Shoulder Length 2012 Challenge

Altruisticoam

Hey just got relaxer earlier this week. My beautician had to trim about .5 inch :-(. Here is my progress pic.

Attachments

• image-2269605883.jpg
    image-2269605883.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 55

Hyacinthe

claud-uk said:
Thank you afroette - do you use porosity control? one of the other ladies advised me to use this regularly to stop my relaxed ends tangling and it works! I use Lustrasilk PC 1-2x per month and haven't had that problem since. I'm sorry you are suffering with anaemia, my DH had this and before it was diagnosed things were really bad for her, we even thought she might be taking drugs bc the symptoms were so harsh, so I absolutely sympathise. I hope you can get a prescription to help get this under control without further delay. Hugs. On a lighter note, have you tried adding castor oil to your DC? That was another recommendation from someone else (I must find out who these clever ladies were so I can credit them properly) and it's probably my #1 hair tip, I'm trying to spread the word! I use 3 parts con to 1 part castor oil.

Hi Hyacinthe, how's your HHJ going? Thanks very much for your msg - my hands were covered with at least 1 months worth of breakage just from running them through my hair :ohwell: I work hard to keep breakage under control bc I didn't have the balls to do the BC, so I dust and do a protein tx 1x per week without fail, so when things start to go wrong like this I panic, bc I only know how to prevent problems, not fix them.

I'm going to start using Aph GT at least 1x per week on my ends, between protein treatments. I only bought it to use for my flatiron next weekend but looking at the ingredients it will double up nicely as a midweek protein spritz. What do you use it for and how often are you using it? I agree 100% about the Mizani Butter Rich!!!!! My DH got it when I asked him to get the H20 but the shop was sold out. I tried it and found it did nothing for my hair, no moisture or softness or anything, not even a little bit of grease for some slip, and I was mad cost it costs $$ over here! Then one day I was flatironing and didn't have any heat protectant or serum or anything (I grew up not knowing how to care for my hair). I put a little bit of this on and flatironed... let me tell you girl you ain't never seen smoother, shinier, silkier higher quality straight hair like it!!!!! On my daughter's life, I was blown away. Idk why but somehow the texture/ingredients in the Butter Rich work with the flatiron like it was just meant to be. I cannot wait to try this again for the first time since starting my HHJ, the only thing i'm worried about is that I will be using heat protectant and idk if that will affect the way the Butter Rich works. So basically i only bought it to flatiron with bc its useless for it's intended purpose or anything else!!!!! I got the h20 bc it's the only thing I remember using on my relaxed hair that ever made it feel soft or nice. Hoping it works the same for my natural hair too, if so Mizani will be replacing Keracare in my stash :yep:

hi HairPleezeGrow, thank you for your kind words, i will update back here if my new routine works, this will help somebody else I hope. I can already tell you about the Creme of Nature Argan Oil moisturizer - I used it on one side of my head and the Ultra Care I used on the other side. Even pouring from the bottle there was a big diff. The CON is thick/rich, but the UC wasn't. The CON has more slip, went on nicely and instantly softened the hair. The UC didn't make my hair feel soft or moisturized, just damp. I got the CON bc I'm so impressed with their Argan Oil Conditioner and it has not disappointed, Straight away this became an instant staple, just like the conditioner. I recommend you try them both, they cost pennies at about £3/$4.50 each.

Will be trying the Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair con and the Vatika Egg Protein mask this weekend so will update how those worked for me. I got them both bc they are DC treatments, instructions say to leave on for at least 15 mins.

The Vitale Hair Mayo is already a staple, it's a protein tx that leaves the hair soft and heavy, not thin and dry/hard like some protein does. With some proteins I mix coconut oil in to soften the effect but no need to with this. It's perfect for regular use.

I am flatironing next weekend, first time in a couple of months and my last results were so poor that i need to get a good result this time. I considered doing a BKT but I decided to try the John Frieda 3-Day Straight bc it's cheap, washes out with your next shampoo and I have read good reviews. That together with the ORS Humidity control I should be able to get some pics before my hair reverts and starts to poof.

sorry to ramble on ladies, i feel like Rachel in Friends where she went "on and on, 16 pages front and back"!

