SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

itismehmmkay

It's about that time. And everyone else has one. So all my short-haired ladies, get in here. My hair is finally growing out my short hair cutS and I plan on letting it grow out, even if it's not in a blunt cut, just letting it grow. I feel pretty good in my techniques for retention and even plan on using supplements. So shoulder-length hair here I come.

Who all is in? Go ahead and just thank the post to be considered apart of the challenge. Also, answer the following:

What length are you now?

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?

What retention methods do you plan on using?

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special?

:yay::yay:

Oh and also post a starting pic...I'm so bad w/ these...lol but I'll eventually post one too.

Edited for more info:

The challenge will officially start on January 1st, 2013 and will check in every 3 mths. Please have a picture to post for the following dates:

• January 1, 2013
  • April 1, 2013 (no April's fools :nono::lol:)
  • July 1, 2013
  • October 1, 2013
  • FINAL REVEAL - December 31, 2013 :grin::grin::grin:

Prizes:

I think this'll make it a bit more interesting. I'll come back and edit this by January 1st on what the prize will be. In the meantime, feel free to post some ideas. My first though is maybe a mini product bag. But I think what would be great are tools/accessories of things that people with SL can use (but below SL can't). For instance, I know I can't wait until my hair gets in a bun, so something like that...bun sticks, updo clips, etc. Please help me with ideas :grin::grin::grin:

Additional questions:

When do you think you'll be SL?

Are you using any growth aides?

Okay :yay: Here we go yall!!!

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
What length are you now? NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural

What retention methods do you plan on using? PSing, I use MN and sulfur mix at night, cowashing, and dcing.

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? Just what I listed above.

ForumRunner_20121106_133301.jpg

ForumRunner_20121106_133324.jpg

londonfog

Hello!!! I am in! It's official, I have joined my second challenge since starting. Now to only figure out how to get my profile pic to upload.

I'm relaxed and currently about 3-4 inches away from SL and working towards it. My retention methods are to keep my hair as moisturized as possible since I relax. I stretch my relaxers every 10-12 weeks (aiming for longer). Deep conditioning twice a week. About every other night, I olive oil & massage my scalp, moisturize and seal w/ coconut oil. I try to go without heat and i wear my wig as a protective style (everyday) and I wrap my hair up every night.

I take 5000mcg of biotin and a women's multivitamin about 3-4 times a week but just joined another challenge to take them everyday.

Attachments

• back down 10-20-12 3.JPG
    back down 10-20-12 3.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 122
What length are you now?
Im neck length in the back and ear length in my crown.

Transitioning

No heat,protective styling, moisturizing and sealing and protein treatments

Well I'm going to try and et back on board with my vitamins

I will post pictures once i take my braids out in a couple of weeks or more.

Seamonster

I would really like to get this one this year, I am cutting out my layers, so I am kinda holding at Chin length

What length are you now? Chin

What retention methods do you plan on using? No Heat, and protective styling

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? Seaweed, and vitamins

I just cut my hair last night so I will update my picture asap

MsKikiStar

Hey ladies...I'm in!

What length are you now? 2.5" or Chin Length
Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural as of 10/28/12 :yay:
What retention methods do you plan on using? PS'ing with wigs
Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? I'm getting back on my vitamin game: multi-vitamin, biotin, MSM, omega 369, chlorella and silica.

30something

Good luck ladies just want to show support, surprisingly I had a lot of fun at NL to SHL! Enjoy your hair and your challenges ladies!

londonfog

Are we waiting until the beginning of the year to start checking in w/ progress & processes on this one or can we start now?

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
^^ I guess we can start if everyone wants to. I think we keep posting in this years bc nobody's posted over here yet.

soulglo

What length are you now? NECK AND EAR LENGTH - DID A MAJOR CUT FOR SPLIT ENDS

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? NATURAL

What retention methods do you plan on using? PROTECTIVE STYLING WITH KINKY TWISTs, PROTEIN TREATMENTS + KEEPING MOISTURE IN CHECK,OILING SCALP WITH JOJOBA OIL

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? MULTIVITAMIN, IRON, SALMON OIL, OCCASIONALLY MSM
above in quote :)

Attachments

• hair 007.jpg
    hair 007.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 97
  • hair 010.jpg
    hair 010.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 91
  • hair 008.jpg
    hair 008.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 99

apemay1969

What length are you now? Necklength...still. :/

I am natural.

