SHIKAKAI HELL!

bravenewgirl87

My Experience with Shikakai Powder
http://www.hairsmystory.com/2008/01/my-experience-with-shikakai-powder.html
Last week, I finally got my bottle of Shikakai. Shikakai (Shee-KAA-KI-EE) stand for "fruit of the tree" and is a natural cleanser used to stop dandruff,strengthen hair, and detangle.
I'm not sure if I've expressed my obsession with Ayurveda and Indian hair products, but I love pure, organic Indian hair oils. Dabur is my favorite brand and my two faves of theirs is Dabur Jasmine Oil and Amla oil. UGH! My hair gets so strong and shiny when I use those oils in my braid-outs. So, when I saw several of the ladies bragging about their wonderful experience with hair powders, how they were steeping them to make shampoos and tea rinses, I had to jump on it. Oh! And when Candy_C posted that Ayurveda hair powder grew her hair all the way to waist length in to weeks, I pinned hardcore. Then, one of the ladies offered to send a bottle, free of charge, if I just paid for the shipping.

According to the responses AsuBeauty's thread (who had a hard time with Shikakai) it is best to pre-poo hair with oils before using the Shikakai powder. The night before I saturated my hair in Amla and Coconut Oil, slept on it with a shower cap until the next morning.
I read that the best way to prepare Ayurveda is in a tea and that the easiest way to do so was to put it in the coffee pot. So, I steeped it the same way you do with coffee. It came out a mess. I also mixed the powder together with about 2 tbsps. of Amla oil and Coconut Oil, and water. Mixed it together, slathered Paul Mitchell The Detangler all over my hair and headed to the shower.
I got in and rubbed the hard paste all over my head. As I was rubbing I started to noticed that it got stiffer and stiffer, hardening on my hair. I tried rinsing it out, but my hair was super-tangled and knotted. I shampooed with Phytospecific Vital Force Shampoo, and a little better results. I applied the rinse with the Shikakai on again and it instantly became hard again. I washed again with the Vital Force, and did a final rinse with Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner.
I tried to moisturized my hair Miss Key 10 en 1 conditioner. I applied heat to it for an hour, maybe an extra half- hour. Still, no good. I returned to my "old faithful" Queen Helene Cholesterol conditioner (mixed with other stuff) for another 30 minutes and still no use!
Even a hot oil treatment with Safflower Oil, Camellia Oil, Coconut Oil And Queen Helene Jojoba Oil Treatment showed no sign of change.
Garnier's Leave-ins nor Lacio Lacio did a thing for my hair. I rolled my hair with twist rods and then did Bantu knots. Usually, with Bantu Knots, my hair always coils out into beautiful fluffy curls. This time, it was a hard, dry mess with puffy knotted kinks. I couldn't get it lay, so I loved like a curly-haired Buckwheat. I thought, "maybe it was the new Pantene Mousse for Volume that did it to me. It was my first time using this product." But, it
cannot be, I happen to like mousse and so does my hair.
So, about a couple hours ago, I did a co-wash with The Detangler again, and I saw a tiny change. My hair is still tangled, but not unbearably so.

My verdict: I understand that one may want a deep cleanser that is natural and sulfate-free. I know I might have done something wrong with how I prepared the powder. Shikakai is supposed to be a better version clarifying shampoo because it fortifies with every wash, but the work and stress of putting it together is too much. The powder is about the equivalent of using ApHogee Treatment for relaxed hair; the untouchable helmet hair feeling and then an intense deep conditioner after. Yet, somehow, I found the ApHogee to be so
much less confusing. I lost a lot of hair and got some crazy shedding trying to use this stuff. I probably won't ever repurchase, but I'm going to find better ways to use what is left over. Maybe i can mix it into a treatment for super strong hair.

I'm going to finish drying my hair and then baggying it all night, in hopes to get the moisture level back up. Probably on Wednesday I will co-wash and deep condition it again, then rewash on Sunday.

