Silk Elements LYE 4a/4b users

BronzyBella

I used regular strength lye to relax my hair the other day. It came out pretty good (straight and very soft). I have coarse 4a/b hair.

skoloco

I'm mostly 4b and I use regular. I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and will use it again. I am a little underprocessed in the back, but all in all, I think I did a pretty good job. I think the underprocessed part was due to not using enough of the relaxer cream there. As I worked forward, I got better at it so the front is perfect--not bone straight, but straight nonetheless.

I used Affirm (at the salon) before this and my hair was waaaay too straight--hair plastered to my head. So SE is a great change.

God's Anointed

I used mild and added oil to it because i have very sensitive scalp (I mean a kiddie relaxer burns my scalp unless i add oil to it) but my hair is very coarse. It straightened my hair the way i like it (about 85% because i hate bone straight look. It looks lifeless like that) but after like a month, i noticed i have either a lot of new growth or my hair was underprocessed. But i think it's new growth cause i took biotin consistently for like 3 weeks. Like i said, i used the mild out of necessity, otherwise i might've used the regular cause my hair is very coarse.

tenderheaded

I use SE regular and we are still in love:D I used in Sunday after a 14 wk stretch and it still handles my business!! I bought the 3lb tub this summer so I'm good for a while.

Thanks for the tip! I used the regular for my last touch up. I've very thick and coarse, too. It did pretty good so I will definitely use it again. I was in Sally's the other day and saw the ORS Mayonaise on sale but didn't pay attention to the relaxer. I should go stock up!

Lisa

I'm a 4a/4b with fine hair and I used the regular SE Lye for the first time on Sat and I'm wondering WHY???

My scalp is tender even now!! The back started to burn before the front was finished. I don't have any scabs but it it very tender. I'm not sure if I will stick with this relaxer...time will tell.

I not sure the SE lye did any better than my Gentle Treatment non-lye Relaxer (but at least my Gentle Treatment does not burn).

On the positive side I don't think my hair is as dry..(the jury is still out!!)

envybeauty

Lisa said:
I'm a 4a/4b with fine hair and I used the regular SE Lye for the first time on Sat and I'm wondering WHY???

My scalp is tender even now!! The back started to burn before the front was finished. I don't have any scabs but it it very tender. I'm not sure if I will stick with this relaxer...time will tell.

I not sure the SE lye did any better than my Gentle Treatment non-lye Relaxer (but at least my Gentle Treatment does not burn).

On the positive side I don't think my hair is as dry..(the jury is still out!!)

I used to use Gentle Treatment!! It was my very first perm. I loved it. I was in denial for years that it was drying my hair out as it was a no lye perm. I wouldn't burn with GT but my ends would be a bushy mess after say 6 weeks. I used to self relax with no lye perms, but I have learned to have a stylist apply lye perms to my hair. Because they burn faster, I need to have someone who can apply the perm to my whole head faster than I can. Maybe that would help. My stylist also mixes in oil to the perm before applying it to my hair.

envybeauty

Thanks for all the posts!!

I decided to buy mild b/c I am perming my hair earlier than I would like to (no significant stretching). If it smoothes just was well as regular, then I will stick with it.