Should I chop it off?

I_shure_do_wish

Hi Ladies!

Here’s my question:

I previously relaxed my hair but didn’t care for it. I kept changing my relaxers and over processed and have been transitioning. BUT I want to go natural and relax my hair the right way. SO should I

• chop off the relaxed ends and single braid
or

relax the new growth seeing thst my plan is to grow out natural and perm again without the previous mistakes

:spinning: THANKS

Last edited:
You want to know if you should A) cut off the rest of your relaxed hair to go natural or B) Relax the 4a new growth and then go natural :perplexed
Ok, I would like to help but I guess I am not understanding the question as the second option is throwing me off. Can you restate your question.

Lol okay. I want to know if I should cut of the rest of the relaxed ends and continue going natural or just do a touch up the new growth seeing that my plan is to still relax. It may be a bit confusing

Lol okay. I want to know if I should cut of the rest of the relaxed ends and continue going natural or just do a touch up the new growth seeing that my plan is to still relax. It may be a bit confusing
Ok seeing as you still plan to relax. I would continue to do so but utilizing the knowledge you gain from LHCF on how to care for and successfully grow your hair while relaxed. If you hair is damaged, I would treat it and space out the relaxing. I've learned from this site that you really don't have to cut all your hair off and start over. I've read from others who have successfully turned their damaged hair around with proper care and products.

Why do you want to big chop? Are you having problems with the relaxed ends? I have been struggling with the abuse that I have placed on my hair and I think that you may be able to recover from the damage. You may need to just address the issues that you are having before you relax and that may help. Then you can trim a little at a time.

Why do you want to big chop? Are you having problems with the relaxed ends? I have been struggling with the abuse that I have placed on my hair and I think that you may be able to recover from the damage. You may need to just address the issues that you are having before you relax and that may help. Then you can trim a little at a time.

I agree. You should trim your relaxed hair a little at a time. Perhaps wait a little longer to relax your hair until you have enough new growth.

I think its a personal option. Many might suggest you not to do the BC, continue to relax but doing so properly, baby the old relaxed ends and gradually cut away.

However, I personally would do the big chop. For me, looking at damaged ends and dealing with them is waayyy more depressing to have than not to. I've done the Big Chop and though I hate my hair this short, the condition of my hair outweighs my length issues

Thanks ladies :yep:, I have about 2 inches of new growth maybe even more, Im just gonna do some protective styling and hide them in braids or something. I also have to take into consideration that I dont want to keep manipulating my hair

I would not chop just yet.

When I first started my hair journey, my 4b shoulder length relaxed hair was overprocessed, damaged....just simply unhealthy. I wanted to continue relaxing (well, texlaxing now), so I decided to do protein and moisture treatments, two times per week, to salvage what I could and trim as necessary. That was July 2006. Now my hair is texlaxed, healthy and BSL.

ETA: I almost forgot...I stopped using all direct heat. I airdry my hair in rollersets. This was sooo important for my hair to retain its length and health.

Last edited:
Hi! So I'm no authority at all on this and I'm new. But about 1.5 years ago, I transitioned from relaxed to natural and now I'm relaxed again. I transitioned because I didn't take care of my hair or even really now how to till LHCF (thanks guys! :grin:). I just wore braids and let my hair grow. I did not let my hair rest, although I'm pretty sure you should. But once my hair got to a length that didn't depress me, I cut off the relaxed hair. It worked pretty well for me, but again, I'm can't really say. I know that if you don't cut the relaxed off, you should really take good care of the line of demarcation because that's where the hair can break.

Hi! So I'm no authority at all on this and I'm new. But about 1.5 years ago, I transitioned from relaxed to natural and now I'm relaxed again. I transitioned because I didn't take care of my hair or even really now how to till LHCF (thanks guys! :grin:). I just wore braids and let my hair grow. I did not let my hair rest, although I'm pretty sure you should. But once my hair got to a length that didn't depress me, I cut off the relaxed hair. It worked pretty well for me, but again, I'm can't really say. I know that if you don't cut the relaxed off, you should really take good care of the line of demarcation because that's where the hair can break.

So I guess I read your question wrong, I thought you wanted to go natural for awhile and then relax. But I still think that if you take care of the demarcation line, and the rest of your hair of course, you should be ok.

Back