Sheesh. It even turned my neck black.

sonce

I don't believe you're supposed to rub it as if you're lathering up shampoo. You're supposed to apply the paste to your scalp and let it sit for a bit, then rinse it out. If you use the tea, you're supposed to rinse your hair with it, not rub vigorously.

bravenewgirl87

I don't believe you're supposed to rub it as if you're lathering up shampoo. You're supposed to apply the paste to your scalp and let it sit for a bit, then rinse it out. If you use the tea, you're supposed to rinse your hair with it, not rub vigorously.

ohhhh.....:perplexed

so its basically like the ApHogee?

myco

I'm sorry to hear that.

I've never used it as a tea. I always make a paste, that I apply to my scalp with a relaxer brush. Or I add enough hot water to make it the consistency of a runny mud pie. I pour it into an applicator bottle and pour that over my hair - starting at the front and working towards the ends.

I let it sit for several hours or overnight. Then I rinse it under the shower head. I don't massage it like a traditional shampoo. I just seperate my hair with my hands to help the powder release and rinse. That also helps with the detangling.

It is usually stiff after I rinse, but it doesn't feel awful. I still don't try to detangle. I usually apply a mixture of ORS replenishing pak and porosity control. After 30 minutes+, I can rinse and comb it out in the shower with virtually no tangles.

asubeauty

This is some tough stuff, right?? I'm sitting here with an ORS pak in my hair (i prepooed after the shikakai, washed again with therappe and DCed with Pantene R and N and almond oil, and it was still kind of stiff. :ohwell: So I definitely feel your pain.

I'm not sure I'll do it again by myself, but I don't know if I want to totally give up, either.

Cichelle

I can't use Shikakai powders to wash my hair because it makes my hair hard and dry. I have success with Shikakai soap and an oil, though.

Evazhair

I make shikaikai in coconut oil from the powders. I prepoo/oil cleanse with it. I am scared of the pastes/teas. On rinsing, my hair is always very soft. It strengthens, so I think using Miss Key (wheat protein) was maybe a bit much, and if the other products had protein, well.... You put a lot of different products including mousse on your hair, and shampooed more than once. IMO that exacerbated the situation. I always follow shikaikai with a moisturizing dc . The result is always soft, strong moisturized hair.

Bigghair

I am sorry this happened to you.:sad:
Shikakai is applied in much the same way as henna, sort of like slathering mud on your hair. You don't rub it in. You let it sit then rinse. I made a rinse with a little of the powder and some water and just poured it over my head. I also added this to my cassia mix the last time and my hair came out really soft after leaving this mixture on all night. I mixed Cassia, Shikakai, honey, molasses, acv, and water. I only used a small amount of the Shikakai though.

bravenewgirl87

I make shikaikai in coconut oil from the powders. I prepoo/oil cleanse with it. I am scared of the pastes/teas. On rinsing, my hair is always very soft. It strengthens, so I think using Miss Key (wheat protein) was maybe a bit much, and if the other products had protein, well.... You put a lot of different products including mousse on your hair, and shampooed more than once. IMO that exacerbated the situation. I always follow shikaikai with a moisturizing dc . The result is always soft, strong moisturized hair.

Very true. But I didn't know what to do:lachen::lachen:

bravenewgirl87

This is some tough stuff, right?? I'm sitting here with an ORS pak in my hair (i prepooed after the shikakai, washed again with therappe and DCed with Pantene R and N and almond oil, and it was still kind of stiff. :ohwell: So I definitely feel your pain.

I'm not sure I'll do it again by myself, but I don't know if I want to totally give up, either.

let it go mama. Let it go:nono::lachen::lachen::lachen:

my bathroom looked a hot muddy mess. I mean, brown goo everywhere. I feel like such a fool, trying all these crazy methods. :lachen::lachen::lachen: This is worse than the time I got the egg stuck in my hair!!!

