Should I cut my ends off?

Ms Red

I am having yet another hair issue. As I've been experimenting with finding a regimen, protective styles and deep conditioning, I've noticed that my ends are in trouble. My hair is different lengths, thanks to a stylist that I will NEVER go back to. :( The shortest part is 4", the longest piece/section is 6". My hair was cut into an angled bob (short in the back, longer in front) when she chopped off the 5 inches in September 2004. Now the hair is just in a bob that's "growing out." Problem is it's NOT growing! As posted in my last thread, when I got my last relaxer (April 7th), the stylist pulled the relaxer through to the ends even though I yelled at her to stop. :eek:

My question is that after I co-wash/deep condition my hair and after I airdry it, the ends (actually about 2.5 inches all around) are very fuzzy and brittle. Not smooth like the roots to about 3.5 inches down. I am not even 2 weeks post relaxer, and my stylist cut off 1 inch (all around) on April 7th. Should I cut off the fuzzy, (split?) ends? Then I will be left with NO HAIR! I am so scared. I know this sounds like a dumb question but I need advice. When down, my hair is past earlobes, but only by 2 inches.

I just don't see how I can reach shoulder length if I keep cutting my hair!? Is there any way I can not cut anymore and just try to protect the hair I've got? This is so hard because it's the shortest my hair has ever been (A year and a half ago my hair was healthy and 4 inches past my shoulders, but since my dad passed away and I've gotten a high-stress corporate job, my hair has been going downhill). And let me be honest-- going to a stylist who cared more about her $120 for a sew-in weave and $65 for a perm than the health of my hair was the last straw.

Please advise ladies. :)

Thanks,
cupcake

bajanplums1

Oh my goodness. I want to club that stylist over her head.

1. If you know what split ends look like, exam your ends for splits. Frizz does not mean split. When you look at ONE strand, if you see it split in 2, you have a split end. Otherwise I recommend NOT CUTTING!!! I used to have frizzy ends with shoulder lenght hair in 2003 I cut off 4 inches, it grew back SAME PROBLEM. 2004, I cut agin . In Jan 2005 I realized my ends are DRY DRY DRY and need a lot more attention htan I was giving it.

What is your current regimen?? When you air dry your ends will be frizzy unless they are moisturized and sealed.

In my album, my ends are smooth, but the do not look that way when I first wash and air dry, even when I blow dry the ends frizz out.

* Add a moisturizer + oil and then rollerset to air dry or twist into pin curls.
* Deep condition weekly with a moisturixing conditioner
* Incorporated a protein treatment for strength
* moisturize & oil your ends every night, I SATURATE my ends every night and then add a oill or grease or pomade to the ends in the morning.

Last edited:

Ms Red

BAJANPLUMS1- THANK YOU!

I have not been moisturizing and sealing the ends like you describe. I will try this as soon as I get back from the gym. It seemed like my ends always used to be fuzzy, even with longer hair, but I am trying to be SURE.

Thanks again.

kizzylonghair

cupcake said:
I am having yet another hair issue. As I've been experimenting with finding a regimen, protective styles and deep conditioning, I've noticed that my ends are in trouble. My hair is different lengths, thanks to a stylist that I will NEVER go back to. :( The shortest part is 4", the longest piece/section is 6". My hair was cut into an angled bob (short in the back, longer in front) when she chopped off the 5 inches in September 2004. Now the hair is just in a bob that's "growing out." Problem is it's NOT growing! As posted in my last thread, when I got my last relaxer (April 7th), the stylist pulled the relaxer through to the ends even though I yelled at her to stop. :eek:

My question is that after I co-wash/deep condition my hair and after I airdry it, the ends (actually about 2.5 inches all around) are very fuzzy and brittle. Not smooth like the roots to about 3.5 inches down. I am not even 2 weeks post relaxer, and my stylist cut off 1 inch (all around) on April 7th. Should I cut off the fuzzy, (split?) ends? Then I will be left with NO HAIR! I am so scared. I know this sounds like a dumb question but I need advice. When down, my hair is past earlobes, but only by 2 inches.

I just don't see how I can reach shoulder length if I keep cutting my hair!? Is there any way I can not cut anymore and just try to protect the hair I've got? This is so hard because it's the shortest my hair has ever been (A year and a half ago my hair was healthy and 4 inches past my shoulders, but since my dad passed away and I've gotten a high-stress corporate job, my hair has been going downhill). And let me be honest-- going to a stylist who cared more about her $120 for a sew-in weave and $65 for a perm than the health of my hair was the last straw.

Please advise ladies. :)

Thanks,
cupcake

Girl, I feel u. I had the same problem. I did the Big Cut at the start of my journey thninking that was me sorted. But it still continued to break and I still needed to trim after my realxer. It was then I found out that
:nono: AIRDRYING!!! :nono: was the main course.
It made my hair dry and brittle no matter what I put on it. Remember eveyone is different.

POOHBEAR help me out, it took pooh and myself a while to find that out

now my ends are sleeker and straight i dont have to maniplate as much

Try it, good luck

baglady215

I was in the same situation as you. My ends are dry and frizzy, and have been since I started my hair journey. I've come to the decision to cut them. My ends, I believe, are not just dry but damaged from bad relaxers. They appear texturized while the rest of my hair is straight. I would say keep moisturizing and protecting them, and when you finally reach a point where you can stand to see the go, chop 'em.