What retention methods do you plan
Moisturizing twice daily, weekly mild protein DC in steam room@gym, plaits under wig 75%, quarterly ends check and trim.

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else.
Taking multi everyday, msm two to three times a week , MTG once weekly after DC.

nm51tj

Count me in! My first challenge:grin:

What length are you now? I am currently neck length!

Natural.

I will be using the crown and glory technique,sealing with coconut oil daily.

Are you taking supplements or doing anything special?
I'm useless at remembering to take supplements, so will be just maintaining a healthy diet.

Starting pics to follow.....

HairPatience

OK, I've been waiting for this thread to start:

What length are you now? EL to NL.

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

What retention methods do you plan on using? No Heat, Moisturize 2xs a day, keeping a hair journal, Hair braided under wigs, Super long stretches.

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? Biotin (5000mcg), garlic pills, omega 369 & Hair Skin Nails. Also using Megateck 3-4 times a week. Quarterly dustings.

Mz.MoMo5235

So what is being considered sl?

I shaved off my hair and I don't plan on cutting to even things up, so my nape will reach sl WAY before my crown.

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

faithVA

I don't know that I can make it to SL by the end of 2013. But this will give me something to focus on.

What length are you now? I have 2.5" to 4" depending on the area.

Will be sticking to my regi:
...Prepooing/Detangling
...Washing with a cleansing conditioner
...DCing with head
...Leave-in/oil combo before styling
...For right now styling in finger coils 1x a week

...Multi-vitamin
...Iron
...MSM
...Biotin
...Vitamin D

Starting Pics
Dec3112_LengthP1.JPG

123112CrownP1.jpg

I will use the hair that lines up at the top of my ear, and call SL when it reaches my shoulder blade in the back. I think that's way more than 6 inches but :ohwell:
Don't have a beginning pic for that though because it's not long enough to see :lol:

Last edited:

Babygrowth

Yay! I'm in! I was just thinking about how nice it would be to talk to others who are trying to grow their short hair out like me!

*What length are you now? everywhere from eyebrow length to neck length! I shaved my hair off so although the pieces are the same length inch wise my nape will definitely reach SL before the rest of my hair.

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Texlaxed

What retention methods do you plan on using? I will be prepooing, washing, and Dcing weekly. I am also hiding my hair under wigs via cornrows while its cold then probably get braids when its warm. I only relax 2-3x per year. My next relaxer will be february.

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? Prenatal vitamins, and maybe some sulfur free growth aids like Hairitage Hydrations sprout or Camille Rose growth serum.

I will post pics tmrw after I wash my hair.

faithVA

[USER=330401 said:
HairPleezeGrow[/USER];17306737]Im in a wig but am already ready to take it out. I sewed it in saturday and im missing my hair already.

Be patient the feeling should pass soon. It just takes a little time to adjust. :yep:

1. I am neck lengh2. Transitioning
3. I plan on protective styling... Sew ins and braids. My hair seems to adore low manipulation. Also co washing and doing adequate protein treatments. Moisturizer seal daily

Babygrowth

Had an awesome wash session yesterday! Trying to figure out how to load pics from my phone but I can't. Putting the cornrows back in today. Wigging it tmrw.

faithVA

My coils are holding up pretty well. They feel a little dry at the roots though. Maybe I will try spritzing them with something tonight. I think I have some Komaza Coconut Mist and some Frank Juice. Think I will wear my scarf tonight instead of my bonnet because the front coils are sticking straight up :lol:

I like my coils I just wish I could wash my scalp midweek. I don't know how I use to wear these for 30 days :nono:

ladyscorpian14

What length are you now?1/2 inch/ fade

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? natural

What retention methods do you plan on using? no heat, protective styling

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? mtg, hair vitamin, castor oil

Last edited: