Since a lot of us are DIY'ers, why don't we hook up and help each other w/ relaxers?

cocoagirl

This is actually my first post, after lurking for some time, I finally joined last week and did my first self relax today. Well, that was a flop..I used Elasta QP Mild (lye), thinking that would be better than the Regular since I have a sensitive scalp..but it came out underprocessed. I am going to work with it though and wait a couple of months (if I can) before I relax again. Anyway as I sit here under the dryer I thought to myself since a lot of us are starting to do our own relaxers, why don't those that have trouble self relaxing hook up with other sistah's in our hometown's and do each other's hair? My biggest problem today was overlapping, relaxer all over the place and not using enough relaxer per section because I couldn't see what I was doing. It seems like it would be easier to have a helping hand from someone on the board since we all know and share all of these little tidbits for hair care...So for those that are having problems relaxing your own hair what do y'all think about hooking up?
ETA- I'm in Brooklyn, NY

Last edited:

yodie

Re: Since a lot of us are DIY'ers, why don't we hook up and help each other w/ relaxe

I'd love this if anyone were in LA/San Fernando Valley.

Re: Since a lot of us are DIY'ers, why don't we hook up and help each other w/ relaxe

That's a good idea...
I self-relaxed about 2 week and it came out GREAT:grin: except for the top part of my head which is underprocessed
Basically I
1. split my hair up in 3 section (1 from ear to ear and 2 on top of my head)
2. parted each section in about 12-16 mini sections and then lightly twisted and coated each section in vaseline.
3. I started with the back section since that would be easier to rinse out in the shower without getting the other sections wet. I moved very fast making sure not to get any relaxer on my scalp or previously relaxed hair. You also have to be very generous with relaxer and use a lot. Then I smoothed and waited from 30 min (you can use a timer but i didn't i just watched the clock like a HAWK :lachen:)
4. Then I went in the shower with shower caps over the sections I did not do and then rinsed the relaxer out. I rinsed making sure ALL of the relaxer was out but before neutralizing I put Motions Silk protein over it for about 5-10 min. I also thinks this helps with the neutralizing process because when I used the neutralizing shampoo there were no pink bubbles!!

The reasons why I think I came out underprocessed in the front sections are because
1. I got lazy and didn't put enough sections
2. I didn't have enough relaxer left

other wise than that it came out GREAT. I'm happier with my results rather than the salon. I think using sections also give you more uniform results

London Diva use to have a tutorial but I think she took it down:sad:

locabouthair

That's a good idea...
I self-relaxed about 2 week and it came out GREAT:grin: except for the top part of my head which is underprocessed
Basically I
1. split my hair up in 3 section (1 from ear to ear and 2 on top of my head)
2. parted each section in about 12-16 mini sections and then lightly twisted and coated each section in vaseline.
3. I started with the back section since that would be easier to rinse out in the shower without getting the other sections wet. I moved very fast making sure not to get any relaxer on my scalp or previously relaxed hair. You also have to be very generous with relaxer and use a lot. Then I smoothed and waited from 30 min (you can use a timer but i didn't i just watched the clock like a HAWK :lachen:)
4. Then I went in the shower with shower caps over the sections I did not do and then rinsed the relaxer out. I rinsed making sure ALL of the relaxer was out but before neutralizing I put Motions Silk protein over it for about 5-10 min. I also thinks this helps with the neutralizing process because when I used the neutralizing shampoo there were no pink bubbles!!

The reasons why I think I came out underprocessed in the front sections are because
1. I got lazy and didn't put enough sections
2. I didn't have enough relaxer left

other wise than that it came out GREAT. I'm happier with my results rather than the salon. I think using sections also give you more uniform results

London Diva use to have a tutorial but I think she took it down:sad:

I think her tutorial is still there. I have heard people say you have to use a lot of relaxer but avoid overprocessing by putting lots of conditioner or vaseline.

OP I live in brooklyn too. i would love it if a another LCHFer would help me out.

thesweetone

It is great to have someone to help you! My DH helps me every time. I don't think I could manage by myself. But there are plenty of people here who do it solo. Also, self-relaxing takes some practice. I too was severely underprocessed when I did it for the first time. Like you, I didn't use enough relaxer. I'm still not bone straight everywhere as is my goal each time, but I'm happy with the results.

As someone else suggested, check out LondonDiva's tutorial if you can find it. That's where I learned to do it in sections. When I first started out I was doing it in four sections and the second time I did that, I had the bone straight results that I was looking for. However, that process is very time consuming and I lost patience, so the next two times I've done it in three and two sections. I'm going to be sticking to two sections. Relaxing in sections works well because it takes the time pressure off of you. As opposed to 15-20 min for the whole head, you can concentrate on one section for 15-20 min and really smooth to get it straight.

The one good thing about the slight underprocessing that I get is that it means I don't have to be so worried about overlapping at the next relaxer.

I think your idea is great to link up with a fellow LHCF sista for help and I hope you find someone in your area to help you. HHG!

cocoagirl

locabouthair have you self relaxed before? We may have to hook up! Any others out there looking to make a "hair" connection...

MizzBrown

Hook each other up w/ relaxers? Hmmm...I don't know if I can trust yall...:rolleyes:

locabouthair

locabouthair have you self relaxed before? We may have to hook up! Any others out there looking to make a "hair" connection...

No I've never done it. This weekend will be my first time.I'm kinda nervous. But I have been practicing with conditioner a few times.

favorc

that is really a good idea. circle: