Should I still do my post relaxer protein treatment?

MaryJane3000

I had protein overload before I got my touch up and now Im wondering if I should do my usual Joico K Pac reconstructor or should I go for a lighter protein treatment and pick Aubrey Organics GPB?

I plan on using my ayurvedic shakakai powder to cleanse my hair and then do a honey and evoo and coconut oil treatment. Rinse that out and maybe do a quick poo with ors creamy aloe to make sure the honey doesn't stick and then do a deep condition with AO GBP or Joico and then use the AO honeysuckle rose or keracare humecto to moisturize after.

I may end with a hot oil treatment of coconut oil and evoo...

what do u ladies think?

MaryJane3000

my scalp does a tad but not really. i know relaxers break down the protein bonds in your hair, so i feel like it may have corrected that problem for me. so idk if i should start fresh n do what i normally do or b a lil more gentle with the protein this time around

taz007

I think the Joico reconstructor will be good as long as you follow it up with a good moisturizing shampoo and leave in.

I just used the reconstructor myself. I followed it up with the Intense Hydrator and I plan to use the Mizani Nighttime H2O with my rosewater/glycerin mix as a leave in and baggy overnight.

Junebug D

Good question. I will be in the same boat soon enough. I don't plan on doing any protein the first wash afterward. I'd see how my hair felt after a normal moisture DC and do the protein with the 2nd wash. I figure my hair won't fall out any more quickly if I skip the very first post-relaxer protein treatment. :look: If you must, I would definitely choose the lighter GPB. I'll err on the side of caution because I definitely don't want to go through this again! :nono:

sqzbly1908

You can use a deep moisturizing conditioner for the first few times after shampooing and then incorporate the protein back into your regimen

MaryJane3000

oh my hairs already been relaxed, i got a touch up last say. It was Keracare Fiberguard and she did the midstep fortifying treatment. Protein overload was just a pain and Im still not really sure if its balanced yet. i just know it feels silky smooth.

sqzbly1908

oh my hairs already been relaxed, i got a touch up last say. It was Keracare Fiberguard and she did the midstep fortifying treatment. Protein overload was just a pain and Im still not really sure if its balanced yet. i just know it feels silky smooth.

@bolded - That is a good sign...the relaxer and conditioners may balanced you out...if you still had protein overload you would definitely be able to tell even after a relaxer...