SHS stylist are not your friends

Lucia

This always comes up, too often the sad story, and I feel for everyone this had been perpetrated on, that's why I'm writing this. Someone on the boards who's been attacked by a SHS. You like me, and many others, probably have fallen for the I'm just going to even up your ends", You're ends are raggedy" and my all time fav "You NEED a trim" some stylist dropped that gem on me when I had just had a trim a week before with someone I trusted who only took off what I asked, so this stylist was lying, she even had the gaul to walk up behind me with scissors to start cutting WITHOUT ASKING ME FIRST IF I even wanted a trim and then to say my ends were alright when I told her I just got a trim, so she hadn't really looked at my ends right, she just wanted to cut off my hair out of jealousy, and my hair was much shorter than now. So I never stepped foot in that salon again, if they only new they're a actually driving us away.

Here's what stylists do: SHS always cut up to the shortest or where the majority/bulk of your hair is and if your growing it out your hair WILL NOT GROW EVEN. You will have a bulk of hair at a shorter length than your longest parts, they will cut the longest parts to match the shorter parts so goodbye length. So they cut and cut and cut until it's even that's they're goal even hair all the time meanwhile your progress is on the floor. They're goal is to make, no force you into becoming they're client b/c short hair needs more styling than longer hair. I recommend all of you check out Chicoro's method on fotki, on not cutting her hair all the time, it's helped me get to WSL.

OK so how do we avoid this? Here's some tips and ideas.

You can sue any salon/stylist provided you can prove that they acted against your wishes, without your permission, practiced neglect, or damaged your hair on purpose or by accident. they are licensed professionals they CAN be held responsible. Make sure you go to one that actually has a real active license and make sure you have updated before pics always at the ready. Check your local civil suit laws about this first.

Remember that nobody's hair can grow evenly, and all stylists want even hair-accept that first. Then decide what you want, style or health, you can get style after you have healthy hair too, but style without health only lasts a little while. You will be scrambling to get /keep your hair at a minimum of health so you CAN style it.
Those of you who have come back from damaged hair, know exactly what I mean. Once you decide everything else will be much easier.

You're hair will eventually even itself up, mine did and countless other ladies have done this too and I took their advice and I'm passing on their knowledge.

You can do self trims or S&D (search and destroy the split ends only) this method works great, I've done this for years, I haven't let a stylist cut my hair since my last set-back, which pretty much cost me a whole year of growth.

If you colour, perm/relax you can also learn how to do you're chemical processes at home, some of the longest heads of hair I've seen on this board and fotki, do their hair at home, themselves, even the cuts and trims. There are posts links to self cutting/trims.
Or if you choose to go to a stylist make it very, aggressively clear to them that you ONLY want the relaxer/perm or colour and that's it. They will try to bend your ear and say some of those classic lines I stated above like a pimp says to his Ho's to get them to do what he wants. Don't let them psych you out, you can stick to what you want don't let them "convince"you otherwise.

AVOID the big name salons, salons where everyone has short hair, obviously, and most important if the stylists and or clients have jacked-up hair, or wearing tons of weave, she knows nothing about haircare, she can style and weave, but that's it. And if what you want is hair health she's/he's NOT THE ONE.

Don't ever bring a picture of a style and then say you want a longer version of this cut. You'll get the cut exactly as it is in the pic, length and all, and you'll have no ground to stand on to complain/sue cause they'll say I just gave her what she wanted-and they'll be right.

DON'T LET THEM TURN YOUR BACK TO THE MIRROR
You have no way of viewing what they are doing to your hair, keep a side view at all times, that's best. If you're turned facing the mirror you still can't really see what's going on in back, ask them to pause and turn around or get your butt up and look. Always keep an eye on them at all times, even if they have shown you the length you showed them, if they're being honest there should be no reason for you not to be able to look anytime you want.

DON'T GET A WET HAIR CUT
they will cut much more hair than you think b/c wet hair naturally stretches, always get a dry cut especially on curly hair.

Most dangerous words ever spoken to a stylist: Do whatever you think is best or whatever you like, etc.. anything that gives them free reign on your hair. That means you have no say, no rights, no input and whatever they give you, you deserve cause you're basically asking for it. On top of that you can't complain or sue either cause you said those magic words.

I recommend going to one of those cheap salons like Supercuts, HairCuttery or something like them and request exactly what you want. The reason I choose a cheap salon is because they are not trying to be some famous stylist at you and your hairs expense, they just want to make their money and that's it, they don't want to piss you off, and they usually cut alot of kids hair, so they listen to exactly what mom or dad says, they do what YOU want, and don't go off the rez with any craziness, that's why they will listen to you but you still have to BE CLEAR AND FIRM.