ALWAYZL8

I'm so over shikaikai. I threw that stuff in the outside trash. My hair broke off in places, shed, and I scratched my scalp raw! I'm done.

DivaRox

I'm so over shikaikai. I threw that stuff in the outside trash. My hair broke off in places, shed, and I scratched my scalp raw! I'm done.

:sad:That sounds awful-sorry to hear that. I didn't have too good of an experience with those darn shikakai bars either so it may not be just the powders giving the blues. If it's supposed to make your hair feel super stripped and just ugh-then yeah it worked like a charm:look:

Angelicus

I am sorry about your mishap.

What's up with people not mixing Shikakai with something conditioning like Methi, Amla, or Hibiscus powders? It's a really drying herb, even if you mix it with just oil. And I am so sorry that you rubbed it in (which breaks apart the cortex). Bigghead's instructions to just paste it on are correct.

Rule of thumb is actually one part ShiKaKai, to two or three parts of Amla, Methi, or Hibiscus powder... plus some oil or water.

Once again, sorry about your experience.

Knowledge is power.

asubeauty

my bathroom looked a hot muddy mess. I mean, brown goo everywhere. I feel like such a fool, trying all these crazy methods. :lachen::lachen::lachen: This is worse than the time I got the egg stuck in my hair!!!

Yeah, I guess so. :ohwell: :lol:

I'm still sticking with my Alma oil, though!! :lachen:

AKA-Tude

I mix shik/arith/neem with hot H2O-

Let sit overnite-

Then added SAA-

got in the shower & rinsed thru hair, let sit, rinsed with clear H2O
(I did this 2 x)

Conditioned,

and my scalp does not itch anymore!

And my hair is clean & not dry at all!

Sorry this wasn't a positive experience for you.

bravenewgirl87

I am sorry about your mishap.

What's up with people not mixing Shikakai with something conditioning like Methi, Amla, or Hibiscus powders? It's a really drying herb, even if you mix it with just oil. And I am so sorry that you rubbed it in (which breaks apart the cortex). Bigghead's instructions to just paste it on are correct.

Rule of thumb is actually one part ShiKaKai, to two or three parts of Amla, Methi, or Hibiscus powder... plus some oil or water.

Once again, sorry about your experience.

Knowledge is power.

Yea, Hibiscus, honey and some hydronated goat or buttermilk could have been smart, but I didn't have any of that today. I'm going to get breaking with it.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to rub.:perplexed:blush:

nappity

Oh wow!
I feel your pain- after your experience Id never want to do it again.
Fortunately, I haven t had this problem with the hair tea. I pour it over my hair and put two plastic caps on and then sit under the dryer and scritch my scalp for 20 minutes , under the dryer I mean.I then rinse out do a quick co wash with bhringaraj conditioner and proceed to deep condition.. I havent tried the paste on my scalp just cause of the sheer water pressure it would take to rinse it out of my naps. I wish it had worked out better for you:sad:

bellebebe

Yeah... I'm not having much success with the hair masks either. I only use the oils now... Same results right? I don't want my powders to go to waste so I use them as a face mask:grin:.... They work really well. Especially that Amla powder.

Lovelylocs

It looks like you used it as a hair mask instead of a tea. This stuff is so strong that even just leaving the tea on my hair for a minute or two gives me as much if not more strength as Aphogee, but it is less drying. :)

I wouldn't give up just yet. Try it again. But this time DO NOT MIX IT W/OIL. This could have been part of the problem too. Prepoo w/the oil. Rinse the oil out. Then add a tea composed of 3 teaspoons Amla powder and 1 teaspoon of shikakai powder. Let it sit on your hair for a minute or two. Rinse. Then, leave a super moisturizing conditioner on your hair for 10- 15 minutes. Rinse. I usually use AlterEgo's energizing conditioner as my moisturizing conditioner. That stuff is the MOST moisturizing conditioner EVER. :lol:

