*sigh* going to press my hair...need help please!!!!

InsertCleverNameHere

Here is the deal...A few months ago I had a bad color job and a patch of my hair fell out...since then, I have used no heat and been extremely gentle with my hair. Next weekend, however, I'm going to press my hair out. And now I'm scared my hair is going to fall in a crisp in my fingers!!!!...Now, I know in the back of my head it won't actually do this *hopefully*, but I'm scared anyway. What are some extra measures I can take with my hair in the next week to ensure that my hair will be as strong and healthy as possible????

Nanyanika

use a reconstructor followed by a moisturising conditioner
Don't use hot comb use a electric ceramic iron
Use a good heat protector
check for elasticity in the strands

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, the perfect recipe! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tippy75

I know that you asked what you could do in order to prepare your hair so this wasn't exactly the type of information that you were looking for , but I found this quite interesting and thought it would help. I spoke to Lisa Akbari yesterday and according to her the proper way to press hair with minimal damage is to use a cream or moisturizer. She said that when a person uses oil the hot comb of course heats it up making one more suspectible of getting heat damage or overprocessing (permanently straightened ends). But when a cream or moisturizer is used it keeps the hair cool and also results in a silky looking press.

InsertCleverNameHere

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a ceramic iron...I usually use my flat iron that goes in the stove...It usually does just fine but um, I don't know if my hair is more damaged than usual...do you all think this will be okay...because I can prolly get a few hair products, but getting a flat iron too could be getting a little pricey.

InsertCleverNameHere

[ QUOTE ]
I know that you asked what you could do in order to prepare your hair so this wasn't exactly the type of information that you were looking for , but I found this quite interesting and thought it would help. I spoke to Lisa Akbari yesterday and according to her the proper way to press hair with minimal damage is to use a cream or moisturizer. She said that when a person uses oil the hot comb of course heats it up making one more suspectible of getting heat damage or overprocessing (permanently straightened ends). But when a cream or moisturizer is used it keeps the hair cool and also results in a silky looking press.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did she recommend a cream to use? I usually press my hair dry and then put kemi oyl in afterwards...

ms_kenesha

I'd second the dry press. I don't believe what Lisa said about a cream, the cream will heat up when you press it, the same way an oil will. Plus with a dry press your hair will have more body and swingability (not a word). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did she recommend a cream to use? I usually press my hair dry and then put kemi oyl in afterwards...

[/ QUOTE ]

InsertCleverNameHere

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I would think that the flat iron that you use on the stove will be okay if you use the paper towel method.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the paper towel method??? Is it where you see if it burns the paper towel? I usually check to see if it's too hot. Those marcel stoves get super super hot!

GodMadeMePretty

Yeah, you put the iron in the paper towel to make sure it's not too hot. If it burns the paper, it's too hot. I've seen it burn. It doesn't take long to burn if it's too hot.

blkbeauty

Hey Real/images/graemlins/wave.gif,

Please let me know how the pressing works for you. I had recently wrote a post to see if you can do a Dominican Blowout with 4a hair. I wanted to wear my hair straight for my birthday in two weeks and I am trying to decide whether or not I want my hair press.