Should type 4Bs texturize to retain length?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i agree with all the regimen tweaking suggestions. :grin:
however, if you truly feel like you're doing all the right things EXTERNALLY, softblackcotton, i'd like to inquire about your diet/exercise/water intake. sometimes that really matters for some people.

Imani

This thread is interesting. I'm a definite 4b (no mix), and I have never had hair past my shoulders my entire life. But I think it could if I had better hair practices.

I do think its very possible to retain length as a 4b natural especially if you wear your hair up alot (braids, twists, etc). My mother has grown her hair out several times (she only wears braids, twists, puffs, etc. and has had a few sets of dreds. I have never seen her with straight hair), she has been natural since the eighties and has 4b hair that is extremely dry (if you touch it, it feels a little softer than a brillo pad) with no defined curl pattern. She has those little curlies in the shower after she washes her hair as well and they have not hindered her growth.

classychic1908

You mentioned aloe vera gel is in your daily spray mix. I don't know if this is the gel from the plant leaf or a bottled gel. If it is the bottled kind, maybe, consider swapping that out for aloe vera juice. I find the gel to be slightly drying because of the other ingredients in it. Aloe vera juice, though is very moisturizing. I also think adding a light protein DC like AOGBP or coconut oil mixed with an egg, once a week, would be beneficial.

I wanted to add Sonce to the list of fotki's to check out. Her hair is gorgeous!!!

Fhrizzball

Perhaps trying a different protective style may be the way to go as well. I know for me personally prolonged use of braids weakened my hair strands. Also maybe incorporating mild protein reconstructors to help fortify your hair strands. I find I have to moisturize twice a day as opposed to once.

anon123

It's not necessary, but it might be helpful. If you don't mind the look of texlaxed hair, you might give it a try. Especially if, after another 1/2 year you have tried a few more methods and find your hair is not making progress.

vkb247

I think that your hair looks wonderful and I think everyone is impatient for growth at the beginning of their journey. I am not natural and I am not mostly 4b but I am wondering if you are keeping your hair stretched out most of the time. I think that particularly with 4b or fine highly textured hair letting your shrink up or doing wash and go's can cause problems with detangling and breakage. Basically you just put your hair in braids or twists and keep them in through out washing and detangling just dealing with one section at a time and then redo them before moving to the next one.

Can you tell I stalk a lot of fotkis? :grin:

Last edited:

Bouncin&Behavin

I have 4B hair (or 4a..not sure yet >.<) and I am thinking of texlaxing my hair because after washing there is so much shrinkage so its almost impossible to detangle without a ton of breakage >.<

have you thought of texlaxing aswell? =D

Have you tried detangling in the shower under running water (with tons of conditioner on your hair)? I find that the comb slides right through under water and then it's easier to comb through once I get out.

Keedah

Why don't you try heat straightening or light blowdrying to help keep your hair stretched? I know plenty of 4bs who've had success using those methods.

Ive been battling my knots too. When my hair was relaxed it was BSL and after 3 years of being natural Im just above APL :nono: Im going to use blowdrying and occasional straightening to hopefully prevent my hair from tangling so much.

dynamic1

If you wear braids 97% of the time and your hair is not thriving, perhaps braids are the culprit and not your hair type. Have you tried braids and twists sans extensions? Sometimes, hair needs a break from extensions of any kind. Chemicals in the hair, tension, lack of access to the strands, etc. could all create problems for your hair. Many of the 4s with long hair wore braids w/ or w/o extensions but not on such a prolonged basis. While a texturizer may make it easier for you, it may not if you don't know how to deal with texturized hair either. Do you intend to texturize it and continue to wear braids?

MrsHdrLe

I hear you OP. I decided to texlax this week end b/c my hair was so tangly (if that's a word) and I sweat heavily at the gym 5 days a week. So given my styling preferences and life style, I decided to texlax and don't regret my choice. I was able to do a roller set for the fist time w/o heat and had bouncy, shiny, and most importantly significantly less tangled hair for the first time. What's important to consider no matter what you decide is to take into account how you would normally wear your hair. If you plan on continuing to wear extensions with your braids, I don't see the point really. PS is a hair saver in most cases, diet matters, and the right tools can make a lot of difference. Good luck in your hair journey. Another thing to consider, chemicals are permanent so don't do anything you really don't want for the long haul.

Platinum

Have you considered trying a "natural" texturizer treatment like the Caramel treatment or Cherry Lola? They aren't a permanent solution but maybe they can help.

