Sl 2016 Challenge

LdyKamz

I'm having a love hate kinda day with my hair. It came out so good. The curls are popping all over the place and I have incredible hold when I look in the mirror I'm liking the look. However if I step a little closer to the mirror I can see some damn white flakes in my hair and when I touch or fluff and that crap falls on my shirt. It is not the move at all. I got home late on Sunday so after I washed I just did 2 braids and in the morning I took them out and pulled my hair back. Last night I styled using shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl and style milk to moisturize and a teeny tiny bit of eco styler gel. I haven't used gel in a while and I shouldn't have used it last night. That's what did it.

I liked how it came out just not the flakes so I think I might try the same combo but replace eco styler with aloe vera gel.

Last edited:

faithVA

That would be the only way, that might work for me.
Yeah I think when you first start wngs you have to do it daily or every other day until the hair adjusts.

For it to work for me I wohld have to wash in the morning and let it dry through the day. Once the hair dries out it will tangle because the cuticles lift.

Evolving78

Yeah I think when you first start wngs you have to do it daily or every other day until the hair adjusts.

For it to work for me I wohld have to wash in the morning and let it dry through the day. Once the hair dries out it will tangle because the cuticles lift.
I mean, I would have to wash it out at night and twist my hair up, then wash and go again. But my hair tangles (due to the shed hairs getting caught) yeah I just can't do it anymore and not pay for it. I know better too. I found that out 10 years ago! Lol

ForestRose

I think I've officially reached SL. My hair is touching my collar bone.

Just been PS and doing it loosely so that I never put tension on my scalp.

No heat except on my leaveout which I'm fine with as I'm plan on wearing bangs anyway and I don't do wash and go's

Minimal manipulation.

I do feel like I could so a lot better because when I've had my hair out I haven't always been as gentle with it. Now I'm on my way to APL I need to not be as rough as I'm going into lengths I've never attempted properly before. Its taken me way too long to realize that safely PS with extensions is how my hair grows best. I wish I had known earlier. I wouldn't have texlaxed and would probably be at around BSL

gvin89

What do yall think about these pics? My fall length check. Looks like I'm SL, but my hair isn't in the condition that I'd like. My ends are noticeably thinner than the few inches from the root. I'm at a crossroad on whether to cut the ends off (probably another 2-3 inches) or just let it continue to grow and just trim frequently. It's like I'm transitioning again.

Attachments

• 20160906_220929.jpg
    20160906_220929.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160906_220840.jpg
    20160906_220840.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 17

faithVA

I think I've officially reached SL. My hair is touching my collar bone.

Just been PS and doing it loosely so that I never put tension on my scalp.

No heat except on my leaveout which I'm fine with as I'm plan on wearing bangs anyway and I don't do wash and go's

Minimal manipulation.

I do feel like I could so a lot better because when I've had my hair out I haven't always been as gentle with it. Now I'm on my way to APL I need to not be as rough as I'm going into lengths I've never attempted properly before. Its taken me way too long to realize that safely PS with extensions is how my hair grows best. I wish I had known earlier. I wouldn't have texlaxed and would probably be at around BSL

Congratulations on reaching SL. Please share your update pictures with us when you have a chance. We all like to see pictures of success.

faithVA

What do yall think about these pics? My fall length check. Looks like I'm SL, but my hair isn't in the condition that I'd like. My ends are noticeably thinner than the few inches from the root. I'm at a crossroad on whether to cut the ends off (probably another 2-3 inches) or just let it continue to grow and just trim frequently. It's like I'm transitioning again.
Congratulations on reaching SL. I recommend taking a little off at a time, trimming frequently and doing a protein treatment every 4 to 6 weeks to strengthen your ends.

GGsKin

I'd let it grow. Unless you've experienced a fair bit of breakage, those could be new shorter hairs growing out, making your hair look like it has thin ends.

LdyKamz

Great progress. I would trim frequently until you get the thickness back and even it up. But I'm scissor happy so do with that what you will.

ForestRose

Congratulations on reaching SL. Please share your update pictures with us when you have a chance. We all like to see pictures of success.

@gvin89
@xxlalaxx You know we want to see :flahssssss:of your lovely hair!!! :congrats: :congrats: to you as well!!!

Love to see you ladies reaching goals!!!
I know I should've I just put my hair in extensions. I get so lazy with pics. I will be hanging around on this thread till way past december anyway so I will definitely post pics. I want to wait till I get past my longest length (an inch and a 1/2 past CBL before I graduate officially and feel confident enough to move forward) I do want to say ty to everyone for my good "hair moments" and bad. My hair would be a mess without this thread. Plus the hair p*rn on this site is more that enough to fill my appetite for healthy hair haha.

LdyKamz

I did my hair on Friday and I played myself and made the Bantu knots to big. So really I just had stretched hair with no real style. And now my hair is matted and looking a mess. Going to cowash tonight and get myself together.

LdyKamz

I'm having a love hate kinda day with my hair. It came out so good. The curls are popping all over the place and I have incredible hold when I look in the mirror I'm liking the look. However if I step a little closer to the mirror I can see some damn white flakes in my hair and when I touch or fluff and that crap falls on my shirt. It is not the move at all. I got home late on Sunday so after I washed I just did 2 braids and in the morning I took them out and pulled my hair back. Last night I styled using shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl and style milk to moisturize and a teeny tiny bit of eco styler gel. I haven't used gel in a while and I shouldn't have used it last night. That's what did it.

I liked how it came out just not the flakes so I think I might try the same combo but replace eco styler with aloe vera gel.

My hair came out much better with this combo. I may run out of ale vera gel soon though and I'm in the no buy challenge. I wonder if fruit of the earth has a tub instead of just the pump and squeeze bottles. I liked the pump but it's so hard to get all of it out when it gets to the end.

faithVA

i had that style in the late 90's. I tried to do it on my own 3? Years ago and it was a fail! I couldn't get my parts straight enough to my liking.
I need to do something soon! You know I get bored and start doing drastic stuff! :lachen: I don't feel cute right now.

Why would you need straight parts? You won't even see them. Maybe you are thinking of something else.

LdyKamz

So last night I cowashed and I think the last time I used shampoo was last Sunday. Let's see. I wore my hair a few days longer last week and co washed I think on a Friday then I cowashed again this past Sunday and cowashed again last night. OK yes last Sunday was last shampoo. I noticed my hair was a little coated so when I wash this style out it is definitely time for a shampoo. Think I'm going to like this. Now I can see what my hair is doing instead of stripping it faithfully every single week for no reason.

In other news I styled my hair last night and the curls are so pretty and I love them. Thing is I found a case of hair and body smell good stuff that I usually leave prepared for when I stay at SO's. I used what was in the little thing I use for gel and I cannot remember what kind of gel that is. Whatever kind it was it made my curls pop. It was too yellow for aloe vera gel but too thin to be eco styler. I swear I think I may have mixed the two to get rid of old bottles or something. I hate when that happens.