Sl 2016 Challenge

Evolving78

I'm going to do better with my hair as well as DD's. We have been super lazy and it has taken a toll. My Detangling session went well. Hers...smh still at it. those pony puffs are the devil!

ITS.CHRISSI

I know I still have not posted my photo yet ( dont kill me). I am sneaking at work so its tough! lol

As an update my medium size twists were great but they kept sliding out around the edges. After 3 weeks and midway into my vacation I had to take them out. Strangely i felt more myself when i took them out and got way more compliments. I will not do anymore protective styling until October. I am wearing wash and goes till then. I hate the ssk's but the stretched styles look weird in my opinion right now. Secretly i am still in shock about how coily my hair is as this is my second time around the natural block.

My fellow curlygirl told me that my hair is already dropping so that gave me life today!:toocool:

faithVA

So I bought my first flat iron. Nothing special, just a Conair tourmaline ceramic I picked up from Walgreens. They were giving away points for a $20 purchase so I ended up with a flat iron and enough points to add to my existing points to end up with $60 in Walgreen dollars.

I didn't get a digital or one with any real temperature settings. This one has the 1 to 30 settings. I figure I would just start at 1 and work my way up. I'm not really trying to get my hair that straight anyway. If I use this a few times and find I really want to straighten my hair then I will buy something more advanced.

I don't plan on trying to flat iron until October. However, I may try it on a section of hair when I do my length check at the end of the month.

LdyKamz

Washed my hair tonight and realized I didn't post when I did the hard protein last week. So last week I shampooed, used Nexxus Emergencee conditioner and towel dried. Then I applied the Nexxus Emergencee Reconstructor treatment. I left it on for maybe 10 minutes. I tried to follow the instructions as closely as possible instead of extended periods of time like I normally do. Then I rinsed and deep conditioned with Joico Moisture Recovery balm. I twisted and Bantu knots as usual.

So funny that my style has lasted longer than usual. I like washing every 3-4 days but it was also necessary because by that time my style would need to be done over. I could have gone the whole week my hair still looked good but I wanted to get a cowash in. So I just washed my hair with Aussie Moist. I'm focusing on complete moisture until I straighten at the end of the month.

Anyway, my hair was so easy. No tangles, could run my hands right through my hair, didn't need a comb to detangle and it felt so nice and soft. I'm always amazed at the way my hair behaves after a protein treatment. It really is something I'm glad I incorporated into my regimen. I'm also glad I figured out how often I need it.

faithVA

Washed my hair tonight and realized I didn't post when I did the hard protein last week. So last week I shampooed, used Nexxus Emergencee conditioner and towel dried. Then I applied the Nexxus Emergencee Reconstructor treatment. I left it on for maybe 10 minutes. I tried to follow the instructions as closely as possible instead of extended periods of time like I normally do. Then I rinsed and deep conditioned with Joico Moisture Recovery balm. I twisted and Bantu knots as usual.

So funny that my style has lasted longer than usual. I like washing every 3-4 days but it was also necessary because by that time my style would need to be done over. I could have gone the whole week my hair still looked good but I wanted to get a cowash in. So I just washed my hair with Aussie Moist. I'm focusing on complete moisture until I straighten at the end of the month.

Anyway, my hair was so easy. No tangles, could run my hands right through my hair, didn't need a comb to detangle and it felt so nice and soft. I'm always amazed at the way my hair behaves after a protein treatment. It really is something I'm glad I incorporated into my regimen. I'm also glad I figured out how often I need it.
I may try the Nexus since I can get it on the ground. I really like the Komaza but I prefer not to order if I don't have to.

LdyKamz

@faithVA I loved the Komaza protein strengthener but I switched to Nexxus for the same reason. I was tired of ordering only that one thing from them and felt like I had too many of my products that I couldn't get in one place. Nexxus is a nice replacement for me. The Restorative Conditioner is good for a weekly light protein too.