Also, I'm a 4b (coarse) transitioner. I've been transitioning in braids and Senegalese Twists for almost a year. I don't have a problem with dryness or breakage. Have you tried baggying at night? Also, you may want to consider using a curl moisturizer to help your hair stay moisturized while you're in braids. (I like Worlds of Curls moisturizer)

Last edited:

NikStarrr

I'm not a 4b--but most 4b's I see hair tends to be a lot drier than other types. That may be what's stunting your progress, and if that's the case texlaxing won't fix it.

yardyspice

I was just going to lurk on this thread but as a 4b with incredibly soft hair I feel I must weigh in. I bc'ed 10 years ago and it really has taken me most of that time to find what products work for my hair. Until I did, my hair was dry, coarse, and broke most of the time. Not any more and it's because I stay away from 'cones. I found about them from another board and didn't take it seriously but now I do because I have experimented to see if they make a huge difference and they do.

OP, I would suggest going through your products to make sure there is nothing in there with cones. Also, don't wash your hair with shampoo at all. If you feel you must wash your hair use African Black soap diluted after you have prepooed. I've been doing a shikakai cowash using VO5 moisture milk mixed with mustard oil followed by either TJ Nourish or unmixed VO5 and boy has it made a difference in my hair. I swear by unrefined shea butter and water for my laid back days and if I have to go out then I use my shea/coconut oil/eco styler pudding. I always put just a little castor oil on my ends. Sorry for the long post but I feel your pain and I don't want you to texturize which I did twice and have to lose your beautiful progress.

softblackcotton

Hey softcotton, A couple of questions:

1) When you use heat, what products do you apply to your hair beforehand?

2) Maybe you should incorporate coconut oil (for strength) into your regimen. Have you tried that?

3) What is your detangling routine? Do you detangle in sections with deep conditioner? What conditioner do you use to detangle? Also what tools?

1) The last time I used heat which was last weekend to prepare my hair for the braiders; I used Sally's Generic Brand Version of Chi IronGaurd Heat Protector.

2) I have some Organic Coconut oil (solid form) but I have only used it once before in my conditioner. Hmmm I didn't know it was a strengthener I will definitely mix a bit in my daily spritz. Thanks so much!

3) Since starting LHCF I've been detangling in 8 sections when my hair is freshly washed (I was in braided sections also) I saturate my hair with moisture and use a wide toothed comb (with seams unfortunately) and then a denman brush. I lost way more hair in December when I tried dentangling in the shower when my hair was soaking wet.

softblackcotton

I was just going to lurk on this thread but as a 4b with incredibly soft hair I feel I must weigh in. I bc'ed 10 years ago and it really has taken me most of that time to find what products work for my hair. Until I did, my hair was dry, coarse, and broke most of the time. Not any more and it's because I stay away from 'cones. I found about them from another board and didn't take it seriously but now I do because I have experimented to see if they make a huge difference and they do.

OP, I would suggest going through your products to make sure there is nothing in there with cones. Also, don't wash your hair with shampoo at all. If you feel you must wash your hair use African Black soap diluted after you have prepooed. I've been doing a shikakai cowash using VO5 moisture milk mixed with mustard oil followed by either TJ Nourish or unmixed VO5 and boy has it made a difference in my hair. I swear by unrefined shea butter and water for my laid back days and if I have to go out then I use my shea/coconut oil/eco styler pudding. I always put just a little castor oil on my ends. Sorry for the long post but I feel your pain and I don't want you to texturize which I did twice and have to lose your beautiful progress.

Thanks your post has been really helpful to me. I started doing a no-poo and I could really tell a difference in terms of dryness. Lots of ladies helpful advice on this thread and board say that moisture is the key. I just looked at my conditioner Cream of Nature (new version) has cones and my heat protector Generic Brand from Sally's has many, many cones. OMG, I just had an epiphany! The breakage really increased after I used the a ton of the heat protector cause it coated my hair in cones. Before when I was washing and detangling I was mainly losing shed hairs, because I kept my braids saturated with moisture for the last two months! then after the heat protectant and pressing I started losing many pieces of hair and my hair became really tangled especially at the roots and ends. WOW! Thanks for helping me realize this!

Last edited:

softblackcotton

i agree with all the regimen tweaking suggestions. :grin:
however, if you truly feel like you're doing all the right things EXTERNALLY, softblackcotton, i'd like to inquire about your diet/exercise/water intake. sometimes that really matters for some people.

