Shelf life of hair products *jacked*

yardgirl

Shelf Life and Storage of Salon Products
Like many consumer products, certain salon products are best used during a particular increment of time. This interval of time is called shelf life, and it describes the period wherein a product can be used with maximum effectiveness and safety. Within this article, the average shelf life of various salon products will lie discussed. First, let's tum our attention to the primary determinants of shelf life. *jacked*

Factors Which Affect Product Shelf Life
I. Product Development
A. Stability
The formulation of high-quality hair care products is both an art and a science. As experienced hair care chemists well realize, the way a product is formulated has a profound impact upon its shelf life. Expert chemists strive to develop products that meet or exceed the market standards in terms of performance, and always with the objective of achieving product stability. Stability refers to the maintenance of a products' basic character, an enduring uniformity of its blend and the preservation of a homogeneous state. An unstable formulation is many times evidenced by product "separation", whereby the ingredients become unblended. Both environment and gravity are key factors in stability. As a product ages, the environment (i.e. temperature, exposure to air, etc.) may cause the product to separate. Gravity also affects a product's life in that, over time, the weightiest ingredients (such as water) will segregate towards the bottom of a mixture, as others (like oils) are relegated to the upper pans.

B. Ingredient Selection
Certain ingredients are by their very nature more stable than others. For instance, animal proteins. particularly when used in high volume, are less stable than some other types of conditioning agents-because· of their proclivity for bacterial growth. And too, emulsifiers, used in formulas containing both oils and water, can be relatively ineffective in ensuring oil/water miscibility, (a uniform blending of these two components), over extended periods of time.

The Average Shelf Life of Salon Products
SHAMPOOS
Shelf Life: 1 to 2 years

Well formulated cleansing and lightly conditioning shampoos have relatively long shelf lives. Detangling shampoos, however, are more difficult to stabilize from a product development standpoint because of the amount of conditioning agents utilized. The shelf life of detangling shampoos may therefore be as limited as six months to a year.

CONDITIONERS
Shelf Life: 1 to 2 years

After-shampoo conditioners will last a year or two. If the formula contains an unusually high amount of organic material such as animal protein, the life of the product may well be much less due to an increased susceptibility to bacterial growth problems.
RELAXERS
Shelf Life: 1 to 1.5 years (Sodium Hydroxide)
2 years (Guanidine Hydroxide)

Of the most widely used relaxers, those formulated with sodium hydroxide are the most challenging to formulate. An improperly formulated relaxer can have a shelf life of six months or less. Well developed formulas will work effective for up to a year and a half.

Guanidine hydroxide relaxers are a little easier to stabilize from a product development standpoint, and can be effectively used for up to two years. (If the creme portion of the relaxer system seems a bit dry on the upper surface, do not assume that the product is beyond '" shelf life. This is characteristic of relaxers in this category, which contain
calcium hydroxide.)

PERMANENT WAVES
Shelf Life: 6 to 12 months Curl Boosters
6 to 12 months Rearrangers
1 year Neutralizers

The chemicals used to formulate permanent wave systems are very difficult to stabilize, primarily because the active ingredient, (ammonium thioglycolate), readily reacts with air. This is called "oxidation" and describes a process that neutralizes or deteriorates the active chemicals contained in curl boosters and rearrangers.
These two components of perm systems, which are critical to the straightening and curl formation of the hair, can easily lose up to 15% to 20% of potency due to ordinary exposure to the air. This potency loss significantly slows down the chemical reaction of the products.
Oxidation will occur to some extent with any exposure to air, even with the simple act of opening the container in which the booster or rearranger is packaged. More often, the process of oxidization is greatly accelerated by the bulk packaging typically used for professional perming products. By using large packaging, which is often demanded by stylists, the packaging is opened and closed on multiple occasions as clients are serviced. Also, more air is left inside the containers, called "head space", with each successive use of the products. (For this reason, the perms sold in the general market, (for curling naturally straight hair), are almost always packaged in single-use kits.) Due to the reactivity of ammonium thioglycolate to the air, compounded by the use of bulk packaging, the shelf life of curl boosters and rearrangers is generally six to 12 months.
Neutralizers, which do not contain the highly reactive ammonium thioglycolate, are effective for up to a year.

HAIRDRESSINGS
Shelf Life: 2 years 100% Oils
1 to 1.5 years Cremes

The 100% oils are the hairdressings commonly referred to as "greases" or "pomades." They have a relatively long shelf life. Cremes, however, (i.e. oil moisturizers and creme hairdressings), are oil and water emulsions and have a shelf life of up to one and one-half years. This is because over time, the oil will strive to the top of the emulsion, leaving the water at the bottom. Depending upon formulation, cremes may even have a shelf life as short as six months.

FINISHING PRODUCTS
Shelf Life: Up to 2 years

Most of the products in this classification have relatively extended shelf lives. Styling Gels maintain performance integrity from one to two years, depending upon the formula. Setting Lotions, Oil Sheen Sprays, Holding Hair Spray sand Laminates can last for two years or more.

HAIR COLORINGS
Shelf Life: 1 to 1.5 years

In a similar fashion to that described for permanent wave products, the active chemicals in many hair colorings are highly sensitive to the air. With oxidization, the ability of the color product to deposit within the hair shaft is impaired. To help prevent oxidization and the resultant potency loss, many such products are packaged in single-use bottles.