You don't know what I went through to figure this stuff out though. Because what I use wasn't the holy grail product that I kept seeing here on the board. So I had to call Nexxus and ask them about all the products that I saw the other ladies using and they explained that most of those things were either salon products, discontinued or both. So I settled on this new Nexxus 3 step system that includes shampoo, conditioner and treatment. I don't buy the shampoo though.

faithVA

@faithVA I loved the Komaza protein strengthener but I switched to Nexxus for the same reason. I was tired of ordering only that one thing from them and felt like I had too many of my products that I couldn't get in one place. Nexxus is a nice replacement for me. The Restorative Conditioner is good for a weekly light protein too.

You don't know what I went through to figure this stuff out though. Because what I use wasn't the holy grail product that I kept seeing here on the board. So I had to call Nexxus and ask them about all the products that I saw the other ladies using and they explained that most of those things were either salon products, discontinued or both. So I settled on this new Nexxus 3 step system that includes shampoo, conditioner and treatment. I don't buy the shampoo though.
I guess a trip to Ulta is in order when it's time to restock. I've had this Komaza for a while though. I. Would probably buy 2 bottles a year Be be good for a long time.

LdyKamz

@shortdub78 how did you maintain your straight hair last time...before the frizz turned your hair back into a fro. I can't find anything on youtube about maintaining straight hair on short haired naturals. Everyone says wrapping but since my hair is short having one side that basically comes to the front because it was wrapped all night is a no for me. And I don't know how to cross wrap. I found only one video where the girl parted her hair on the side in the style she wanted to wear it, combed it down and put her scarf on. All she did was shake it out and combed in the morning. I feel like that might make for some flat hair but at least you can still wear it out right? I'm aiming for a week of straightness but I'm about to check with weather right quick so I know if I should bother.

Evolving78

@shortdub78 how did you maintain your straight hair last time...before the frizz turned your hair back into a fro. I can't find anything on youtube about maintaining straight hair on short haired naturals. Everyone says wrapping but since my hair is short having one side that basically comes to the front because it was wrapped all night is a no for me. And I don't know how to cross wrap. I found only one video where the girl parted her hair on the side in the style she wanted to wear it, combed it down and put her scarf on. All she did was shake it out and combed in the morning. I feel like that might make for some flat hair but at least you can still wear it out right? I'm aiming for a week of straightness but I'm about to check with weather right quick so I know if I should bother.
Pin curls, flexi rods, sleeping pretty, and lightly tying a scarf around.

faithVA

I'm getting better at moisturizing my twist. They still look a mess but at least they feel better. I'm spritzing with really watered down leave-in, baggying for about 10 minutes and then wearing my silk scarf for about 20 to 30 minutes. I banded them last night and that gave me a good stretch. When they are stretched they are more tolerable. They look super crazy when they shrink up.

I'm going to do 2 strand twist 1x a month until they grow out enough where I like them more. I'm going to go back to my flat twist. I want to try finger coils when I have a little more time.

faithVA

Despite the mega heat I decided to wear a twist out Saturday to a cookout. Before I took out my twist I spritzed them with heat protectant, used an humidity serum and then spritzed again with the heat protectant.

With the banding my twist out was wearable. It held up through the heat, the wearing of a hat and hanging out in the pool. I will keep playing around with this combination.

I couldn't salvage it for day 2 hair so I added some leave in and put my flat twist back in.

I washed today. Im trying banding for the first time. I have about 12 banded sections. I'm under the dryer now for about an hour.

Evolving78

Thank you.

I'm getting close. I'm trying to reach my shoulder blade in the back. My hair reaches the top of my shoulders but isn't far enough down my back yet.

I hope to call it at the end of December and be done with it.
Claim IT! You are SL! You have worked so hard! You have been so dedicated! Claim it lady! You deserve to claim! I don't have the patience like you! After this recent tangling situation I had, I was about to go the barber and get a taper! But no.. I'm going to hang in there and just wait until I can get a decent product. You are inspiring to keep going and find out what will work!

