Silk Amino Acids...how are you using it and how is it working?

AKA-Tude

soulfusion said:
I.Am.In.Awe. You ladies nailed this one.

I'm 10 weeks post-relaxer and normally all I can do with my hair at this point is braid out/bun/braid out/bun (get it?). However, I just washed and I added some silk amino acids from lotioncrafters to my lacio lacio and to my NTM. My tangles seemed to just MELT! I'm now sitting under the dryer with a rollerset, something that I NEVER do at 10 weeks post.

I'm in :love:!

Glad it worked for you!!!

tnorenberg

soulfusion said:
I.Am.In.Awe. You ladies nailed this one.

I'm 10 weeks post-relaxer and normally all I can do with my hair at this point is braid out/bun/braid out/bun (get it?). However, I just washed and I added some silk amino acids from lotioncrafters to my lacio lacio and to my NTM. My tangles seemed to just MELT! I'm now sitting under the dryer with a rollerset, something that I NEVER do at 10 weeks post.

I'm in :love:!

How much did you add to each?

soulfusion

tnorenberg said:
How much did you add to each?

I didn't really measure. I'd guess the product bottles were about half full and I maybe added 3-4 tablespoons to each (????). Not enough that it made the products watery or anything. They're about the same consistency as before.

sareca

I know the thread is about SAA but I had to tell ya'll about oat and wheat protein. It's said that it restores elasticity, but I didn't think too much about it. I added it to a few things and put some in my red palm concoction and that was it. The last time I took my braids out I had the rollerset from hell. It looked great, but no matter what I did I couldn't get the curls to drop. I even stood in the room with my DH for a few minutes while he was in the shower. It got a little puffy, but dem curls didn't move. I was like :huh: This is weird, my hair never used to hold a curl especially not in Texas with all this humidity. Well it dawned on me this morning... maybe my hair's elasticity has something to do with how well it holds a curl. Long story short (I know, too late right?) ... don't sleep on the other forms of light protein.

Last edited:

Brownie518

sareca said:
I know the thread is about SAA but I had to tell ya'll about oat and wheat protein. It's said that it restores elasticity, but I didn't think too much about it. I added it to a few things and put some in my red palm concoction and that was it. The last time I took my braids out I had the rollerset from hell. It looked great, but no matter what I did I couldn't get the curls to drop. I even stood in the room with my DH for a few minutes while he was in the shower. It got a little puffy, but dem curls didn't move. I was like :huh: This is weird, my hair never used to hold a curl especially not in Texas with all this humidity. Well it dawned on me this morning... maybe my hair's elasticity has something to do with how well it holds a curl. Long story short (I know, too late right?) ... don't sleep on the other forms of light protein.

Thanks, Sareca. I guess I'll have to add oat and wheat to my wish list. I'll try to wait until the end of the month. Yeah, right.

sareca

Brownie518 said:
Thanks, Sareca. I guess I'll have to add oat and wheat to my wish list. I'll try to wait until the end of the month. Yeah, right.
tee-hee, been there. :look:

HoneyDew

sareca said:

Using these proteins in different conditioners has helped me avoid the scary hardening and drying protein treatment.

I do it as a pre-poo and it has also helped me use up conditioners that I have laying around here that I don't really like to use for finishing conditioners.

sareca

HoneyDew said:
Using these proteins in different conditioners has helped me avoid the scary hardening and drying protein treatment.

I do it as a pre-poo and it has also helped me use up conditioners that I have laying around here that I don't really like to use for finishing conditioners.

You know what? I hadn't tried it as a pre-poo. I was thinking about making a leave-in spray. Something with all three, a little oil, and a lot of water.

HoneyDew

sareca said:
You know what? I hadn't tried it as a pre-poo. I was thinking about making a leave-in spray. Something with all three, a little oil, and a lot of water.

That is a good idea!! Kinda like that Aphogee Keratin leave-in Spray.

Dang, that is really a good idea!!!

sareca

HoneyDew said:
That is a good idea!! Kinda like that Aphogee Keratin leave-in Spray.

Dang, that is really a good idea!!!

I think I like the pre-poo idea better. Off to whip somethin' up...

Last edited:

HoneyDew

sareca said:
Sorry brownie, I didn't see this one...I do about 1 capful for every 16oz.

:sekret: I use WAY more. I pour a lot in.

But, my hair NEEDS protein. Some that try to limit the use of ti may not want to use as much as I use.

