Should I Be Worried?

CurlTalk

I got my hair pressed last Saturday at this natural hair salon, and I adored the results: I had silky, smooth, shiny hair, root to tip, for over a week. My only drawback was the persistent heat smell about my hair afterwards; it wasn't too strong at first, so I didn't think too much of it.
My hair seemed alright at first, until I noticed the breakage later in the week: everywhere I looked, my hair was coming out; if I combed it, or ran my fingers through it or anything.
Fast forward to tonight when I washed it. I was very gentle because of the breakage, and decided to cowash and DC, as I hadn't had much product buildup on my hair over the week. As soon as water hit my hair, the heat smell amplified, this time joined with the smell of relaxer.
I am concerned because I haven't had a relaxer since August, and the only products to touch my hair in the past week have been heat protectant, a bit of moisturizer, and a few drops of Hot 6 Oil on my ends.
So I'm asking: has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?
Thanks in advance...

The heat smell coming back while washing used to happen to me when I was getting my natural hair pressed at a salon every 2 weeks when I was in 8th grade. The heat was too much for my hair and by the time I took a stand against my mother and her making me get it pressed, I had straight ends that wouldn't revert and a looser curl pattern in certain areas. Back then I knew nothing about protein treatments and such but even now I don't plan to use heat on a frequent basis and any time I do use heat I will be hitting the protein hard.

Are you still getting breakage after that first wash?

If you are I'd be somewhat worried, and really baby your hair and moisturize like the dickens and then give it a good protein treatment and see how it fares.

How was your hair's health before the heat was used tho?

Are you still getting breakage after that first wash?

If you are I'd be somewhat worried, and really baby your hair and moisturize like the dickens and then give it a good protein treatment and see how it fares.

How was your hair's health before the heat was used tho?

Not much breakage to report after the washing (thank goodness!); its more the relaxer smell I'm concerned about...
My hair was quite healthy prior to the heat; I hadn't even used a blowdrier since the begining of January..

Maybe it's from freshly relaxed hair that the heating tool was used on prior to your hair?
Perhaps some relaxer smell residue was 'ironed' on to your hair? I'm glad the breakage stopped and I'm sure after another wash the smell will leave.

I've had the smell issue before.

as long as your hair reverted i think your hair should be fine - that burning smell seems regular, i think its the burned product coming out.....i hope everything turns out just fine :)

hello all....i have been a lurker for quite some time and finally decided to get a membership....both my girls are natural and I press their hair twice a month....i am also a licensed cosmetologist and have been doing hair well over 15 years...that smell was burnt hair...too much heat being used....if your hair is breaking that is also a good indicator.....if they used a really light oil and you saw a lot of smoke plus smell you can count on some burning...the smell usually goes away after 1-2 washes....many stylists try to achieve the light fluffy look and use light oils with too much heat...hope his helps

Back