SHIKAKAI HELL!

Miss*Tress

Bravenewgirl, I'm really sorry this didn't work out for you. I've been following Kiesha's instructions for pre-wash oiling, mixing the powders, and washing. I can highly recommend this technique as effective for cleansing and stopping breakage and shedding just as well as any protein treatment.

If you don't want to try again, just send me your unused powders and oils. ;)

DivaRox

Okay after dogging the shikakai bar out I was inspired to give it yet another try. I prepooed overnight with bhringraj, jojoba, amla and coconut oils, then used shikakai bar, followed by the gro aut poo(I have to ration my poo). Muuuuch better-still needs a little tweaking to be completely happy but me and shikakai may make it after all:giggle: I do feel like I did something good for my hair though.

Andreainnis

I am sorry about your mishap.

What's up with people not mixing Shikakai with something conditioning like Methi, Amla, or Hibiscus powders? It's a really drying herb, even if you mix it with just oil. And I am so sorry that you rubbed it in (which breaks apart the cortex). Bigghead's instructions to just paste it on are correct.

Rule of thumb is actually one part ShiKaKai, to two or three parts of Amla, Methi, or Hibiscus powder... plus some oil or water.

Once again, sorry about your experience.

Knowledge is power.

Yea, I thought the mix was supposed to be one part shikakai to two parts amla or some other moisturizing powder. I did the mix like that w/amla and one cup of boiling hot water plus an equal amount of cold water and just poured over my head. the results were great after I dc'ed w/ors replenishing pack. This is the first I'm hearing about a paste but I'll stay away from that. Love the shikakai bar as well!

Candy_C

My Experience with Shikakai Powder
http://www.hairsmystory.com/2008/01/my-experience-with-shikakai-powder.html
Last week, I finally got my bottle of Shikakai. Shikakai (Shee-KAA-KI-EE) stand for "fruit of the tree" and is a natural cleanser used to stop dandruff,strengthen hair, and detangle.
I'm not sure if I've expressed my obsession with Ayurveda and Indian hair products, but I love pure, organic Indian hair oils. Dabur is my favorite brand and my two faves of theirs is Dabur Jasmine Oil and Amla oil. UGH! My hair gets so strong and shiny when I use those oils in my braid-outs. So, when I saw several of the ladies bragging about their wonderful experience with hair powders, how they were steeping them to make shampoos and tea rinses, I had to jump on it. Oh! And when Candy_C posted that Ayurveda hair powder grew her hair all the way to waist length in to weeks, I pinned hardcore. Then, one of the ladies offered to send a bottle, free of charge, if I just paid for the shipping.

According to the responses AsuBeauty's thread (who had a hard time with Shikakai) it is best to pre-poo hair with oils before using the Shikakai powder. The night before I saturated my hair in Amla and Coconut Oil, slept on it with a shower cap until the next morning.
I read that the best way to prepare Ayurveda is in a tea and that the easiest way to do so was to put it in the coffee pot. So, I steeped it the same way you do with coffee. It came out a mess. I also mixed the powder together with about 2 tbsps. of Amla oil and Coconut Oil, and water. Mixed it together, slathered Paul Mitchell The Detangler all over my hair and headed to the shower.
I got in and rubbed the hard paste all over my head. As I was rubbing I started to noticed that it got stiffer and stiffer, hardening on my hair. I tried rinsing it out, but my hair was super-tangled and knotted. I shampooed with Phytospecific Vital Force Shampoo, and a little better results. I applied the rinse with the Shikakai on again and it instantly became hard again. I washed again with the Vital Force, and did a final rinse with Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner.
I tried to moisturized my hair Miss Key 10 en 1 conditioner. I applied heat to it for an hour, maybe an extra half- hour. Still, no good. I returned to my "old faithful" Queen Helene Cholesterol conditioner (mixed with other stuff) for another 30 minutes and still no use!
Even a hot oil treatment with Safflower Oil, Camellia Oil, Coconut Oil And Queen Helene Jojoba Oil Treatment showed no sign of change.
Garnier's Leave-ins nor Lacio Lacio did a thing for my hair. I rolled my hair with twist rods and then did Bantu knots. Usually, with Bantu Knots, my hair always coils out into beautiful fluffy curls. This time, it was a hard, dry mess with puffy knotted kinks. I couldn't get it lay, so I loved like a curly-haired Buckwheat. I thought, "maybe it was the new Pantene Mousse for Volume that did it to me. It was my first time using this product." But, it
cannot be, I happen to like mousse and so does my hair.
So, about a couple hours ago, I did a co-wash with The Detangler again, and I saw a tiny change. My hair is still tangled, but not unbearably so.