I have a 10 oz tub that I whip mine up in. I fill it with conditioner and stir that up alone to make it lighter (in search of a better word). then I put about 3 oz of protein in there - Half animal or marine collagen and half wheat or soy protein. (I am a PJ - I have all 4 :lol: )

Consistently, my hair is VERY elastic and I can take a wet shedded strand and STREEETCHH it out nicely.

Interestingly, I notice that my hair does not dry out like when I use Aphogee (the hardcore one) and similar products. I don't even have to do a moisturizing deep condition if I don't have time. I still use a moisturizing deep conditioner, but not always under the dryer.

sareca

HoneyDew said:
:sekret: I use WAY more. I pour a lot in.

But, my hair NEEDS protein. Some that try to limit the use of ti may not want to use as much as I use.

I have a 10 oz tub that I whip mine up in. I fill it with conditioner and stir that up alone to make it lighter (in search of a better word). then I put about 3 oz of protein in there - Half animal or marine collagen and half wheat or soy protein. (I am a PJ - I have all 4 :lol: )

Consistently, my hair is VERY elastic and I can take a wet shedded strand and STREEETCHH it out nicely.

Interestingly, I notice that my hair does not dry out like when I use Aphogee (the hardcore one) and similar products. I don't even have to do a moisturizing deep condition if I don't have time. I still use a moisturizing deep conditioner, but not always under the dryer.

Whoa that is a lot! I'll try that in my pre-poo. Do you find your hair resists humidity and holds curls better?

I rarely do hardcore protein anymore and when I do it's out of habit. My hair just doesn't need it.

ETA: I'm interested in trying the collagen. It would probably work well in my cocoa butter and healing concoctions.

Last edited:

sareca

Oooo, I just read the description. I gotta have this for my facial toner!

For use in shampoos, conditioners, hair treatments, leave-ins, styling products, bodywashes, body lotions, body treatments, cleansers, toners, facial moisturizers, face treatments, makeup foundation, mascara, lipsticks, color cosmetics.

And it's something else I can add to my mascara!

HoneyDew

sareca said:
Whoa that is a lot! I'll try that in my pre-poo. Do you find your hair resists humidity and holds curls better?

I rarely do hardcore protein anymore and when I do it's out of habit. My hair just doesn't need it.

ETA: I'm interested in trying the collagen. It would probably work well in my cocoa butter and healing concoctions.

Yes. Something I am doing is making me over-moisturize. It started after I started using Fermodyl 619 AND Sidr Tree Butter Balm on my wet hair at the same time as leave-ins.

I love the moisture level in my hair, but after weeks of that I can tell that my hair is too soft and mushy. I could stop the Fermodyl, but I don't want to. Soooo, the only other option is to increase the protein (or do more henna treatment), which I used to only do once every other month or so.

When I have to much moisture, my curls fall like crazy. Even a little bit of humidity makes my style fall quickly. But when I do a protein treatment, I notice that my hair curls better and my styles last longer.

I wish that I could find a leave in that gives me the same moisture level as the products I am using now without going overboard (may I am just heavy handed. :lol: )

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Hi Sareca! :wave:

First off, I just wanted to say that your hair is absolutely gorgeous! It looks fantastic, shiny, thick and healthy.

I also wanted to thank you very much for the SAA thread. Yes, my lashes are finally brushing up against my sunglasses! :lol:

Anyway, I wanted to know where you purchased your oat and wheat protein. Will you let me know when you get a chance? Are these expensive? What kind of protein are they? Do they make your hair soft or hard? I'm beginning to believe that I can't use harsh proteins.

Sadly I had to sell my Mega-Tek and Advocado Mist, both of which made my hair hard as a rock and mat together. :(

Thanks so much in advance, and take care.

You are working well towards your goal of APL!!! Congrats! :kiss:

SP

P.S. I attempted to send this to you via PM but your mailbox is full. You have to clean it out... ;)

sareca

Serenity_Peace said:
Hi Sareca! :wave:

First off, I just wanted to say that your hair is absolutely gorgeous! It looks fantastic, shiny, thick and healthy.

Serenity_Peace said:
I also wanted to thank you very much for the SAA thread. Yes, my lashes are finally brushing up against my sunglasses! :lol:
:yay: I love that part. Now my lashes are starting to look long even without mascara. :eek: I'm glad it worked for you, but you gotta thank Cayenne for the thread. She started it. :yep:

Serenity_Peace said:
Anyway, I wanted to know where you purchased your oat and wheat protein. Will you let me know when you get a chance? Are these expensive? What kind of protein are they? Do they make your hair soft or hard? I'm beginning to believe that I can't use harsh proteins.
Wheat and oat are definitely soft light proteins. My hair tolerates hard proteins, but it loves the light ones. They should not make your hair hard. Start with 1-2%.