I am gonna so try the butter rich when I do decide to flat iron,right now I'm saving up so that I can get the best flat iron for those occasions when I want to look sleek. Mizani also has a a line for naturals.
Oh yes my HHJ it's going smoothly,I'm 9 weeks post and I'm itching to relax but I will hold out until 12 weeks.
I am also visiting family for the christmas holidays in the Caribbean and I wanna braid my hair but I am so scared....like really scared they jack up my edges but I Know I won't be able to give it the attention that it needs my hair is not the strongest in the front due to years of abusing it with weaves and 3 weeks seems like a long time to have in braids. I'm gonna be on the beach a lot so I will def be washing them and throw in a dc or 2 I just wish I had another alternative. Any advice? And were you able to curb the breakage you were experiencing?

sent from IPad using LHCF app. POW!

Seamonster

I am pretty excited about my progress. It might just all be in my mind. Here is my update, what do you think?

Current Wash n Go

June Wash n Go

formysanity

I have all sorts of problems with my crown - it's dry, breaks and is itchy. I've worked hard to get rid of the itching but I'm struggling to keep my hair from breaking. Currently in braids to help me
This is where I am length wise

But this where I was

I've made good progress, but it's slow progress :(

Last edited:

claud-uk

^^ this. YaaAsantewaa you went from (let's be honest) very little hair to full even NL already And you kept going through your issues and you still made this kind of progress? Sheesh, you should pat yourself on the back, seriously. What's your regi? A couple of us on here are struggling with breakage and it's good to share ideas.

Ladies, I may not participate in the length check on the 30th... breakage for about two weeks which I don't have completely under control yet, we don't have a private bathroom and i'm about to split up with "DH" ... seriously pissed off at the moment and thinking about hiding my hair till Feb 2013.

beautyintheyes

So I been back and forth with styles but I have in my first phony pony tail I think it's cute but my friend did it and ripped some of my hair :( so I trimmed it which was needed in hopes that will save some splits that might have accrued

formysanity

^^ this. YaaAsantewaa you went from (let's be honest) very little hair to full even NL already And you kept going through your issues and you still made this kind of progress? Sheesh, you should pat yourself on the back, seriously. What's your regi? A couple of us on here are struggling with breakage and it's good to share ideas.

Ladies, I may not participate in the length check on the 30th... breakage for about two weeks which I don't have completely under control yet, we don't have a private bathroom and i'm about to split up with "DH" ... seriously pissed off at the moment and thinking about hiding my hair till Feb 2013.

claud-uk - Lets call a spade a spade - my hair was jacked! I stopped relaxing my hair and used MN and Megatek. TBH it was a combination of things, but I think wearing wigs for nearly a year helped the most. I still get breakage, especially in the crown but I try not to manipulate that area too much.

Sorry about you and DH, hope you can work through it amicably

claud-uk

Copy/paste from another thread:

Currently doing an overnight light protein and ceramide pre-poo with WGO + Vatika Egg Protein + Mizani H20 Intense + Aphogee GTK. Still working on getting my protein/moisture balance right, already had 2x protein txs this week and still getting some breakage.

Co-washing tomorrow with CON AO, then DC with Elasta QP DPR + AVG + Glycerine + Soybean + Castor oils.

I've been trimming yesterday and today, going two weeks without has meant breakage/splits and a whole lot of SSKs. I feel like I'm ALWAYS cutting my hair despite trying to take really good care of it. Maybe I need to go back to individually wrapping my braid ends with saran.

I'll do a flatiron/length check next Thursday and after I will definitely be hiding my hair, no heat, no length checks from October till February 2013.

formysanity

Does anyone find braids to be helpful in retaining growth? I'm currently in extension braids. Hope to take them out october for a length check. I'll be 2 months shy of my 3 yr hair journey. I get discouraged when I see people at full shoulder length after just a year. So depressing :(

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Does anyone find braids to be helpful in retaining growth? I'm currently in extension braids. Hope to take them out october for a length check. I'll be 2 months shy of my 3 yr hair journey. I get discouraged when I see people at full shoulder length after just a year. So depressing :(

I think they are but I can never keep mine in for more than a month or two lol and I can't wash and DC like i want to :-/ I dont believe in wasting my products on my braid hair. I still use them but not as much as I want!

claud-uk

claud-uk - Lets call a spade a spade - my hair was jacked! I stopped relaxing my hair and used MN and Megatek. TBH it was a combination of things, but I think wearing wigs for nearly a year helped the most. I still get breakage, especially in the crown but I try not to manipulate that area too much.

Sorry about you and DH, hope you can work through it amicably

YaaAsantewaa - :lol: yeah, your hair was jacked up, messed up and in serious need of therapy, I don't mind being honest if you don't, lol. That's what makes it so impressive. I can't wait to see it in another few months, you remind me of me!