My verdict: I understand that one may want a deep cleanser that is natural and sulfate-free. I know I might have done something wrong with how I prepared the powder. Shikakai is supposed to be a better version clarifying shampoo because it fortifies with every wash, but the work and stress of putting it together is too much. The powder is about the equivalent of using ApHogee Treatment for relaxed hair; the untouchable helmet hair feeling and then an intense deep conditioner after. Yet, somehow, I found the ApHogee to be so
much less confusing. I lost a lot of hair and got some crazy shedding trying to use this stuff. I probably won't ever repurchase, but I'm going to find better ways to use what is left over. Maybe i can mix it into a treatment for super strong hair.

I'm going to finish drying my hair and then baggying it all night, in hopes to get the moisture level back up. Probably on Wednesday I will co-wash and deep condition it again, then rewash on Sunday.

Sheesh. It even turned my neck black.

2 things...

1. i never ever said it grew my hair to waist length in two weeks!!!! my hair was already waistlength, it just grew me an extra inch in two weeks (so please unquote me)

2. noooo why did you rub it in?! no wonder you had a bad experience. all you are to do is mix the shikakhai powder WITH amla powder (never on its own ever ever EVERRRRRRR that is very drying) and slowly pur it over your head without manipulating your hair

so please newbies or anybody who is concerned, read my posts there are instructions there, because there is a tried and true method to use these pwoders and if you dont do it right you can end up in a mess!!

• NEVER USE SHIKAKAI POWDER ON ITS OWN
  • MIX THE POWDER WITH AMLA, MAKA, OR ANYTHING ELSE
  • DO NOT MANIPULATE THE HAIR WHEN POURING THE SOLOUTION OVER YOUR HEAD
  • YOU THEN RINSE OUT THOUROUGHLY WITHOUT TOUCHING THE HAIR

i dont want to sound NASTY but people may think because you quoted me that i told you how to do the rinse that way, so please look for instructions before attempting these rinses

no Shikakhai isnt like aphogee in any way

and shikakai wouldnt have this effct if it was mixed with other powders

Candy_C

I am sorry about your mishap.

What's up with people not mixing Shikakai with something conditioning like Methi, Amla, or Hibiscus powders? It's a really drying herb, even if you mix it with just oil. And I am so sorry that you rubbed it in (which breaks apart the cortex). Bigghead's instructions to just paste it on are correct.

Rule of thumb is actually one part ShiKaKai, to two or three parts of Amla, Methi, or Hibiscus powder... plus some oil or water.

Once again, sorry about your experience.

Knowledge is power.

THANKYOU!! PLEAS EPEOPLE THIS IS IMPORTANT LET IT SINK IN!

almondjoi85

Hey Candy C.... how do you feel about the shikakai shampoo bar? because I tried it and fell in love! I was thinking about trying the powders but is it really that much different from the bar?

bravenewgirl87

2 things...

1. i never ever said it grew my hair to waist length in two weeks!!!! my hair was already waistlength, it just grew me an extra inch in two weeks (so please unquote me)

