Shoulder length/collarbone length to Armpit length?

mikimix

Right now, I am grazing CBL (which I know to a lot of people is 'true shoulder length') and I'm really trying to get to APL by the end of the year. Right now, this is the longest my hair has ever been because I blowdry and flat iron it every single week, so I'm going to stop that.
Last summer, I was NL and then by January I was CBL and have been that length since then.
I'm dying my hair tomorrow so I know that might set me back a little and that I'll have to care for my hair much more than normal.

My regimen right now is:
Shampoo once a week
Protein treatment once a week
Moisturising deep conditioner once a week
Before I blowdry and flatiron, I'd spray with heat protection spray and put in some oil moisturiser
Moisturise with Motions Oil Moisturiser twice a day (once in the morning when I'm styling my hair and before I go to sleep and put my hair in a wrap)

Oh and I'm relaxed.

What did you guys do to help you get to APL from SL/CBL?

Leesh

@mikimix, At this critical point, Protective Styling would be important. Your right at the point where the very tips of your hair are grazing the fabric of your clothes. Also, Using too much protein could be detrimental, go by what your hair is telling you, if it's balanced then do what you've been doing. May I ask, what kind of color are you using, Permanent or Semi?

Last edited:

8HoursFromHome

I'm just about where you are OP. I've been using the following once a week when I wash my hair:

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special - new to regimen
Aphogee Pro Vitamin Leave in Conditioner
Hair One w/olive oil - as leave in

The following, I use daily:
Hair One w/olive oil - as leave in
Redken Extreme Anti Snap - new to regimen - seems to be working
Hot Six Oil/Virgin coconut oil - to seal
Castor Oil - on my ends

I'm relaxed with 4b hair. I had been using heat regularly (3 - 4 days a week). Just a few weeks ago, I stopped using the heat so much. THAT was the key!! I am now retaining my length and hope to gain inches regularly now.

I've been thinking about dying so I'm interested in what you're using.

Evolving78

I am right where you are at OP, so i decided to take the protective style route.
cowash once a week with HairOne Olive Oil

Detangle in 15-20 sections/twist with HairOne

DC with Silk Elements MegaSilk (green jar)

*i rinse out conditioner/cleanser while in twists*

moisturize with She Moisture Deep Treatment Masque

seal with castor oil or Hot Six oil

wear my wig during the week

re-moisturize daily with Taliah Waajid or Scurl

that's the plan until the end of August to see if i can get to APL or closer.

btw, since you are relaxed, i recommend rod sets, straw sets, or small roller sets. i did this in the summer when i was relaxed and it helped me retain my length and make it to APL. i stayed away from direct heat.

Last edited:

clulessonhair

I am at full shoulder length now too and hope that I reach APL by the end of the year also. I dont use any heat at all!! I air dry no matter what then I always either put my hair in two celie braids or in one french braids and tuck in the ends. I am in the military so if it looks neat and professional, my leadership doesnt have much to say. I just hope that when I deploy I can keep the health of my hair and length up!

Leesh

I'm going to be using permanent dye

Also, how do I know if my hair has too much protein?

@mikimix, I ask because you stated that you were relaxed. In my walks I've learned that permanent dyes and relaxer can be a dangerous combo, I mean of course some do it and have no problems, as I've heard. But honestly, I haven't met anyone who did'nt, just food for thought! Semi would be much safer, cause there's no ammonia, no peroxide to interfer with the chemicals you already have in your hair.

It becomes brittle and crunchy, snaps off easily. You'll be able to tell something is wrong. Its good to do "Assessments" to see what you need at that time.

Here's some great information on "P/M Balance" and doing "Assessments" to figure out what you may need:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Last edited:

Cherokee-n-Black

Right now, I am grazing CBL (which I know to a lot of people is 'true shoulder length') and I'm really trying to get to APL by the end of the year. Right now, this is the longest my hair has ever been because I blowdry and flat iron it every single week, so I'm going to stop that.
Last summer, I was NL and then by January I was CBL and have been that length since then.
I'm dying my hair tomorrow so I know that might set me back a little and that I'll have to care for my hair much more than normal.

My regimen right now is:
Shampoo once a week
Protein treatment once a week
Moisturising deep conditioner once a week
Before I blowdry and flatiron, I'd spray with heat protection spray and put in some oil moisturiser
Moisturise with Motions Oil Moisturiser twice a day (once in the morning when I'm styling my hair and before I go to sleep and put my hair in a wrap)

Oh and I'm relaxed.

What did you guys do to help you get to APL from SL/CBL?

I'm transitioning now, but when I was relaxed I went from SL to APL in about that time frame. I might have gotten there sooner, but was going to a scissor happy stylist. In any event, I was rollersetting and bunning, which I think was the key to avoiding breakage and heat damage. I did moisturize twice a day, and I washed twice a week. I alternated weeks with HOT's and DC'ing, and after every relaxer, I did the Aphogee Protein treatment. Not only was my hair really long, but it was really healthy. I actually did this twice, and the first time, I finally cut it (from MBL) because it was growing too long for me to devote the time to care for it! Hope this helps!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
How do you style rollersets? The only way I know how is to blowdry it a bit after.

Rollerset on the pink or brown rollers and roll them up instead of down. That will keep your roots flat. Wrap at night. It'll give you the flat ironed look.

Caution: Double processing can be a disaster. The one thing I notice is that people choose either health/length or style. If you want long healthy hair, DO NOT double process your hair.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

jprayze

I'm also in this SL to APL stage and I started protective styling since Saturday. This is my first week of it, basically doing wet buns. I like to wear my hair down, but summer time is a good time to PS because its so much cooler. I want to dye my hair, but I think I'm going to wait a while. The good part is I don't relax my hair, so at least I won't be double processing.

MrsHdrLe

Based on what I've read here on the forum, I wouldn't add color to the mix, or at least I would either do some red highlights and see how your hair reacts, instead of doing the whole head or go semi like previously suggested.
Remember, if you want length, you gotta have health!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm going to be using permanent dye

Also, how do I know if my hair has too much protein?

I use permanent coloring mainly because I have a lot of gray hair. If you choose to go this route, be sure to keep in mind that you will need to baby your hair afterwards. DEFINITELY keep up with a protein and moisture balance program and DC regularly.

Softerlove

Do Not Dye Your hair.

I dyed mine at NL and babied it to APL, then had to get a trim because of my dry ends (which the color made hard to keep moisturized). Its like I have to work overtime to keep my hair moisterized.

My APL looks like CBL when slightly rollerset, you can see the color/damage even after the pre poo and DC. I colored Oct 2010 root to tip highlight, I was NL.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1310137004798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1310137004798.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 33