SILKY/SHINEY Hair?!?!

I have dull/dry looking hair and I am really hoping to
increase the shine and have a silkier look

Have any of you ladies been able to accomplish this?

If so, please share your secrets! :yep:

fluffylocks

I think its partly about putting some lubriaction or sealent on top of the hair

I dye my hair darker (black) every 2 months with a semi---but also use Paul Mitchels clear gloss weekly--light shine, softer hair.

Oil treatment weekly/wash day--WGO stinks, but that mess has made my hair really silky for some reason and more shine.

Pressing oil when straightening--smoother/silkier hair.

C

cieramichele

Shea butter is heavier but it adds a lot of shine.

C

cieramichele

So it sounds like I need to figure out how to work coconut oil in...

Maybe as a Hot Oil treatment :yep:

Ways to apply it:

Put it on over night and shampoo out in the morning.
Use as a pre poo.
Use with a steam treatment.
Add a drop your hands and spread evenly through the hair after styling.

I have noticed women from other races (asian white...etc) seem to have a natural shine.

I wonder would flax seed help for an internal natural shine

locabouthair

I have noticed women from other races (asian white...etc) seem to have a natural shine.

many members here recommended it for shine but it will take time to see the result since it only affects the new growth.

your hair looks very healthy.

KAT25

sunsilk THERMAL heat shine spray :grin:

GO TO THE SUNSILK WEBSITE AND CHECK IT OUT!!!

Last edited:

caribgirl

Ways to apply it:
Put it on over night and shampoo out in the morning.
Use as a pre poo.
Use with a steam treatment.
Add a drop your hands and spread evenly through the hair after styling.

ITA! I have been using EVOO since I began my hair journey and I totally believe that it contirbutes to my "shine".

Btw, your hair looks beautiful neighbor!

fluffylocks

The cuticles of hair on other women grow down naturally (smoother hair, shine is able to reflect more, silkier hair)

They have less cuticle layer sometimes(less coarse hair)+ able to shine more, softer

Their hair usually has some sebum/oil on the strands naturally which helps with smoother hair, silker hair, and helps with shine.

We have to keep our hair moisturized, keep the cuticles closed, and keep a layer of oil on the outside for shine/non dryness look

ETA---do you use a no-lye relaxer? That could also be it...

Your hair---the color, and the dullness look to it that you desribe look like Sistaslicks. But year i dont think it needs anything but oil---nice cut.

Last edited:

blasiancurlie

I definitely agree with the coconut oil. Another product I like is Bed Head After Party creme. It makes your hair shiny and smells yummy!

Keen

So it sounds like I need to figure out how to work coconut oil in...

Maybe as a Hot Oil treatment :yep:

I use to put a little bit off coconut oil on my roommate's hair before I flat iron it and it would look sooooo shiny. I stop doing that because it didn't seem wise as good as her hair would look with it.

I think Hot oil treatment with coconut oil sound great. I think I'll try that.

ChocoKitty

-Adding honey to your favorite deep conditioning treatment.
The more moisturized my hair is internally the shinier it looks when it's dry.
-Limiting the amount of products you put on your hair.
With my hair, I can't use too much oil and/etc. It looks good the first day but then it gets dull and attracts dust.

So I personally lean more towards deep conditioning for lasting effects.

MizzBrown

-Coconut oil
-Perfect Results Hair & Body oil
-I still use Carol's Daughter Hair balm on and off
-Most recently, Jamaican Black Castor oil

-I'm a shine freak. If it doesnt produce shine and luster then get it out of my face. No sense in having healthy hair that looks dry. That doesn't sound right.

Lucky's Mom

-Adding honey to your favorite deep conditioning treatment.
The more moisturized my hair is internally the shinier it looks when it's dry.
-Limiting the amount of products you put on your hair.
With my hair, I can't use too much oil and/etc. It looks good the first day but then it gets dull and attracts dust.

So I personally lean more towards deep conditioning for lasting effects.

Agreed. Excellent conditioning will bring a natural Bling to hair!
Below is my hair before I did a pre-poo that day.

Natural shine can come about over time ..imo

la mosca

Chi Silk Infusion. That stuff on wet hair is like hair crack.

Co-signing. Also, I've been taking Omega-3 supplements for about 6 months, and my hair seems to be growing in softer and shiner. Finally, a clear gloss works wonders.

many members here recommended it for shine but it will take time to see the result since it only affects the new growth.

your hair looks very healthy.

I've been taking it, but not religously, it makes me sick sometimes :ohwell:

I think it might be the brand, I have taken another brand (dont remember) that didnt make me sick.

I am working really hard on hair health/thickness....and its working with the help of all the wonderful ladies here!

The cuticles of hair on other women grow down naturally (smoother hair, shine is able to reflect more, silkier hair)

They have less cuticle layer sometimes(less coarse hair)+ able to shine more, softer

Their hair usually has some sebum/oil on the strands naturally which helps with smoother hair, silker hair, and helps with shine.

We have to keep our hair moisturized, keep the cuticles closed, and keep a layer of oil on the outside for shine/non dryness look

ETA---do you use a no-lye relaxer? That could also be it...

Your hair---the color, and the dullness look to it that you desribe look like Sistaslicks. But year i dont think it needs anything but oil---nice cut.

As a matter of fact I am a no-lye user :yep:

I think there is some truth to no lye's making the hair look dull - but I have also read that lye's are harsher :nono:, so I decided to go with no lye and just fight the moisture/dullness thing as best as I can

Thanks for the compliment, I actually recently switched hair dresser's and the new one is doing a great job!

Isis

Flaxseed oil made a big difference for me for my hair and skin. :yep: It and flaxseeds are used in animal feed also to give sheen to their coats.

C

cieramichele

ITA! I have been using EVOO since I began my hair journey and I totally believe that it contirbutes to my "shine".

Btw, your hair looks beautiful neighbor!

thank you very much. ditto.