2. noooo why did you rub it in?! no wonder you had a bad experience. all you are to do is mix the shikakhai powder WITH amla powder (never on its own ever ever EVERRRRRRR that is very drying) and slowly pur it over your head without manipulating your hair

so please newbies or anybody who is concerned, read my posts there are instructions there, because there is a tried and true method to use these pwoders and if you dont do it right you can end up in a mess!!
  • NEVER USE SHIKAKAI POWDER ON ITS OWN
  • MIX THE POWDER WITH AMLA, MAKA, OR ANYTHING ELSE
  • DO NOT MANIPULATE THE HAIR WHEN POURING THE SOLOUTION OVER YOUR HEAD
  • YOU THEN RINSE OUT THOUROUGHLY WITHOUT TOUCHING THE HAIR
i dont want to sound NASTY but people may think because you quoted me that i told you how to do the rinse that way, so please look for instructions before attempting these rinses

no Shikakhai isnt like aphogee in any way

and shikakai wouldnt have this effct if it was mixed with other powders

Yea, no problem. I understand. I also wrote at the bottom that I may have mixed it and did it wrong. But, i'll make sure to correct it. I kinda see when I went wrong, but after I co-washed, this morning my hair was much more managable and and not as hard.

Wait?! you cannot use it on it's own? :blush:

Oops!:look::lachen::lachen::lachen: My b.

Monigirl

Shikakai is very strong and will strenghten the hair allot. I make a tea when I use it.

I use about a half tablespoon of shikakai powder or more depending on how my hair feels then I add a whole tablespoon of amla powder and one tablespoon of coconut oil to one cup of hot boiling water and cool it down with 1/2 cup cool water or some ice cubes. Pour over my head and hair while in the sink or shower. I don't scrub or rub (wait 5 mins) then rinse out forever. Then DC for 30 mins or more.

I also use these other mixtures:

2 Tbspn Amla Powder
1 Tbspn Aritha Powder
1 Tbspn Brihma Powder
1 Tbspn Coconut oil
Add that to 1 cup very hot water
Mixed very well
Add 1/2 cup cold water
Pour over head in sink or shower
Let sit for 5 mins in hair
Rinse
DC with conditoner of choice mixed with jojoba oil

2 Tbspn Amla Powder
1 Tbspn Skikakai Powder
1 Tbspn Coconut Oil
Add to 1 cup very hot water
Mix very well
Add 1/2 cup cold water
Pour over head in sinl or shower
Let sit in hair for 5 to 10 mins
Rinse
DC with conditioner of choice

I learned my powder mixing tips from CandyC. :grin:

Last edited:

Candy_C

Hey Candy C.... how do you feel about the shikakai shampoo bar? because I tried it and fell in love! I was thinking about trying the powders but is it really that much different from the bar?

hey

i love the bars too

i use them every 4 weeks in place of shampoo now. as you may or may not know, after using just oils and powders for a month, the hair does tend to become a bit too shiney, too straight and built up, shampooing is needed - but i find hair bars just as efefctive and less irritating to my scalp

i use Seelan Sabun and the Saada Sabun soap these are homade (sls als-paraben free) glycerin soaps

x

Last edited:

almondjoi85

hey

i love the bars too

i use them every 4 weeks in place of shampoo now. as you may or may not know, after using just oils and powders for a month, the hair does tend to become a bit too shiney, too straight and built up, shampooing is needed - but i find hair bars just as efefctive and less irritating to my scalp

i use Seelan Sabun and the Saada Sabun soap these are homade (sls als-paraben free) glycerin soaps

x

I didn't know that... I'm obviously not ready to experiment with the powders yet. I'll just keep reading and trying to learn first.

lala

I can't use Shikakai powders to wash my hair because it makes my hair hard and dry. I have success with Shikakai soap and an oil, though.

I can't use them either :nono:. Several years ago, I purchased and applied some oils (monoi de Tahiti, castor, jojoba, emu oil and camelina) and then rinsed with shikakai. The instructions were to "add 1 T of powder to 1 cup of boiling water and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Then use the "tea" to rinse your hair with".

My hair was freeze-dried :blush: when I used it and I got the instructions from the owner at FNWL. It took me all day to get my hair where it could be combed. I used every oil & conditioner that I had. I lost a lot of hair that day. I was sooOOOO mad!!! I threw it out and figured that I couldn't use it for my type of hair....

angellazette

I make shikaikai in coconut oil from the powders. I prepoo/oil cleanse with it. I am scared of the pastes/teas. On rinsing, my hair is always very soft.