Extension braids are my fave protective/growth/retention style, except that I like to be able to wash my whole hair regularly. I might go back to them for the next few months, I get guaranteed growth with them.

Last edited:

formysanity

I think they are but I can never keep mine in for more than a month or two lol and I can't wash and DC like i want to :-/ I dont believe in wasting my products on my braid hair. I still use them but not as much as I want!

Good point, I don't think you can ever get your hair completely clean with braids, but I try. I only ever use a cheapie conditioner to save wasting money.

YaaAsantewaa - :lol: yeah, your hair was jacked up, messed up and in serious need of therapy, I don't mind being honest if you don't, lol. That's what makes it so impressive. I can't wait to see it in another few months, you remind me of me!

Extension braids are my fave protective/growth/retention style, except that I like to be able to wash my whole hair regularly. I might go back to them for the next few months, I get guaranteed growth with them.

Yeah, I can't wait to take them out. I plan to cut off my texlaxed ends and be a full natural. I'm apprehensive though that i'll be disappointed with my growth.

claud-uk

Copy/paste from MBL 2013 Challenge:

Currently doing a pre-flat iron DC of Keracare Humecto + CON AO Con + Castor Oil + Soybean Oil. My SAA's just arrived in the post from ofasimplenature.com so after I rinse out this DC I'll do another light condition with Hollywood Beauty Argan Oil Con + SAA's, and rinse this through with just one jug of ACV water.

Tonight I'll spritz with Aphogee GTK + SAA's, moisturize with AVG, add a thin layer of Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Tx before twisting and leaving to airdry overnight.

Will post flat iron pics tomorrow, I got a mirror now and a new pair of digital irons lol!

beautyintheyes

My front is officially the longest it's been in my adult life!!! Big thing for me and this is the only place I can celebrate it and not look crazy lol

beautyintheyes

Before Nose length now its on the top on my bottom lip!

Attachments

• image-3627227111.jpg
    image-3627227111.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image-482879445.jpg
    image-482879445.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 42

claud-uk

Ladies, I did a failed flat iron yesterday but I did get some pics taken for length check. Again I didn't enjoy straightening my hair, I thought it was supposed to be a pleasure but its always a horrible job with a rubbish result. Next time I straighten will be my 1 year HHJ anniversary, I think I'll get it professionally done in a salon (Chocolate Rooms in Purley!)

My longest few strands at the back are about 1.5" past armpit, the rest of the back is exactly APL. The sides are about 1.5" pass collarbone, the shortest hair is at the front is now almost CHIN, whoop whoop soon be bye-bye mullet!!!!!

I need to get some comparison pics set up but here's to start:

Attachments

• october-007sm.jpg
    october-007sm.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 69
  • october-017sm.jpg
    october-017sm.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 61
  • october-016sm.jpg
    october-016sm.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 54

beautyintheyes

claud-uk said:
Ladies, I did a failed flat iron yesterday but I did get some pics taken for length check. Again I didn't enjoy straightening my hair, I thought it was supposed to be a pleasure but its always a horrible job with a rubbish result. Next time I straighten will be my 1 year HHJ anniversary, I think I'll get it professionally done in a salon (Chocolate Rooms in Purley!)

My longest few strands at the back are about 1.5" past armpit, the rest of the back is exactly APL. The sides are about 1.5" pass collarbone, the shortest hair is at the front is now almost CHIN, whoop whoop soon be bye-bye mullet!!!!!

I need to get some comparison pics set up but here's to start:

Your hair is encouraging!!!

claud-uk

Thanks Seamonster - sort of disappointing that my straightening job didn't even last the afternoon but I love the full/messy ness!

After discussing my "regi" with one of the ladies at the London meetup, I'm going to refine what I do and use fewer products (I've got a ton of different stuff to use up but eventually will be sticking to just Keracare, Mizani and CON) and hopefully get my shortest length at the front to SL or even CBL for 1 my year HHJ anniversary in Feb 2013. CBL is about 3.5" so I can't be slacking.

Protective Style:
I'll more than likely be putting my hair into braided extensions for the next four months (my best method of growth and retention) but if breakage continues to be a problem I'll go back to regular non-extension braids so I can access my hair when needed.

Daily Growth Aides:
3500mg MSM
5mg Biotin (10mg at weekends)
700mg Silica (1400mg at weekends)

Happy HHJ ladies, I'm going into lurking mode!

Attachments

• october-031sm.jpg
    october-031sm.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 36