I don't exercise really :sekret:. I eat pretty okay. Little to no junk food except skittles, kit kats, and cheetos occasionally. I take iron, calcium, chlorella, garlic, sprulina, biotin, and multi vit. I eat alot of whole wheat and grains. Drink mostly water. I know I need to exercise more, in fact I'm starting a kick-boxing and body conditioning course this week!

softblackcotton

Have you considered trying a "natural" texturizer treatment like the Caramel treatment or Cherry Lola? They aren't a permanent solution but maybe they can help.

Also, I'm a 4b (coarse) transitioner. I've been transitioning in braids and Senegalese Twists for almost a year. I don't have a problem with dryness or breakage. Have you tried baggying at night? Also, you may want to consider using a curl moisturizer to help your hair stay moisturized while you're in braids. (I like Worlds of Curls moisturizer)

Hmmm I have never heard of Caramel treat or Cherry Lola. I will do a search for thread about them. I have not tried baggying because my hair is braids most of the time. Can you baggy while in braid extensions? I do use a curl moisturizer called Royal Braids Herbal Moisture Glaze. It works pretty well. I've noticed since I've started moisturizing my hair under the braids my hair wasn't breaking all that badly as before.

softblackcotton

If you wear braids 97% of the time and your hair is not thriving, perhaps braids are the culprit and not your hair type. Have you tried braids and twists sans extensions? Sometimes, hair needs a break from extensions of any kind. Chemicals in the hair, tension, lack of access to the strands, etc. could all create problems for your hair. Many of the 4s with long hair wore braids w/ or w/o extensions but not on such a prolonged basis. While a texturizer may make it easier for you, it may not if you don't know how to deal with texturized hair either. Do you intend to texturize it and continue to wear braids?

No actually if I texturized it I would not have to wear braids. I am relying on braids on now because when my hair is out, it takes too much of my time and I have a heavy schedule now with school, work, volunteer, and social obligations. And shrinkage really makes me lose confidence. :sad:

softblackcotton

Have you tried detangling in the shower under running water (with tons of conditioner on your hair)? I find that the comb slides right through under water and then it's easier to comb through once I get out.

I tried that last time and I saw alot of tiny pieces in the shower. :sad: I think my hair is weaker when wet.

Platinum

Hmmm I have never heard of Caramel treat or Cherry Lola. I will do a search for thread about them. I have not tried baggying because my hair is braids most of the time. Can you baggy while in braid extensions? I do use a curl moisturizer called Royal Braids Herbal Moisture Glaze. It works pretty well. I've noticed since I've started moisturizing my hair under the braids my hair wasn't breaking all that badly as before.

I baggy every night while wearing braid extensions.:yep: I've been using Worlds of Curls spray (moisture), Surge 14 (protein), and African Royale braid spray (because I like the scent and I'm trying to use up my stash).

loolalooh

1) The last time I used heat which was last weekend to prepare my hair for the braiders; I used Sally's Generic Brand Version of Chi IronGaurd Heat Protector.

2) I have some Organic Coconut oil (solid form) but I have only used it once before in my conditioner. Hmmm I didn't know it was a strengthener I will definitely mix a bit in my daily spritz. Thanks so much!

3) Since starting LHCF I've been detangling in 8 sections when my hair is freshly washed (I was in braided sections also) I saturate my hair with moisture and use a wide toothed comb (with seams unfortunately) and then a denman brush. I lost way more hair in December when I tried dentangling in the shower when my hair was soaking wet.

1) Okay, good on the heat protectant.

2) Recommend using coconut oil more often; with each wash. You're welcome!

3) Okay, I think this could be part of the problem. You've just recently improved your detangling game so give your length retention game some time to show improvement. (Detangling under the shower + detangling with seams are BIG no-nos for most 4b hair; good thing you stopped.) What moisture product are you using to saturate your hair for detangling? I find that something super thick and heavy like a cholesterol-based conditioner (e.g., LustraSilk) mixed with oil helps detangling go by with minimal/no breakage.

Anyway, keeps us posted! You seem to be on the right track.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
well since i am newly texlax as of 2/17/2010, i love it. i dont get anymore single strand knots and all of my length shows without me having to pull it with fingers. i still have thick hair, its great. so to answer you question, i dont think kinky hair needs to be relaxed to retain length but it may make it alot easier. (shrugs)