Evolving78

I know this isn't a natural thread, but I was looking at some pics from 2014. Can't say for sure it was the relaxer, but the issues I had were just terrible. I deleted those bald spot pictures. I gotta make this natural thing work, or I will be dependent on chemicals.
I always said if I was to remain natural, I would have to have locs to avoid dealing with the knots and tangles.
I would really like to work on being a loose hair natural and wear it straight. I prefer straight hair for myself, but my texture won't let me be great!

faithVA

Claim IT! You are SL! You have worked so hard! You have been so dedicated! Claim it lady! You deserve to claim! I don't have the patience like you! After this recent tangling situation I had, I was about to go the barber and get a taper! But no.. I'm going to hang in there and just wait until I can get a decent product. You are inspiring to keep going and find out what will work!
You are hilarious. I will claim it soon enough. I'm not in a rush. When I straighten I don't want to be able to see my shoulders.

Claiming it sooner will just make it that much longer to get to APL.

Besides it's not like when I claim it I'm leaving the thread since I'm hosting. I will ride it out with everyone else. I can't wait to see the updates.

faithVA

I've cut so much and had so many setbacks I'm just grinding it out now.

So hang in there. Things can turn around before you know it.

faithVA

I know this isn't a natural thread, but I was looking at some pics from 2014. Can't say for sure it was the relaxer, but the issues I had were just terrible. I deleted those bald spot pictures. I gotta make this natural thing work, or I will be dependent on chemicals.
I always said if I was to remain natural, I would have to have locs to avoid dealing with the knots and tangles.
I would really like to work on being a loose hair natural and wear it straight. I prefer straight hair for myself, but my texture won't let me be great!

Now is the time to figure out why you are getting knots and tangles. Something in your regimen is off. So what's going on?

I had knots and tangles with my first setback and I changed my regimen and haven't had them since.

Had other issues though:lol:

Evolving78

Wow the products that I love prices have increased! That's $100 for me! I need 4 products! Well at least 3. The Detangling ghee, the heavy cream, or the burdock, and the twist butter. I will get the gel later.

scarcity21

is oyin hair dew a lotion? just bought at target and wanted to make sure i got the right product because all this time i was thinking i was a liquid leave in

Evolving78

Now is the time to figure out why you are getting knots and tangles. Something in your regimen is off. So what's going on?

I had knots and tangles with my first setback and I changed my regimen and haven't had them since.

Had other issues though:lol:
It's the products I'm using. I'm not getting the moisture I need. But you know I only wore wash and goes up until I was 3-5 inches in the past. That was my cut off. After that I had to keep my hair in twists.
The products I have tried feel very waxy and just sit on my hair.

At first I thought maybe I need more protein, but I saw I might have had protein overload. So I really need some moisture.

Oyin seems to work, but not heavy enough. It seems I need something heavier this time around.

I'm too tired and lazy to want to twist my hair all of the time. I'm going to ask my SIL to help me out. They are in some ugly twists now and my hair is moisturized. I used to style my hair back in the day, but I just don't have it in me to do all of that. That's why I really need to invest in some wraps. I'm gonna get my hormones checked next week.
I need some cheap vitamins too. (That work)

Evolving78

is oyin hair dew a lotion? just bought at target and wanted to make sure i got the right product because all this time i was thinking i was a liquid leave in
They hair dew is a moisturizing hair lotion. I use it. Love the stuff. I need something heavier though that doesn't have glycerin. That's why I'm going back to Qhemet soon!

LdyKamz

Ya'll Imma have to sell some tail to get these products! Wash day is coming soon! :lachen: if not, I will be wearing these twists for two more weeks!
:rofl:You didn't like the Aussie Moist then huh?

My moisture levels are on point since that hard protein treatment. Only thing I noticed when I washed my hair on Sunday was that I could probably start using shampoo every other week instead of weekly. I never thought I would be that person but I didn't need the shampoo this time around. I only did it because it's what I'm used to. My hair didn't like it at all but once I put the conditioner on it started to behave again.