Should I stop doing braid-outs right before a relaxer?

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I read in another thread that you should stop doing braid outs at least two weeks before your relaxer. If you don't, this will cause major breakage when you get your relaxer.

Is there any way to continue doing braid-outs before your relaxer? I was going to continue them until right before (as in 4-5 days) my relaxer. I'm about 7-weeks post and it looks like braid outs are the only thing saving my hair from breaking off. I've never stretched past 6 weeks and lived to tell about it! :lol:

What else could I try if I can't continue my braid-out? French twist? French braid? I'm horrible at bunning. I don't think getting a relaxer before 5/23 will be possible either, we're swamped at work.

Mook's hair

I know some people who can take braids out and immediately get a relaxer 1 or 2 days later and have no problems.

I can't do it. I need the 2 week frame to let my scalp & hair rest prior to relaxers. I've experienced harsh chemical burns as a result of not allowing 2 weeks. I've only experienced mild breakage from it, my problems are usually scalp related from too much manipulation because my braidouts are always from cornrows.

It's dangerous to relax so close to unbraiding cornrows or small single braids; just like you can't relax so close to washing your hair.

I think you might be able to do it if instead of cornrows you do a bigger braidout maybe with 2 or 3 bigger braids. This way you wouldn't have so much stress on the hair and you wouldn't really have to mess around to close to your scalp. Other than that...Bun-bun-bun.

RubyWoo

I've heard that rule for when you wear braids w/extensions but never braidouts. When you do a braidout, your hair is only braided for a few hours or so and then you unbraid so you can rock the wavy/curly look with your hair. It's not usually kept braided for an extended period time like regular extentions. You're putting stress on your hair with extensions for an extended period of time(ex 1-2months straight) so that's why you need the resting period before relaxing. This rule doesn't really apply to braidouts so you can still do a braid out.

alexstin

There shouldn't be an issue with wearing a braidout right before getting a relaxer. Now, braids...that's a different story.:)

LadyZ

I wanted to put my hair in 5 cornrows and leave them in a week before my touch up... am I headed for trouble doing this... When I take them out I plan to clarify, do an Aphogee hard core, and deep condition... then just bun, bun until my touch-up 7 days later... Is this a bad idea?

TIA... Ladies

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I wanna know too. :)

I put braids in my hair and leave them for two days (over the weekend or so) and then take them out for my braid out. I don't wear extentions or anything. I should be OK, although I probably will wear a bun right before I get my relaxer so I can see my new growth and take my hair pics.

bravenewgirl87

i don't know about two weeks, but yes. Most hairstylist don't think its a good idea to get hair relaxed right after taking your braids out. I think its bc the relaxer might not take as well?:confused::perplexed