Shoulder Length 2012 Challenge

cutiepiesensei

Soooo I haven't been on in months... so first I must say hello to all!! :)

Secondly, I'm at a point where I'm not sure what counts as SL here. I see a couple of people *cough* claud-uk *cough* that are either SL are far past that and are still around, so my excitedness for any progress I have made has kinda dimmed some lol. I'll probably be around this thread though for most of next year as well. Since I've last been on, I have had my hair "trimmed" three times, but not from and major damage (except the first time). I think I'm SL in the back, but I'm not 100% sure so that's why I wanted to know what the gauge was. I'll post a pic either tomorrow or Saturday when I take my extensions out. I had fringe bangs cut two months ago and my sides remain pretty short. Therefore, until I grow those areas out as well I dont know if I can claim "SL" even though my hair has grown. More than length, I have noticed more of a definite increase in the health of my hair. My ends used to be horrifyingly broken and I never had that lovely "V" shape in the back. Now I do :) I feel like that means I'm doing something right......Surprisingly enough, I've noticed the biggest change in my hair health when I started going to the salon more often. Now when I detangle before I wash, I get plenty of shedding, but very little breakage if any at all and it used to be the opposite. But am I supposed to be scared of shedding though? I just figure I mainly lose a lot of shed hairs when I take the time to comb it because during the week I don't comb through my hair that much if at all....And now I'm ranting......lol sorry for the long message, just had a bunch to say

heirloom

I may be a bit late joining but I thought I may as well. This will be my first challenge so I am excited. A bit of background, last year I cut my hair very short (my inspiration was rihanna, shaved at the back short fringe at the front) anyway I have finally managed to grow it all out just over a year later. Just did a final trim as there was about a 1.5-2 inch difference to my hair at the front and the back and my hair is now somewhere between chin length and SL.

What is your current length? Chin

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? 31st December

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Relaxed

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length?
Dont jump on any bandwagon without thinking it through and I want to start roller setting

What is your ultimate goal length? somewhere between BSL and WL

Hopefully ill reach my goal. It only needs to grow about 1.5 inches before its shoulder length but I have just over two months to do so. So wish me luck

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Soooo I haven't been on in months... so first I must say hello to all!! :)

Secondly, I'm at a point where I'm not sure what counts as SL here. I see a couple of people *cough* claud-uk *cough* that are either SL are far past that and are still around, so my excitedness for any progress I have made has kinda dimmed some lol. I'll probably be around this thread though for most of next year as well. Since I've last been on, I have had my hair "trimmed" three times, but not from and major damage (except the first time). I think I'm SL in the back, but I'm not 100% sure so that's why I wanted to know what the gauge was. I'll post a pic either tomorrow or Saturday when I take my extensions out. I had fringe bangs cut two months ago and my sides remain pretty short. Therefore, until I grow those areas out as well I dont know if I can claim "SL" even though my hair has grown. More than length, I have noticed more of a definite increase in the health of my hair. My ends used to be horrifyingly broken and I never had that lovely "V" shape in the back. Now I do :) I feel like that means I'm doing something right......Surprisingly enough, I've noticed the biggest change in my hair health when I started going to the salon more often. Now when I detangle before I wash, I get plenty of shedding, but very little breakage if any at all and it used to be the opposite. But am I supposed to be scared of shedding though? I just figure I mainly lose a lot of shed hairs when I take the time to comb it because during the week I don't comb through my hair that much if at all....And now I'm ranting......lol sorry for the long message, just had a bunch to say

Girl keep away from the scissors! Yeah it may just look like a lot of shed hair bc you comb thru it real good when you get the time. You probably are SL so pics please!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I may be a bit late joining but I thought I may as well. This will be my first challenge so I am excited. A bit of background, last year I cut my hair very short (my inspiration was rihanna, shaved at the back short fringe at the front) anyway I have finally managed to grow it all out just over a year later. Just did a final trim as there was about a 1.5-2 inch difference to my hair at the front and the back and my hair is now somewhere between chin length and SL.

What is your current length? Chin

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? 31st December

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Relaxed

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length?
Dont jump on any bandwagon without thinking it through and I want to start roller setting

What is your ultimate goal length? somewhere between BSL and WL

Hopefully ill reach my goal. It only needs to grow about 1.5 inches before its shoulder length but I have just over two months to do so. So wish me luck

Welcome! :)

formysanity

A couple of my braids fell out at the back and I took the opportunity to do a length check. The hair at the back of my head looks to be about 8 inches, after I discounted my texlaxed ends. December will be 2 years post texlax, so I hope to have at least 9 inches. My hair has never grown more than 4-5 inches a year, despite multiple growth aids.

mallysmommy

hey yall. sorry i haven't updated in a while. i have totatlly negleted my hair but for some strange reason i am still retaining length. :confused: i've been keeping my hair in a bun. thats about it. im due for a serious wash and dc protein and moisturizing. thank God hair grows back should i encounter any shortfalls. meh...........

