Shooting Victim Honored At Wake With Games, Snacks, Jersey And Body Propped In Chair (pic Included)

Leeda.the.Paladin

Monday, July 9th 2018, 4:57 pm CDT

A New Orleans man was honored at his wake with some of his favorite things (Source: Charbonnet Labat Glapion Funeral Home)

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - A family of a teenager killed in a shooting in the Florida area of New Orleans last month honored him at his wake with some of his favorite activities.

Renard Matthews, 17, was killed on June 26 near the intersection of Independence and Tonti streets.

Matthews attended McDonogh 35 High School. He also loved to play video games and the Boston Celtics.

During his wake at Charbonnet Labat Glapion Funeral Home in Treme, Matthews’ family chose to remember him with what he loved most.

He was dressed in his Celtics jersey, playing NBA 2K on an XBOX with his favorite snacks and chair.

The family released images from the wake.

Matthews will be buried Tuesday.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
THIS stuff always happens in Louisiana. If you want to see a body propped up on a motorcycle or sitting at a table playing spades wearing footies it always happens in some ole Weekend At Bernies Parish someplace in Louisiana.

Florida may be crazy. California may be flighty. New York may be loquacious. But Louisiana is just insert a word weird. Between the voodoo of bounce music and sucking crawfish heads, when the apocalypse begins it will start in Louisiana.

danniegirl

I have seen these before...... i also took a death and dying class way back when i was in school in the 90's and this ritual goes way back ....well not the games and cereal....but mourning the dead as they were in life...warriors were burried with swords .....people killed the mans horse and put them in the graves together...folks were sent out to sea on there boats....

There are a lot of death rituals like this one.

I hate that everrything gets shared on the internet to be ridiculed and torn apart

ladysaraii

THIS stuff always happens in Louisiana. If you want to see a body propped up on a motorcycle or sitting at a table playing spades wearing footies it always happens in some ole Weekend At Bernies Parish someplace in Louisiana.

Florida may be crazy. California may be flighty. New York may be loquacious. But Louisiana is just insert a word weird. Between the voodoo of bounce music and sucking crawfish heads, when the apocalypse begins it will start in Louisiana.

Right. I was prepared to raise my eyebrows until I saw new Orleans.

Proudpiscean

Yep, Louisiana and Puerto Rico.
F7A86275-8995-42DE-B519-0D1706E17040.jpeg

metro_qt

I have seen these before...... i also took a death and dying class way back when i was in school in the 90's and this ritual goes way back ....well not the games and cereal....but mourning the dead as they were in life...warriors were burried with swords .....people killed the mans horse and put them in the graves together...folks were sent out to sea on there boats....

There are a lot of death rituals like this one.

I hate that everrything gets shared on the internet to be ridiculed and torn apart
Yes, I agree, especially about the ridicule, but I'm glad they are posted for people to learn from...

Kanky

I try not to be judgy about how people grieve but :look:

I hope that his loved ones find comfort and peace.

Crackers Phinn

I was trying to look up this ancient art of propping up dead bodies as funeral rites and managed to miss the ancient Egyptians but I did come across this gem.

New Orleans, which has long boasted of its ability to put the “fun” in funeral, seems like the place where this kind of thing would catch on, and Mr. Charbonnet boasts that his 132-year-old funeral home is well known for its funeral parades.
<SNIP>
The phenomenon first appeared in Puerto Rico in 2008, four years before the first such funeral in New Orleans, with a 24-year-old murder victim whose viewing took place in his family’s living room, the body tethered against a wall. Angel Luis Pantojas’s funeral — called “muerto parao,” dead man standing — became an instant sensation

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/us/its-not-the-living-dead-just-a-funeral-with-flair.html

HappilyLiberal

Hey... watch it!!!!!!

Crackers Phinn

Hey... watch it!!!!!!
You just go have to get in line behind the Africans, the New Yawkers, The whole unFrench South, The Republic of Florida and the Midwest.

Everybody home town can get it.....especially when they earn it by proppin dead people up with wires to do karaoke

Leeda.the.Paladin

it's really awful what happened. he was just out walking the dog!!!
Omg just terrible :( Did they catch who did it?

My hairdresser is friends with the Mother of this boy and was telling me about it the other day, such a senseless death :cry3:

It made me a little depressed when she was telling me about it.
I don’t blame you for being depressed. I hope the parents have a lot of support during this time.