Proper Product Storage
Generally, salon products should be stored at room temperature, away from heat, direct sunlight and extreme cold. Storage of products in refrigerators is not recommended and products should never be placed in a freezer. To protect products from excessive sunlight and store products near windows.

Some Tell Tale Signs of Shelf Life Expiration
The following properties will signal that a product is beyond its shelf life:
- Product Separation
- Foul Odor (likely caused by bacterial contamination)
- Loss of Product Viscosity (product becomes much thinner)
- Build up of Viscosity (product becomes much thicker)
- Rancid Odor (characteristic of natural oils that have been exposed to air and/or sunlight for extended periods)

What if a Product is Used Past its Shelf Life?
At best, a product that is beyond its shelf life will not perform as effectively as it did initially. Product application may be impaired and the way it reacts to the hair may very well be hindered. At worst, the product could cause harm to a client. In the case of an unstable or separated sodium hydroxide relaxer, the result will either be ineffective straightening or extreme causticity. This is because once a relaxer separates, the oils rise to the top and the water, containing most of the sodium hydroxide, descends to the bottom of the jar. When the stylist applies the upper portion of the mixture, the hair will be treated with the most impotent part of the relaxer. When the lower portions in the jar are used, the relaxer is much too strong and will likely damage the hair and bum the scalp. Stylists must not think that merely mixing the contents of a separated relaxer will again stabilize the formula because it won't. Relaxers must be blended at a temperature of 80 C under scientifically-controlled conditions in order to get a stable mixture.
Another instance in which a client may actually be harmed by the use of product, which is beyond its shelf life, is when bacterial growth has occurred. Should a contaminated product, wherein the preservative system has broken down, be inadvertently rinsed.
into a client's eyes, severe infection and/or impairment may result.

How is a Professional Cosmetologist to Know?
Other than being on the lookout for the "tell-tale" signs listed above, there is really no good way for a cosmetologist to know precisely the age of a product and its shelf life as estimated by the manufacturer. Manufacturers normally code each product so that they will know precisely when it was manufactured. and via their scientific tests, manufacturers can also predict the shelf lives of their various products. (By law, companies must also retain samples of each batch of product; which they produce for three years, in order to track the impact of product aging within a controlled environment.) Should you have a specific question regarding the shelf life of a certain product, contacting the manufacturer may be the best avenue to pursue.

crazydaze911

Well i've had my emergencee for like 5 years - it still looks and smells safe.....lol. im horrible, but im sure im not the only one on this board with old products!

Thanks for the info

loulou82

Thanks. I have a 2 or 3 products since 2007 when I started my hair care regimen. Hopefully I use them by the end of the year.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Wow, well it looks like I need to clean out my storage cabinet but I'll tell you one thing I won't be getting rid of and that's my Suave Milk and Honey conditioner, I have 1 1/2 bottles left, I use it for my daily cowash, it smells yummy and leaves my hair soft, I do check it to make sure I don't see anything growing out of it before I put it on my head:grin:.

yardgirl

I might go home and see what needs to be thrown away (but only if they shows signs of expiration)

Barbara

Princess
Well i've had my emergencee for like 5 years - it still looks and smells safe.....lol. im horrible, but im sure im not the only one on this board with old products!

Thanks for the info

No you're not. I have half a tub of conditioner that's ten years old, and it's still good. :lachen:I check it every month to see if anything about it is different. It still performs well on my hair. In fact, my hair looks and feels better when I use it than any other conditioner.

That's what I get for becoming a product junkie. I strayed away from my primary staples for about four years; but earlier this year, I went back to it, because it's too expensive to throw away. Plus, I've shared it with my mother consistently last year and early this year--and she loved it so much that she puts it with her belongings as if I gave it to her--the whole line. A heated argument pursued between us. :catfight:

I didn't tell her it was shipped to me ten years ago, but her hair is thriving.

Last edited:

ladylibra_30

This a great thread and the kick-in-my-PJ-stock-piling-tush that I NEEDED. I have products that are so old but I won't be tossing them...I'll just use them up or give them away.

However, I do wonder how long it's been sitting on the shelf before we actually buy them, you know?

Last edited:

Vonnieluvs08

Thanks for the information. I know there have been somethings I have tossed because the consistency or color changed but for the most part I keep styling products longer. My shampoos, conditioners never last past 6mos-1yr for shear use.

ladylibra_30

I check my products from time to time but I'm going to check them all this weekend for sure.

Suddenly, being a PJ and stockpiling poos and cons isn't cute!

ctosha

This was very informative....Oyin HH condish says shelf life is 4 to 6 months I have had it for little over a year I don't notice any difference in smell I would like to use it. Has anyone had this condish over the shelf life and still use it? I know it may be a long shot for responses but it would be appreciated. Oh and the ingredients are natural!

Vintageglam

I had this issue with some Affirm 5 in 1 recently it was all gloopy and sticky - ew.

I think I also need to throw out my Infusium bc I now realise I have literally had it for years and because of its liquid consistency its one of those things which can be absorbed by the skin. I think that there is really the problem...