should you comb your hair dry or wet?

Lilmama1011

http://www.blackhairinformation.com...combing-your-hair-wet-or-dry-an-experiment/2/

*Print Friendly

DECEMBER 19, 2012 BY ALMA 5 COMMENTS
In 1921 an American surgeon*Evan O’Neill Kane was lying on an operating table waiting for his appendix to be removed. In impromptu fashion, he decided to see if he could actually perform the operation on himself. As he was the chief of staff at the hospital, nobody felt able to stop him. Bar for a moment when his intestines popped out of his abdominal cavity, he completed the operation successfully and was back at work operating on patients two weeks later!
Dangerous operations notwithstanding, I believe that self*experimentation as a whole is a great thing. Certainly it should be included as part of every successful hair regimen. How else would one know what works?
Natural Hair
When I first started my hair journey all those years ago, the general*consensus*was that natural hair should never go anywhere near a comb in it’s dry state. Since then, I have come across quite a few people who believe otherwise. They use the argument that hair is weaker in it’s wet state so should only be combed dry.

I have always been firmly in the ‘don’t comb your hair unless wet and doused in conditioner’ camp and my main reason for this is dry hair is brittle, so any stress applied to it by way of combing will result in breakage. Dry hair also tends to be more difficult to manipulate for the same reason.
Brittle hair and breakage as a rule tend to go hand in hand. Brittle hair as you know, is hair that has too little moisture in it.*Wet hair on the other hand is more malleable and softer which of course means that elasticity is increased.
Elasticity helps to prevent breakage because the strands can stretch considerably before reaching breaking point, a feat that is unmatched by hair in it’s dry state.*The slip provided by conditioner also makes it easier to remove tangles from hair compared to dry detangling.
The Experiment
This past weekend, I decided that a bit of self experimentation was in order. I divided some of my hair into two equal sections one for dry detangling and one for wet detangling.

*Print Friendly

DECEMBER 19, 2012 BY ALMA 5 COMMENTS
The dry hair was lubricated with plenty of coconut oil as is the practice while the wet hair was covered in a standard detangling conditioner. A wide tooth comb was used in each instance and combing was done over a clean sink so that I could catch and count the number of broken hairs in each section.
For the wet section I had a total of 3 broken hairs with the rest being shed hair while for the dry section I counted a total of 12 broken hairs with the rest being shed hair (some broken hairs in this sections were quite long too which was pretty unnerving!). Here is a picture of the wet vs dry hair bundles collected. The picture was taken after the wet section had been allowed to dry completely and fluffed up.
PS – My hair doesn’t usually shed this much, I was just coming out of mini braids that I’d had in for 6 weeks!

Apart from the broken hairs counted, visually it is also clear to me that wet detangling resulted in less hair loss overall.
Relaxed Hair
Unfortunately I didn’t perform this experiment when I was relaxed but I remember with fond*trepidation*how much I hated washing my hair because just touching wet it resulted in yet more breakage. Some studies show that relaxed hair loses 40% of it’s tensile*strength*ie it has 60% the strength of natural hair.

I don’t think I would meet much resistance to the idea that relaxed hair should be only detangled dry or at the very least just damp. The ‘wet with conditioner’ deal only applies to natural hair.
Conclusion
Wet hair is in fact weaker than dry hair. To assert that natural hair would be better detangled wet, you would have to show that the the elasticity in wet hair offsets the weakness of the hair in this state. On the balance of probabilities of where one would be more likely to suffer breakage, I would conclude that for curly natural hair, dry detangling would lead to more breakage than wet detangling.
For relaxed hair since high elasticity is not a huge consideration, it makes sense that hair should be detangled dry.
As always I would urge you to self experiment. Combing techniques vary so you may find that in your case you cause less breakage one way or the other.

Misseyl

I didn't read the entire post but my relaxed/texlaxed hair loves to be combed when it's dry. I first use my cutter comb then my rat tooth comb and I'm done.

Evolving78

i detangle my hair when it is semi dry. i don't detangle bone dry hair. i do use a comb if i have flat ironed and wrapped my hair.

Ann0804

My hair has to be wet to detangle. Its best that I dont even towel dry, but just blot it.

My hair does not like to be touched at all dry.

ckisland

I agree. Straight hair can be combed dry with no to very little issue, and curly (especially very tight hair) does better when combed wet. But slathering hair in oil and/or conditioner and detangling before washing works for a lot of naturals. I have tried that time and time again, and my hair cannot hang :nono:. I lose the least hair when it's soaking wet in the shower. Spritzing my hair wet does not do it. I need to have my hair soaked to the bone! When I straightened my hair, I could comb it anytime as much as I wanted. I loved that!

KittyMeowMeow

I think hairtype and shrinkage has a lot to do with it. Black sources tend to say "never detangle dry" while non-black sources tend to say "never detangle wet".

Higher hairtypes (4) with high shrinkage are helped by conditioners that help the comb glide through. Being wet/full of conditioner also stretches the hair a little, making it easier to comb.

Lower hairtypes (3b & lower) that get straightish when wet shouldn't be detangled wet. It is very damaging because hair stretches and breaks when you catch a snag. As well, areas that were loosely tangled become impossible to remove knots.

I have multiple textures. The 3cish (and maybe some 4 w/ low shrinkage) I can detangle wet or dry. The 3b & lower I can comb while wet, but I have to detangle dry. I dry detangle with a few spritzes of water, so it's not dry-dry.

PureSilver

What works for me:

I detangle thoroughly only on wash days in the shower with running water only with my fingers. I have tried using my denman brush and wide tooth comb on dry and wet hair in the shower but that method results in too much hair loss for my liking. If i choose to redo a plait. if it doesn't feel moisturized not to wet with moisture nor completely dry without any moisture i do not attempt to as i know that it will result in breakage.

GreenBloodyShoe

I detangle my hair (3c/4a) when damp with a wide tooth comb and my fingers. I have never tried doing it on dry hair and on wet hair I always end up ripping out chunks of hair.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
50% wet on wash days to detangle, and when straight, daily. When my hair is airdried, I comb daily, but I wash more often so my comb doesn't break or hate me either.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together