Wheat protein 1oz for $6.00; Oat protein 1oz for $6.00 ; Hair that stretches like a rubberband... priceless. tee-hee

I think this is the one HoneyDew buys from here. It's 2oz for the same price as my 1oz :mad:

Here's the description for wheat protein, but oat protein's description is pretty much the same, except it also has the ability to lock in 50% more moisture.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein repairs damaged hair through covalent bonding. For hair care systems, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein builds body, reduces porosity, and improves shine, luster and smoothness. It is also gold to brown in color and has a strong odor, and has many applications in skin care systems.--http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product_p/hywhp.htm

Serenity_Peace said:
Sadly I had to sell my Mega-Tek and Advocado Mist, both of which made my hair hard as a rock and mat together. :(
:eek: Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. My hair loves that stuff. As a matter of fact that's the only leave-in I use now.

Serenity_Peace said:
Thanks so much in advance, and take care.
You are working well towards your goal of APL!!! Congrats! :kiss:
SP
P.S. I attempted to send this to you via PM but your mailbox is full. You have to clean it out... ;)

Thanks, will do.

AKA-Tude

sareca said:

OOOoo, I'm doing this now!

I had the wheat sitting around so I added it to my SAA spray.

It reduced my shedding quite a bit.

Maybe if I add the oat it'll stop it all together!!

***where's my credit card?!?!?!***

Anyway,

@Sareca-

Your hair is BLINGIN', Gurrl!

The shine is FAB-OO-LUS!!!

Is this due to the Eqyss stuff?

Oh, & I STILL can't get into your Fotki thingy!!!

Last edited:

newflowers

Sareca,

Did you ever get the silk peptides from FNWL? How are you using it?

My youngest is going to Argentina and I want to make her a leave in spray for her hair or a concoction to add to her conditioner.

I have the silk peptides, cottonseed protein, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein,marine collagen, and the panthenol. A little overboard, but I figured I could experiment on myself and my girls. I also have hibiscus extract and orchid complex.

She has 3b and has recovered from hairspray and heat because i threw away all of the bad stuff.

Anyway - suggestions for blends would be greatly appreciated.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Bravo to Cayenne for starting this thread! :kis::kiss::kiss:

Thank you so much to Sareca for her wealth of knowledge on various issues re: moisturizers and tips for using SAA. ;)

Good luck to all of you ladies who are working on health and overall health goals. :dance7:

sareca

newflowers said:
Sareca,

Did you ever get the silk peptides from FNWL? How are you using it?

My youngest is going to Argentina and I want to make her a leave in spray for her hair or a concoction to add to her conditioner.

I have the silk peptides, cottonseed protein, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein,marine collagen, and the panthenol. A little overboard, but I figured I could experiment on myself and my girls. I also have hibiscus extract and orchid complex.

She has 3b and has recovered from hairspray and heat because i threw away all of the bad stuff.

Anyway - suggestions for blends would be greatly appreciated.
I've been to Buenos Aires. It's a beautiful city. If your daughter doesn't speak spanish tell her to be careful what she orders in restaurants. We got a plate of warm animal intestines stuffed w/ liver (we think). :eek: :lachen:

I use the silk peptides in my bath mix. I tried it in one of my hair concoctions and it was too grainy. I probably just added too much.

Your protein mix sounds good but I wouldn't use it straight. I'd use it as a protein concentrate and mix some with a regular conditioner. I'm talking a tablespoon of conditioner and a few drops of your protein mix and a little water.

You can either make something that is intended for leave-in application or rinse off application. How much protein you add determines its application. I prefer leave-in applications which have a very low amount of protein. Honeydew a lot of protein in her mixes. I'm still using around 2% or less. You gonna have to experiment with that one.

Last edited:

sareca

They're a little longer, but much thicker. We know how that goes...

ETA: this is month number 3.

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
gorgeoushair said:
Serenity

How long did it take for your eyelashes to start growing? Did you apply once a day?

I think I started noticing after a month or so. Try it. You'll love it, but your glasses will get in the way! ;)

[Thanks so much, Sareca!:kiss:]