Silky 4a/4b Natural Hair

smartblackgirl

Is there anyway to make 4a/4b natural hair feel and look silky? Is there a way to have silky curls on 4a/4b hair? I am thinking of growing out my natural hair but I don't want it to look dry and puffy. I know that going natural would be the best thing for my hair but I am still a little hesitant.

Casarela

well I once tried unrefined shea butter it made my hair SHINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and my hair was pull back nicely my hair was sleeked to the maximum it was fly ! I definetly need to get a pound of unrefined shea butter . You might want to try unrefineed shea butter.

missykeyana

Moisture, moisture, moisture! That is the best way to emphasize the natural shine and silkiness of your natural hair. I use BB Oil Moisturizer or ORS Olive Oil Cream and my hair is nice and sheeny in a fro and shiny when pulled back.

I have seen that some naturals have less natural shine/sheen than others though. Also, while many naturals have curls, many don't. If you don't have curls naturally, there's no way you can get them with "curl definition" products. However, you could always do a braidout, twistout, bantu knot-out or otherwise wet set your hair to get curls.

HTH!

BronzeBrown

I don't think it's possible for type 4 hair to have shine although a healthy, subtle sheen is possible. I think "silkiness" is something you find more with looser textures that're able to better reflect light because of their looseness. You can get your hair to look and feel cottony soft (which is wonderful, by the way), but I wouldn't advise you to use "silkiness" as a standard for your natural hair because it'll probably lead you to be disappointed. Good luck

Ipanema

I agree with BronzeBrown. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Some type 4 hair looks dry no matter what because of the way it reflects light. And it might look dry until you find the right combinations of products. Also, puffiness is a natural characteristic of type 4 hair, so trying to fight that would be a constant battle.

There are products, though, that may make your hair feel soft & silky. For me, it's Sta Sof Fro in the tube, and Razac leave-in conditioner.

pressncurl

Well, I do know a way . . . but I'm not sure if you'll want to try it (much).

I used to get the silky press, and this basically was accomplished by 1) using a different shampoo from usual (to remove buildup) and then 2) applying TCB hair & scalp conditioner to the hair from roots to ends (a moderate amount, no need to be too heavy) while it was still damp and allowing it to air dry in twists or braids, and 3) pressing hair with a pressing comb using high heat (17-18 with the gold n hot), or use a comb off the stove (that's what my mom always did, and somehow I managed to live through this for ~15 years, with no plugs burnt out).

I haven't worn a silky press in a very long time for three reasons:
1. This is the way I always did my hair and IT WAS STAYING THE SAME LENGTH -- about 2 inches below shoulder length. I figured I needed to make a change if I wanted to grow my hair longer.
2. A silky press requires extreme heat which is not good for the hair.
3. TCB hair and scalp conditioner contains mineral oil and petrolatum as the first two ingredients and I figured out these were the culprits in causing my back to break out. However, I will say that in my pressing experience, which has been my whole life, TCB always gave me the straightest hair and for the longest time before it reverts.

NubianAngel

I don't think that silky curls and natural 4a/b hair belong in the same sentence, IMO. Those are characteristics of other hair types. Healthy 4a/b hair will be soft and have a nice sheen to it, but it is not going to look like 3a/b hair on an extra curly day. Although everyone's hair is different, when you have 4a/b hair, it is not going to naturally do the same things that other hair types or chemically treated hair will do. There is nothing wrong with that...this hair type is unique and just as beautiful as any other.

silvergirl

conditioning washes! leave in conditioners! water water water! airdrying! all help to keep my 4a hair looking shiny and sliky, HOWEVER the very front of my hair in the first 1/2 sqaure inch is 4b an NOTHING nothing will make that thing look shiny. lol im ok with that. the only way i know to get 4b hair to shine is to stretch it ie: flatiron or press. other than it all it will do is puff an sheen.

smartblackgirl

Thanks for all the help. I understand that puffiness is natural for 4a/4b type hair, I just don't like when the hair looks and feels dry as well as puffy. What are some good products to help retain the moisture in my hair?

LionsMane

Oy vey
If your hair isn't naturally silky, nothing's going to get it that way except a relaxer or one of it's misnomers. Otherwise, if SHINE is actually your aim, trying products that are glycerin and/or water based go a long way as far as replenishing and maintaining moisture in nappy hair. Sebastian Potion 9 is a good one to start with. Shea butter is great as well.

ms_kenesha

I am a 4A/B. My hair is not silky, it is not shiny. My hair on a good hair day has a sheen and feels like cotton balls. My hair has only felt silky the first week after a fresh relaxer or a dominican blow out. If you have naturally 4a/b hair and you want "silky" hair you'll prob. have to do one of those things. My main goal for my hair is health, softness, and of course I want some more length.

pookeylou

Use humectant type conditioners to draw moisture to your hair.

HONEY is excellent for this.

The sisters here have told you correctly...natural hair has a sheen. In order for it to appear shiny and silky smooth, you have to alter it.

I had to change my thinking on natural hair. My hair would not look like a "Jehri curl" out of the shower no matter what I conditioned it with. It is the nature of my hair to be coily, frizzy, pouffy. I have actually learned to celebrate why my hair can do.

Nonie

I agree with all these ladies, the curlier hair is, the less it reflects light, so the less shinier it appears. I know simply stretching a few strands of my 4A/B hair makes them appear shiny...especially after an ACV rinse. (So you could also add that to the recommendations given above.)

An ACV rinse closes your hair cuticle so that the strands are somewhat smooth...which is a plus if you want shine. So do one at the end of your wash.

Some naturals do get a nice sheen and smoothness with silicon products (serums) when applied to wet hair, so you could try that too and see if it works for you. Only remember to do it AFTER moisturizing your hair coz serums form a thick almost impenetrable coating on your hair such that unless you wash your hair again, adding moisture may not be possible. (Which might explain why those who have bad experieces with serums complain of their hair being dry, esp if they applied the serum on dry hair to start with).

HTH

Natural_Girl

not sure about silkiness but lately i've been rinsing my hair and then applying evoo and coconut oil which has left my hair quite soft and shiny - not greasy as long as you're not heavy-handed.
when flat ironed, you can achieve silkiness but I wouldn't recommend having your hair flat ironed too frequently as you may experience some heat damage and/or experience some areas that may not revert back to your kinkiness/curliness.

HTH!

Healthb4Length

I have to agree with everyone, my hair does get shiny but only with a little help from my friends; gels, pomade, glazes, and essential oils. I find that when I wash my hair and put a tiny amount of essential oil (castor,jojoba, Aphogee essential fatty acids, or Kemy oyl) in it it gives my mega shine and moisture that really helps me, maybe it can help you. Good luck!