and I know that is the cause.

i think it is the change in the weather too. my hair is shedding something serious too. i started back upping my vitamin game and i hope all ends well.

maybe you can incorporate some vitamins in your regimen? iron, msm, and biotin, is said to be good for shedding. good luck and i hope you find the answers you are looking for

Much2much41

MizaniMami said:
is it shedding from the root or breakage?????

i am shedding something serious too. this is my opnion but protein treats and other "treatments" and topical aides will not help shedding. it is something internal. like for me i quit my birth control and I know that is the cause.

i think it is the change in the weather too. my hair is shedding something serious too. i started back upping my vitamin game and i hope all ends well.

maybe you can incorporate some vitamins in your regimen? iron, msm, and biotin, is said to be good for shedding. good luck and i hope you find the answers you are looking for

It's actually shedding. Long strands. The ends are fine, for once. I've been taking MSM, but increased the dosage the past week from 3,000 to 4,000 a day. I'm in Chicago, so I haven't really experienced any weather changes. Besides, I thought hair sheds in the spring after it's thickened up from winter :ohwell: I've had breakage before from my old stylist not washing out color properly, or just plain ole damage, but from what I remember, I've never shed before. I even asked my mother, and she doesn't remember me shedding, either. I've experienced a slowdown in growth before, but never just a big hand full of hair coming out for not apparent reason. I just don't understand it :confused: I guess I could use some vitiamins, though. I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mystic

I read recently from an expert that wet hair should be left to hang down for a while before putting it into a ponytail. This is because wet hair is very vulnerable to breakage and having it pulled back into the ponytail when wet will make it rub against the band you use to hold the hair together. This will cause breakage over time. Hair is stronger when dry so it is better to ponytail on half dry hair than to do it wet.

I am not sure if you are shedding from the root. This will require getting some internal remedies such as vitamins, etc as well as using eternal products that has some garlic in it. I use MSM, take my vitamins and take a few pegs of garlic everyday and I have never had any shedding since I started my hair journey 7/05. If your hair is breaking, you might want to incorporate the expert's tip above. I hope you will have this under control soon.

Doll

I've experienced a lot of shedding lately as well. I wonder if it is because I recently stopped taking biotin and MSM due to one of them making my period go crazy (appearing every two weeks).

Much2much41

ivanay said:
I read recently from an expert that wet hair should be left to hang down for a while before putting it into a ponytail. This is because wet hair is very vulnerable to breakage and having it pulled back into the ponytail when wet will make it rub against the band you use to hold the hair together. This will cause breakage over time. Hair is stronger when dry so it is better to ponytail on half dry hair than to do it wet.

I am not sure if you are shedding from the root. This will require getting some internal remedies such as vitamins, etc as well as using eternal products that has some garlic in it. I use MSM, take my vitamins and take a few pegs of garlic everyday and I have never had any shedding since I started my hair journey 7/05. If your hair is breaking, you might want to incorporate the expert's tip above. I hope you will have this under control soon.

I've been taking MSM, but I don't have any garlic. I'll have to buy some odorless garlic to take internally. I don't have any external products that contain garlic. Any product suggestions? I'll wrap it today instead of the ponytail and see if that helps.

Much2much41

Doll said:
I've experienced a lot of shedding lately as well. I wonder if it is because I recently stopped taking biotin and MSM due to one of them making my period go crazy (appearing every two weeks).

What's so weird about it is that even though it shed today, it looks longer :ohwell:

MizAvalon

You say you're sure that it's shedding and not breakage? In that case, I wouldn't be too alarmed. It's normal for hair to shed *up to* 100 hairs PER DAY. Though this has never happened to you before, maybe it's just some weird isolated incident? Maybe this is an indication that your hair may start shedding more from now on?

Either way, as long as it's not breakage or your hair isn't shedding in clumps every single day I don't think it's really anything to worry about.

ETA:I went back and re-read your original post and saw that you waited longer between washings this time. That's probably the answer to your question right there. How often do you comb your hair? If it's not much then you had more hair trapped than usual because you waited longer to wash.

Last edited:

SweetAKA

Yep, I'm in the same boat. My hair appears healthy, smooth, shiny, and overall feels great. This has to be the best that I have seen it. But the shedding is something awful, mine is the long strands of hair. Which I believe that I read somewhere on the board that between the months of July??-September, the hair sheds a lot more. Because I noticed my shedding did pick up around late July early August, but before that I had no problems what so ever.

My hair looks longer too Much2much41. It's weird because I washed it and even though it didnt shed a whole lot, like it use to, the strands were a lot longer. Once I put my conditioner in and combed it thru I could see that it still showed some growth.

Much2much41

MizAvalon said:
You say you're sure that it's shedding and not breakage? In that case, I wouldn't be too alarmed. It's normal for hair to shed *up to* 100 hairs PER DAY. Though this has never happened to you before, maybe it's just some weird isolated incident? Maybe this is an indication that your hair may start shedding more from now on?

Either way, as long as it's not breakage or your hair isn't shedding in clumps every single day I don't think it's really anything to worry about.

ETA:I went back and re-read your original post and saw that you waited longer between washings this time. That's probably the answer to your question right there. How often do you comb your hair? If it's not much then you had more hair trapped than usual because you waited longer to wash.

I had been washing once a week, but waited two weeks this time (I know, too long, but I've been HELLA busy), but you can best believe I'll be squeezing it in one way or another each week. I only comb once a day w/a wide toothed comb to make it "presentable", but for some reason, more hair was coming out this week. Then, when I washed it, OMIGOD! WAAAAYYY too much hair came out for my liking! I finished w/my Aphogee treatment, then did a deep condition w/hot oil, Mizani moisture conditioner and QP Intense, and it seems to be back to normal. It shed about the usual amount (which I am mad ANY came out after what I saw earlier, but I guess there isn't anything I can do about it), and I'm wrapping it instead of pulling it back. Once it dries, I'll still probably put it in a ponytail or bun, but I won't airdry it in a ponytail for a while. But I hope it won't start doing this on a regular basis. My heart can't take it!! :eek:

Much2much41

SweetAKA said:
Yep, I'm in the same boat. My hair appears healthy, smooth, shiny, and overall feels great. This has to be the best that I have seen it. But the shedding is something awful, mine is the long strands of hair. Which I believe that I read somewhere on the board that between the months of July??-September, the hair sheds a lot more. Because I noticed my shedding did pick up around late July early August, but before that I had no problems what so ever.

My hair looks longer too Much2much41. It's weird because I washed it and even though it didnt shed a whole lot, like it use to, the strands were a lot longer. Once I put my conditioner in and combed it thru I could see that it still showed some growth.

Wow, you got a LOT of growth!! :D Okay, as long as it keeps growing, I guess I can deal with SOME shedding, but I would prefer for it to be GRADUAL. All that hair in one fell swoop is too much on a girl! Geez!!! :lol: