Silk Protein

inthepink

What does everyone think about Silk Protein? Is it essential to our regimen? On the Frizzoff.com website, it says

"Silk Amino Acids

Natural silk is the strongest, natural fibre known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy."

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Man that describes my beloved Salerm 21 leave in. It does all that...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking the same thing...that's one of the reasons I love using the Salerm 21, knowing that my hair is getting its silk protein and that it remains in my hair even after my next wash!

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I love Salerm 21 so much.

inthepink

Does anyone know of other conditioners that contain silk protein - for those of us on a budget??

The only one I've been able to find is Suave Vanilla and Silk Protein.

nmfsc

Has it been determined whether or not propylene glycol is good or bad for the hair? As it is Salerm's second main ingredient, it makes me a little concerned.

so1913

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I have too much stuff!!! LOL. I can't find mine!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hairlove,

I have noticed that products with Silk protein do leave my hair with added strength, yet it's usually pretty soft too.
I remember the first time I really noticed this was when I used KIE and then I began to think of a silk fiber being similar to a hair fiber and thus the strengthening result that comes from silk protein. (like hair protein [keratin] provides strength)

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
Hairlove...

Also, try QP Breakage Control Serum. It contains silk proteins as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this one contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. Not silk protein.

I also love silk protein. My beloved Salerm has it AND so does the Kenra CMC....

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
nmfsc said:
Has it been determined whether or not propylene glycol is good or bad for the hair? As it is Salerm's second main ingredient, it makes me a little concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't seem to find a product without this so I give up. I've read that it is bad for hair but way too many products have it. I guess it's impossible to avoid everything.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
Hairlove...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find most Motions or Elasta QP products in my area, unfortunately.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my.
Girl, start pulling and hauling through that stuff. Hopefully, you'll find it soon.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
Hairlove...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this one contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. Not silk protein.

I also love silk protein. My beloved Salerm has it AND so does the Kenra CMC....

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy - I did read that Kenra - the one for color treated hair - has Silk Protein. But I already bought my two liters for the year.
I'll have to buy one of each next time!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Hairlove,

I have noticed that products with Silk protein do leave my hair with added strength, yet it's usually pretty soft too.
I remember the first time I really noticed this was when I used KIE and then I began to think of a silk fiber being similar to a hair fiber and thus the strengthening result that comes from silk protein. (like hair protein [keratin] provides strength)

[/ QUOTE ]

Supergirl - this is good to know. What is KIE?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
KIE is Kenra Intensive Emollient.

Hairlove, you mean to tell me that 2 Liters of Kenra last you for the entire year? No way--that can't be right!

inthepink

Supergirl - I make them last. I only use Kenra on my hair once a week. I use my St. Ives conditioner throughout the week for my co washes.

nmfsc

Hairlove, thank you for addressing my question. Very much appreciated. You are right, PG is in just about everything. I guess my concern is the order in which it is listed in the Salerm.

so1913

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my.
Girl, start pulling and hauling through that stuff. Hopefully, you'll find it soon.

[/ QUOTE ]
GOT IT! Ha Ha!!!