Should I switch to a milder relaxer again??

Crystalicequeen123

Hi Ladies,

I'm a type 4a/b fine-haired sister, and I'm debating on whether or not I should go back to the DE mild shea butter relaxer, or just to continue with the DE regular. DE= Design Essentials.

I liked how THICK and long my hair was growing when I had the milder relaxer in my hair, but I like the silky feel and look of the regular relaxer that I currently have in my hair. I look more polished. Plus, I didn't like how my hair would shrink with the humidity when I had the milder relaxer. It seemed like my hair would rarely hold straight styles (or any style for that matter) :ohwell: . And I like having versatility.

BUT...on the other hand, I also don't like how my hair is a bit thinner now with the regular relaxer.

I'm about to get my touch-up this Friday (13 weeks post--whew!), and I need to tell my stylist what she should put in my hair. Do you ladies think that I should just stick it out with the reg. strength relaxer and just increase the time that I stretch (currently I stretch anywhere from 10-12 weeks) OR...should I switch to the milder relaxer?

What have your experiences been with a milder relaxer?? Pros? Cons??

Last edited:

sunshinelady

Not sure what you should do. General rule seems to be that as long as you don't follow up with a bunch of manipulation and heat, then milder is better and will result in less damage.

Whatever you do, choose one and stick to it. If you go to a mild one after a regular, won't your hair have two different textures?

lana

Well I'm texlaxed and I love how thick and healthy my hair is, it's getting long too girl. :drunk: My hair looks like a really good press, still thick and getting long. So......

I would say to go back to a mild/sensitive scalp relaxer, cause why have long hair without the thickness? Your hair responds better (it sounds like) to the mild relaxer. I know you probably like how straight it gets with regular. But that might be too much on your hair. If it's not thick and long...do you still want it?

freshlikemoi

Funny thing is, I was contemplating the same thing. My decision is to get the stronger relaxer. My reasoning is, I usually stretch for about 13 weeks so if I want to experience with my texture a bit I have the ability to., But when I want it straight, then I want it nice and straight.

Hope this helps.

beana

I was faced with a similiar decision... i chose to relax with DE regular, because this relaxer gets my hair straight and silky and leaves enough body for my hair to stay thick.

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I'll take the advice on the board and just stick with DE regular...at least for now. It's a pretty gentle relaxing system. It's MUCH gentler than even the Affirm "mild" (they should be ashamed to call that relaxer "mild" lol!) I was getting in my hair.

I think what I'll do is increase my stretching time from 10/11 weeks to 13 weeks, and also use some castor oil to see if this helps to thicken up my hair. Especially my edges.

The DE regular has my hair looking really nice and on point most of the time. :yep: It usually gets my hair straight but with some body. And before my sew-in weave fiasco, my hair was pretty much thriving even with the regular strength relaxer. Now that my hair has been somewhat damaged from the weave, I was wondering if I should switch to a milder relaxer, but I think I'll see if the castor oil and stretching helps.

If that doesn't work, then somewhere down the line I may switch back to the DE mild w/shea butter.