Also, make sure that you add boiling water to the powders, stir them really well, and then let it cool. You don't want a lot of grittiness left. Be careful not to let any of it get into your eyes! :shocked: YIKES!

virgo_chinwe

It looks like you used it as a hair mask instead of a tea. This stuff is so strong that even just leaving the tea on my hair for a minute or two gives me as much if not more strength as Aphogee, but it is less drying. :)

I wouldn't give up just yet. Try it again. But this time DO NOT MIX IT W/OIL. This could have been part of the problem too. Prepoo w/the oil. Rinse the oil out. Then add a tea composed of 3 teaspoons Amla powder and 1 teaspoon of shikakai powder. Let it sit on your hair for a minute or two. Rinse. Then, leave a super moisturizing conditioner on your hair for 10- 15 minutes. Rinse. I usually use AlterEgo's energizing conditioner as my moisturizing conditioner. That stuff is the MOST moisturizing conditioner EVER. :lol:

Also, make sure that you add boiling water to the powders, stir them really well, and then let it cool. You don't want a lot of grittiness left. Be careful not to let any of it get into your eyes! :shocked: YIKES!

Im still kinda confused?? whats the difference in the tea and paste as far as concentration goes?? What exactly is scritching? scritching=scratching/massaging? Is using a hair dryer necessary? I guess I am still not getting this stuff....i need to look up old posts... ay yi yi

Opalsunset

I would recommend making an oil out of the shikakai absolutely. My hair didn't take well to the mask either though it's doing much better with the homemade oil (I say homemade because I wont use the ready made ones with mineral oil) Also, I dont know about the concentration of the mask verses the tea, I would like to know that as well...but scritching is the equivalent of a scalp massage which helps the blood circulate and take in the herbs better.

sonce

ohhhh.....:perplexed

so its basically like the ApHogee?
yes, it is very similar to Aphogee in the sense that manipulating the hair while it is in can result in some major breakage and is a baaaaad idea. Apply it to your scalp like you're packing wet sand for a sand castle and then let it sit.

Last edited:

Dogmd

I would recommend doing it exactly as Candy_C recomended. I have used it like that 10 x now and it works better than any other cleansing product I have EVER used. I am sorry you had a hard time with it. thanks for the report. I am sure this has helped someone.

MissMasala5

Wow, I am sorry that your experience was not a good one, but in light of the fact that you made a couple blunders, you should try it again. I did the powders today and loved it. Here's what I did:

1. Prepoo'd overnight with my oils
2. Mixed up 1 tbs shikakai, 1 tbs aritha, 2 tbs brahmi, 2 tbs amla powders
3. Added enough hot tap water to make it yogurt-like consistency (you really don't need to add oils, commercial conditioners, etc. Just add water)
4. Rinsed my hair with lukewarm water then applied the mix to my hair, no rubbing
5. Gently smoothed the mix down the length to cover the strands well
6. Let it sit for about 8 minutes
7. Rinsed, rinsed, rinsed (final rinse in tub of water to get the last grits & bits out)--hair was soft, strong and tangle free after
8. DC'd with cholesterol mixed with a little vatika oil
9. Rinsed and cowashed with Tresemme B5 & aloe condish
10. Normally I'd do a leave-in moisturizer and set, but today, I did a henna :yep: and am still under the dryer with my rollerset

I hope you try it again and I am sure your hair will love it next time. Good luck!

SleepyJean

Been there, done that. I've learned to the egg treatment now, though.

ReddTweetyB

Shikakai is one of the ingredients in my Gro-aut shampoo. During the testing phase of the product, I noticed that the more shikakai I used in the recipe batch, the more my hair would be hard and tangled afer use. Only a small amount is used in the shampoo along with other strategies that I came up with to avoid the hardness and tangling from the shikakai like adding a little more oil into the batch and a little less shikakai.