grownupnai

Hello fellow challengers. So much has happened. I got a relaxer around mid-end of september. I am underprocessed, and the relaxer left me tex-laxed. I did it myself using ORS lye, but I don't think it came out as straight as I wanted it to. My left side is much wavier than the right. I think I wont get a corrective. My hair is almost like it was natural except it stays straighter much longer which is a good thing because I cut bangs into my hair. I went to a stylist who trimmed(an inch+), gave me a treatment and flat ironed my hair. My regime hasn't changed much except when I wear it straight I make sure to wrap my hair at night or comb it back and pin it under. On normal wash days I wash, deep condition or condition, twist my hair and pull it back. I then let it dry under a scarf and wear my hair in a high or bun the next day. On days that I want a straight style I wash and deep condition, twist my hair and pin it back and let it dry for about 15 hours ideally(overnight, early morning) and sometimes just wear a scarf style outside. When my hair is dry, I spray lightly with Fantasia IC straightening heat protectant, comb it through and then go through about 2 passes per small section with my Remington model s2044 flat iron. I use the model name because the same iron has a different name in the states than it does in germany. I love this flat iron. It has teflon fabric covered ceramic plates which they claim makes it less damaging than other irons. I am currently grazing(sort of) shoulder length. And finally :drum roll: new hair pics! This is on hair that I have done myself with my remington.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-29-12 at 7.57 PM.jpg
    Photo on 9-29-12 at 7.57 PM.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo on 9-29-12 at 7.57 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-29-12 at 7.57 PM #2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 73

grownupnai

I think it was the trim that gave it that healthy look. I'll make sure to trim again in late January. I love how much thicker my freshly trimmed hair looks.

4changeisgood2

Okay latest progress pic. I'm definitely seeing a difference between the pic from July in my signature and the attached pic I took yesterday. Sorry no blow dried pics just a wet pull. I was sleepy and went to bed instead of blow drying.

Attachments

• IMG_3564 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_3564 - Copy.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 49

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Okay latest progress pic. I'm definitely seeing a difference between the pic from July in my signature and the attached pic I took yesterday. Sorry no blow dried pics just a wet pull. I was sleepy and went to bed instead of blow drying.

Umm yeah ma'am you can move on to next challenge lol! You have such good progress.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I guess I can post my latest pic. I had my hair up in a puff all week so it's not washed, styled or anything. I will be back bc the site keeps crashing on me.

Eta: guess it did work anyway one was from before I wore my hair up all week and other is a pull test after having it up in puff

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121027_080031.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121027_080031.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 35
  • ForumRunner_20121027_080050.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121027_080050.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 38

4changeisgood2

Umm yeah ma'am you can move on to next challenge lol! You have such good progress.

Hahahahaha LOL! You are right HairPleezeGrow! :) Just thought I'd update through Dec, but you are right its time to move along to the 2013 APL challenge. Thank you ladies for all of your support this year! I really appreciate it!

Sent from my cell using LHCF

Im in poetic justice/salonge braids and will be in them for two more weeks which will make a month. After that im gonna protein, clarify and deep condition. And get a sew in and ill keep that in until the end of the year. So ill do my length check then.....unless my sew in is that great i hid my hair all year so im ready to see

Last edited:

Aggie

Well I trimmed my hair last month again but the last one was in April this year and I will put up comparison pics so everyone can see where I am about now. I don't think I am SL yet but I may make it in early 2013. My aim at this point is not to speed to lengthy hair right now. My main focus is thickness and judging by the pics, I'd say that I accomplished that to some degree.

The first pic was from my April hair cut and the second pic was last month's hair cut:

Attachments

• Blackberry Pics 1 005.jpg
    Blackberry Pics 1 005.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 48
  • Pictures 2012 hair and Sharon Wilson's 40th wedding anniversary 003.jpg
    Pictures 2012 hair and Sharon Wilson's 40th wedding anniversary 003.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 51

Aggie

:yep:, gonnabme1st, definitely you are there. It's time to head on over to the APL challenge or you can still strive to get full SL until the end of this year. After this challenge, I think I may just quit all these length challenges for a while and just spend time getting thicker hair instead.

Seamonster

Well I trimmed my hair last month again but the last one was in April this year and I will put up comparison pics so everyone can see where I am about now. I don't think I am SL yet but I may make it in early 2013. My aim at this point is not to speed to lengthy hair right now. My main focus is thickness and judging by the pics, I'd say that I accomplished that to some degree.

The first pic was from my April hair cut and the second pic was last month's hair cut:

Aggie wow, you are full thick neck length with the nape at SL. That is amazing. At this rate you will make Full shoulder length by Christmas! :congrats:

soulglo

:( feels like it's taking me forever to get my hair to touch my shoulders
but i'm in twist extensions and will be taking them out soon

*just keep swimming*

itismehmmkay

Love how your layers look. This is helping me to not cut into blunt cuts and just let it grow out :up:

Aggie

Love how your layers look. This is helping me to not cut into blunt cuts and just let it grow out :up:

You know I used to think that a blunt cut was the best way for me and my stylist talked me into very close layers for my hair and now that I see what she was able to accomplish doing so to my hair, I am a believer...finally!

No one else was able to get my hair to look like this and now I won't let anyone else touch my hair but her when it comes to my trims and cuts. I go to her now every 4-6 months, depending on how fast my hair is growing out.

Aggie

I guess I can post my latest pic. I had my hair up in a puff all week so it's not washed, styled or anything. I will be back bc the site keeps crashing on me.

Eta: guess it did work anyway one was from before I wore my hair up all week and other is a pull test after having it up in puff

Oooh your curly hair is so purrrrrty HairPleezeGrow :love:

soulglo

Make sure you post a pic of your progress. How long have you had the twists in?
since october 14thish-16th. I will upload progress pictures after i take them out (so maybe within the next week or so) i believe my hair is a tad longer now ..because my finger nails are most def longer than that :lol:

Attachments

• hair 003.jpg
    hair 003.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

formysanity

Who is the longest serving member on this hair challenge? I think I might be. I've been on a SL challenge for 3 years and I'm only just collar bone. I wasted 9 months with texlaxed hair, but now I'm fully natural. I am convinced it will take me 3 years to get to full shoulder length.
Anyway else feel the same?