Sista's With Hair Loss.

CatSuga

Hair loss in Black Women: Got a bald spot? Read ASAP!!!

Here is a good artical.
http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatologytimes/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=56489
Dr. Callender

http://www.callenderskin.com/csc-callender.htm

Here another one
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_2_34/ai_102452890
Our hair-care practices are the major cause of both hair breakage and loss. Abusing hair with multiple processes, such as improperly or too frequently applied hair relaxers, coupled with excessive heat from hair dryers, hot rollers, and curling or flat irons can lead to breakage. Double processes, such as applying hair dyes on top of relaxers, are also damaging. At worst, these practices can cause a hair loss in Black women that's known as follicular degeneration syndrome or central centrifugal scarring alopecia. Other common causes of hair loss include traction alopecia (pulling from curlers or hairstyles that are too tight) and female-pattern alopecia, a hereditary form of hair loss in which women progressively thin at the top of the head.

Pictures of hair loss.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Re: Hair loss in Black Women: Got a bald spot? Read ASAP!!!

wow! their hair looks awful! I wonder what hair styling techniques they practiced to get hair loss like this. :(

CatSuga

Poohbear said:
wow! their hair looks awful! I wonder what hair styling techniques they practiced to get hair loss like this. :(

I will admit that at one timeI was the special ed idiot that applied relaxer to the scalp, relaxed every month, relaxed previously relaxed hair, colored it the same day I relaxed, turned the blow dryer on high and after all that hit it with the hot curlers. Not good hair care at all.

SilverSurfer

Hey, I just visited her office last week. Got an appointment for Tat Removal. Pretty nice office, staff and decent prices.

Anyway, I also just got diagnosed with Alopecia by another Doctor. I have balding spots in different areas of my hair that I have been trying to grow back for almost two years. My Derm said that mine seems to be caused by post-partum hair loss since I had my daughter almost two years ago and my hair had been fine before than as well as in good shape while I was pregnant. I have been natural for 3 years so I know it's not from heat or chemical damage.

So my Derm gave me a topical steroid like prescription and I have to get scalp injections in the balding areas. I am actually excited to get this done and get my hair back. But I do thank GOD mine is not as bad as those pictures posted. :ohwell:

OneShinyface

My mother suffers from female pattern baldness. It started with her hair thinning at the crown, like in the first picture. I've since discovered my hair is thinning there too. I pray mine doesn't progress more than this. If it does, I will have to resort to shaving my head.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
I have seen numbers of women where there nape/sideburns/edges or all three was sparse with a few stray hairs here and there. I try not to stare.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

CatSuga said:
I will admit that at one timeI was the special ed idiot that applied relaxer to the scalp, relaxed every month, relaxed previously relaxed hair, colored it the same day I relaxed, turned the blow dryer on high and after all that hit it with the hot curlers. Not good hair care at all.
so true. you just made me realize all the bad things i've done to my hair as well over the years as it slowly started to deteriorate. now that i have a low hairstyle, i see thin areas in my scalp. i have two on both sides around my hairline. now i'm just glad i started fresh and anew!