Here's the trick to it. What you're idea of 2 inches is, IS NOT their idea of 2 inches. So before any scissors come out, talk to them, and SHOW them on your body 2x where you want your hair to be. Be very firm, and have them show you the same spot/length on your hair/body 2x at least. Remember NO cutting until YOU are satisfied they agree and understand that you want X length that you SHOWED them on your body. I sound overly aggressive but I'm not this is how to get what you want from them and walk out with all of your hair.

Of course if you get the bad vibe from the moment you walk in, EVEN IF YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT, if you get the eyes rolling, or the mmm...mmm or you get an echo that's not a weave? along with attitude from them, LEAVE.
If you can feel the jealousy walk out. If you feel little eyes boring into the back of your head, stylists eating greasy fried chicken and gossiping on the phone while 1 perm is on the brink of burning some kids scalp, and another's been under the dryer so long her hair's turning to straw, and some little old lady has been in curlers since 10 AM and it's 1 PM, walk right back out, no run the h*ll out of there FAST. They are unprofessional, ghetto, trailer trash. You owe them nothing, look out for YOU,no explanation, no reasons, you don't have to justify yourself at all, JUST LEAVE...FAST!

Extra FYI: I knew a girl who had gorgeous jet-black type 3 super-duper-long hair it reached classic curly, she never cut it or straightened it her whole life, and she went and got it straightened it reached her lower-thigh almost knee and that's with a trim. Fast-forward 2 years later and her hair's blond, straight and 1-2 inches long all around like a guy's cut, edges and everything, WTF happened? SHS's got to her, she became a "client" of a certain SHS and I watched her hair get chopped down monthly like every month she "needed" a major cut and she couldn't figure out why HER hair wouldn't grow anymore...mmmm. Unfortunately for me I went to the same SHS stylist.

eta: SHS=scissor happy stylist
link to Feye's self trimming method, best do this on straightened hair

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

Last edited:

Christelyn

Thanks for the advice and reminders. I freed myself of stylists and now get my trims at Super Cuts. I do believe you are right about some stylists not wanting clients to have long hair so they HAVE to keep coming in, much like an addict's relationship to his/her dealer. DIY was the best thing I did for my hair. Even though I've had some setbacks trying the navigate through what works for me, it's all worth it in the end because what I've learned has value.

Bnster

I am dreading going to my hairdresser. The fights I have with him to not to cut more than necessary. You are right they are trying to even up, so more comes off.

I have tried to do S&D but with SL hair I can only do the front by myself and really don't trust anyone in my family to do it.

At what length did you start doing S&D?

Thanks for the advice, I take it whole heartedly!

MarieB

I thought it meant Short-haired Stylists, but the other suggestions are just as valid and appropriate. OP, thanks for this thread because you are on point. I have avoided salons like the plague (and so-called "friends" who just want to even me up). I'd rather have uneven ends because of something I did, than lose all my progress, and pay for the privilege.

grnidmonster

Dont think you great stylist who you have gone to and trusted for years cant get jealous mid relationship and become a SHS. I have been going to the same women off and on for 20 years. Shes a bit flakey so occasionally she drops out of circulation and I have had to go elsewhere and they have screwed my hair up. I thought she was trustworthy. Right before Christmas I went to see her for the first time in about six months for a trim and I swear she did exactly what Lucia described, turned my back to the mirror, told me I was in need of a trim and began cutting to the shortest piece, all the way around. Luckily I caught her before she did my whole head but, I swear that women gave me a "mullet". Not a good look. She is so fired! Forever!

Lucia

I posted this from my blog, and yes it's scissor happy stylist, but the other version works too :lol:

Polyesterdiva

Thanks for this!!

I'm dreading my next hair appointment because everything goes well until that dreaded "trim time," and it's always (like you said) "oh LOOK at these end!" "you NEED to have these taken off or your hair wont grow," "I'll just take a little off like last time. I keep trimming and that's why your hair is growing now."

NO! My hair is growing now because I started only seeing you every 6 months!!!

But I'mma practice my Big Girl voice and tell her firmly "No, I don't want a trim this time. I bought a pair of sheers. I'm going to trim my hair myself when I get home."

I WILL be triumphant this time (because I have been resolute in the past, and failed). But this time I have more than fear, I have a game plan! Go in with a game plan! Know how you are gonna say NO and visualize it! If they insist, YOU insist. It's your hair and your money!

:)

Lucia

Thanks for this!!

I'm dreading my next hair appointment because everything goes well until that dreaded "trim time," and it's always (like you said) "oh LOOK at these end!" "you NEED to have these taken off or your hair wont grow," "I'll just take a little off like last time. I keep trimming and that's why your hair is growing now."

NO! My hair is growing now because I started only seeing you every 6 months!!!

But I'mma practice my Big Girl voice and tell her firmly "No, I don't want a trim this time I bought a pair of sheers. I'm going to trim my hair myself when I get home."

I WILL be triumphant this time (because I have been resolute in the past, and failed). But this time I have more than fear, I have a game plan! Go in with a game plan! Know how you are gonna say NO and visualize it! If they insist, YOU insist. It's your hair and your money!

:)

Tell your stylist from the beginning of the appt that you DON'T want a trim, tell her the bolded part, don't mention the rest. SHe'll have some excuse that you can't do it right yada, yada...
Or if she insists that you need a trim after you've said no @ the beginning of the appt then just say you just had a trim 2 weeks ago somewhere else and your ends are fine and you don't need one. Yeah you're lying but she doesn't need to know that and it will give you a back tory for saying NO the 2nd time, cause they will test you. You're ends look fine to me, your hair is just a little uneven but that's b/c it's growing out.
Keep an eye on her, like I said before, and know where those scissors are. You could also hide her scissors. ITA if you're firm and she thinks you're crazy enough to cut her over some hair, she won't test you.

Lucky's Mom

This is another reason I DO NOT go to these people... Just did my own Trim... But thatnks for the info/website..............

Nayeli

Thanks for the info OP - I thank the heavens that I have a stylist who trims me only when I asked to be trimmed.

PatTodd

Oh, if I could only thank you right now! I'm STILL a year behind my goals due to a SHS this time last year!!!! Never again!

SelahOco

You know, I keep cutting my hair "even" because I'm thinking it will never even itself out. But I loose so much progress this way.

The middle of my nape is much weaker than the rest of my hair. I try to baby it, but maybe it just grows slower. I certainly have this "cut it even" mentality from my salon days though.

PrettyBrownBrown

Your entire post had me laughing so hard!! Every word of it was true. You seem to be very passionate about the subject. I will definitely be taking your advice about getting trims at places like Hair Cuttery. That makes sense that they don't want you to be PO'd. They want you to come back. All SHS mess up their own business when they don't listen to their clients. Repeat business is how they make money. If you don't do what I say, I'm never coming back. That's a source of income they have lost. If they make everyone mad, all their clients will abandon them. In these challenging economic times, when going to a salon is a luxury, I would do EXACTLY what my clients asked me to do if i were a hair stylist. BTW, when I first read your post, I thought that SHS meant 'shady hair stylists'. LOL

BostonMaria

Great advice!!!!

This is the reason why I do my own S&D's and self-trimming. I also use Feye's tutorial for self-trimming. I went to the salon 3x last year and it was not pleasant. If I go this year at all I'll take your advice into consideration.

soulfusion

Great post. I've been to many (too many) stylists over the years and I'm going to the FIRST ONE EVER who knows what a trim means. As a result, I've been going to her longer than I've ever gone to any one stylist in my adult life.

Some of these hair stylists need to wake up. More and more people are bucking some of the conventional ideas about hair care. People aren't going to keep giving up their money to somebody who won't take their wants/needs into consideration.

LushLox

Dont think you great stylist who you have gone to and trusted for years cant get jealous mid relationship and become a SHS. I have been going to the same women off and on for 20 years. Shes a bit flakey so occasionally she drops out of circulation and I have had to go elsewhere and they have screwed my hair up. I thought she was trustworthy. Right before Christmas I went to see her for the first time in about six months for a trim and I swear she did exactly what Lucia described, turned my back to the mirror, told me I was in need of a trim and began cutting to the shortest piece, all the way around. Luckily I caught her before she did my whole head but, I swear that women gave me a "mullet". Not a good look. She is so fired! Forever!

So so true - I've seen it myself, I've had friends on the phone crying to me about their stylists (who they even regard as friends) who have choppoed off their long hair! :nono:

I've been going to my stylist for about 15 years but it's only in the last two years that she's seen me retain growth. Funny thing is, it's only in the last two years that she has asked (consistently) if I want a trim. :perplexed I'm going to see her next in June for my touch up, and with any luck I'll be nearer to APL at that point. It'll be interesting to see how persistent she is to trim my hair. Regardless she will not be cutting it!

phynestone

OP, I totally feel you. I should be around bsl or mid-back length right now, but nooooooooo, I'm just apl due to the hands of a few SHS!