I do the same...shikakai powder and amla powder steeped in coconut oil and my hair stays mad soft. I use it to prepoo and to seal in moisture.

Last edited:

bravenewgirl87

Hey, I did Shikakai again today and got pretty good results. I took everyone advice. I oiled my hair with coconut oil and vo5 Moisture Milks conditioner. I made a paste of the conditioner, Amla oil and Shikakai powder.
It was a little water-y at first, so I drained a bit off. I basted my hair with the paste, let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then I went into the shower. I only lost four hair because of slight manipulation.

I shampooed with CON to get out the rest of the flakes and sat with my hair under the shower head.
After, I deep conditioned with MOP, Aloe Vera, Pantene R&N Mask, silk amino acids and orchid complex.

My hair was still a little rough, but not too bad. I was just careful when I detangled. I used Nioxin Silk Elixir leave-in and Blended Beauty Silk Shake to detangle and rollerset. So far, so good.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I just add my powders to my conditioner. My hair has never been so happy! A pleasant side effect is that my grays have been darkening and my new growth has a sheen that I've never seen before. With the use of Bee Mine serum with it, my hair has a nice sheen too it. I also use Durbur vatika coconut oil as my daily oil rinse. This coconut oil has henna in it. I think that my be changing my color. These products are helping my hair to get really healthy.

Whisper

[QUOTE=DDtexlaxd;5544081]I just add my powders to my conditioner. My hair has never been so happy! A pleasant side effect is that my grays have been darkening and my new growth has a sheen that I've never seen before. With the use of Bee Mine serum with it, my hair has a nice sheen too it. I also use Durbur vatika coconut oil as my daily oil rinse. This coconut oil has henna in it. I think that my be changing my color. These products are helping my hair to get really healthy.[/QUOTE]

OH you add them to the conditioners you say:scratchch. That may be something I can deal with. I'm seeing grays pop up from the window to the wall and me no likey.:nono: Which powders do you use?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I use brahmi and shikakai powder. I hope I spelled it right. Before I do that, I use my vatika coconut oil and do a 15 minute scritch session. I leave the powder conditioner on for a half hour and rinse out. My hair feels really strong and good after this. I rinse it out with another conditioner, just for my own preference. My hair has really responded well to this. I'd also like to add that this will last me a long time because I do this 2X a week. I do the daily oil rinses with the vatika coconut oil. I'd also like to add neem powder to the mix. I have to read up again on the powders and what they are good for. For me, this is an easy and non messy way to add ayurvedic powders to my regimen. I found out this regimen from someone on the board. I forgot who it was.:blush:

Whisper

Thanks much DD!!!, I will try using the coconut oil as a rinse, and add the brahmi to the conditioner

hurricane

i am using candy c's method. i pre-poo and use 1 part shikkaki to 3 parts amla. i make a tea and pour it over my head let it sit for 2 minutes then rinse for 10 to 15 minutes. put on ors and let it sit for an hour. rinse then seal my ends with avococo oil and the rest of my hair with castror oil, amla, and coconut oil.

2 days later my hair is kinda dry so i pre-poo again and start the process over on the third or fourth day.

i am sorry that there are some who are having problems. i would just use the tea it is effective and if you want to make pastes i would do that later. i have some henna that i want to use but i am going in baby steps. first the teas and next the henna. i think that i would be ready to use henna at the end of this year.

you could also use the shikkaki/amla mix. then do a moisturizing mix a couple of days later. like the brahmi rinse. remember to use it as a tea.

infojunkie

O.k. I was feeling pretty good about trying this this weekend but this post scared the bejebus out of me! I'm glad I read it all the way through and you ladies confirmed that I was on the right track.

Hope all is going well for the O.P.

bravenewgirl87

O.k. I was feeling pretty good about trying this this weekend but this post scared the bejebus out of me! I'm glad I read it all the way through and you ladies confirmed that I was on the right track.

Hope all is going well for the O.P.

It did the second time I did it. I learned my lesson.:lachen: Now, I love Shikakai.

SparklingFlame

Man, looking at the results in this thread aint no way Imma be trying this.

My props to those who made it work, but I aint chancing it! :nono: