Sl 2016 Challenge

beingofserenity

If no one else wants to, I will host the shoulder length 2017 thread. Right now I am somewhere between shoulder and neck length. BY the end of 2017 I will probably be between full shoulder and APL length. I just need the shortest layers of my hair to actually reach my shoulders.

Whatever I've been doing, my hair has improved significantly since last year. I straightened my hair yesterday and it was amazing because I could see that despite everything, it had grown quite a bit. My ends are also doing a lot better. Last year, when I tried to flat iron it was like the ends had turned into a dreaded mat. Today, my ends aren't perfect, but I can get them to be smooth, etc. I've had some epiphanies about how to handle my hair and I am quite excited to see where I'll end up.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hey yall! I finally recovered from homecoming and the untimely news on my uncle's tragic demise...pray for my family.

I'm having trouble uploading pics from my phone. I'll update the post with it once I get home.

Now that the weather is getting colder, I know I have to up my moisture game. Hard to find time to do my hair like I should.
My condolences on the loss of you loved one

LdyKamz

Anybody ever tried bantu knots on unstretched hair?
That's the only way I do mine. Straight out the shower sometimes soaking wet, sometimes my hair has dried a little. It doesn't last that long on stretched hair for me.

Last edited:

LdyKamz

@KammyGirl , do you use gel or something? Just let it dry overnight? I'm going to try tonight! Thank you!
I've tried different combos depending on how long I want it to last. Eco styler lets the style stay the whole week but I get flakes. Aloe vera gel lasts about 4 days. Less hold and softer hair. Taliah wajiid with a serum yields soft hair that gets bigger over the course of a week. It can last until the end but I usually do a midweek cowash.

I almost always air dry over night. If you do medium sized knots your hair should be dry in the am. If they are too big might still be damp.

faithVA

I'm going to try washing my hair every other week versus every week since I'm back to coloring. Last night I spritzed it and used the Teraveda Organix twist and curl creme and retwisted my flat twist.

I have an interview on Thursday. I thought about washing it on Wednesday, but I think I'm going to try to just curl the front. I think I will put in perm rods on Tuesday night to see how they hold up for Wednesday. If that works I will just repeat for Thursday and then wash on the weekend. I'm afraid if I wash on Wednesday, my color my wash out and I don't want my sides gray when I go to the interview. I'm also feeling sort of lazy. :lol:

jennifer30

Welcome back. How are things going for you?
Ha thanks..my hair is growing but not out of the twa stage yet...it's gonna be a long time to reach my goal length but I'm having fun with my natural hair. I wanted to post a picture but I just braided a day ago and don't want to undo it now... I'm waiting for the next challenge..my hair is barely 2.5 inches now..

Last edited:

Evolving78

The new growth is real! I'm already 4 weeks post ladies! Wow! Washed and conditioned my hair. Letting it air dry a bit before I blow dry. I'm gonna flat iron it and just wrap it up. i will probably wash again Thursday. I'm just a sucker for a good shampoo and dc! It's now where I will have to wash and detangle in sections.

Evolving78

Got this spray by Cantu for split ends. I got it on sale at Walgreens. I also got NTM leave-in. I put a little in my hair after flat ironing it. I like this combo! Hair looks nice today.

LdyKamz

So I spent all last night watching hair straightening videos. Every time I do this I get the urge to straighten. I watched this video last night and now I have the straightening fever. I feel like I need to buy a new blow dryer though because I can't find a comb attachment for my chi air classic anywhere.

Evolving78

So I spent all last night watching hair straightening videos. Every time I do this I get the urge to straighten. I watched this video last night and now I have the straightening fever. I feel like I need to buy a new blow dryer though because I can't find a comb attachment for my chi air classic anywhere.

I just heart her! I love her vids. I have the blow dryer she uses and that sucker can get hot! I don't put it on the highest setting though. I use the comb attachment to dry my hair, Natural and relaxed.

LdyKamz

I'll straighten with the next few weeks and trim and then the SL challenge will be over. I stayed exactly the same the entire year even though the overall health of my hair has done a turn around. I know my hair grew because I can bun now and my styles look bigger but straight hair looks exactly the same! Neck length. Smh This hair thing is frustrating sometimes.

faithVA

I went on an interview Thursday and my hair was just raggedy. I had intended on wearing curls in the front but Wednesday night I didn't feel like being bothered. I tried to do some big flat twist in the front that pinnacle them up but it just looked raggedy :lol: I gave up and decided if they were going to hire me they have to accept my hair the way it is because it stays in flat twist. And some times they look good and sometimes not.