“slave For Sale” Craigslist Ad Hate Crime

Kanky

(CNN) — An Illinois student is facing a hate crime charge after he placed a photo of a black classmate on Craigslist with the caption "slave for sale," authorities said.
The 14-year-old suspect has not been identified because he's a juvenile. He's been charged with two counts of committing a hate crime and one count of disorderly conduct, Naperville's police chief and the state's attorney said Wednesday.
The student allegedly took a photo of the victim on November 14 at Naperville Central High School, which they both attend.
In the photo's caption, he said the location for the sale is Naperville, a suburb of Chicago. An investigation determined the juvenile posted the ad along with additional unidentified offensive language, police said.
The suspect and the victim know each other
The suspect allegedly took the photo in the school's lunchroom when they both sat at the same table, the Chicago Tribune reported. It said the suspect is white and the victim is also 14.
The suspect and the victim were teammates on the school's wrestling team, CNN affiliate WLS reported.
"The allegations against the juvenile in this case are beyond disturbing," DuPage County State's Attorney Robert B. Berlin said. "Hate crimes have no place in our society and will not be tolerated in DuPage County. Anyone, regardless of age, accused of such disgraceful actions will be charged accordingly."
Naperville Police Chief Robert Marshall described the incident as despicable and offensive.
"Every single person deserves the right to feel safe and welcome in our community, and this department will continue to strive to make that a reality by thoroughly investigating any allegations of hate crimes and bringing those found responsible to justice."
Latest racist incident in Naperville within weeks
In an interview with CNN affiliate WGN, the victim's mother said the two were once friends but the suspect started making derogatory comments.
"The moment he started teasing my son, calling him dumb, making fun of his skin color, saying 'shut up slave' last October, they are not friends anymore," she said.
Just last month, Naperville made national news after workers at a local Buffalo Wild Wings were fired for asking a group of mostly African-American people to change tables because of their skin color. The family said a host told them to move to another table because one of the restaurant's regular customers does not want black people sitting near him.
The police chief said the incidents are not related.

The suspect appeared in juvenile court Wednesday, and his next court appearance is December 18.
Naperville is about 35 miles from Chicago.

Tibbar

(CNN) — An Illinois student is facing a hate crime charge after he placed a photo of a black classmate on Craigslist with the caption "slave for sale," authorities said.
The 14-year-old suspect has not been identified because he's a juvenile. He's been charged with two counts of committing a hate crime and one count of disorderly conduct, Naperville's police chief and the state's attorney said Wednesday.
Latest racist incident in Naperville within weeks
In an interview with CNN affiliate WGN, the victim's mother said the two were once friends but the suspect started making derogatory comments.
"The moment he started teasing my son, calling him dumb, making fun of his skin color, saying 'shut up slave' last October, they are not friends anymore," she said.
Just last month, Naperville made national news after workers at a local Buffalo Wild Wings were fired for asking a group of mostly African-American people to change tables because of their skin color. The family said a host told them to move to another table because one of the restaurant's regular customers does not want black people sitting near him.

That fool in the white house has a lot to answer for. These people feel so emboldened to let all of their true nature out confident in their belief that there are no consequences for their actions. And clearly they are starting younger and younger. It's very easy to recruit them into these extreme beliefs with everything they can access on the internet. Also schools are increasingly segregated due to communities being so segregated. There's no exposure so we're constantly "othered". They don't even really see us as people.

ThirdEyeBeauty

Ok so the racist idiot is dead wrong and I hope he is punished hard; but Craigslist doesn't have editors or people to vett these ads?...is it anything goes?
I would rather it stay so they can get caught rather than someone having to check constantly. Children like him will do it again and again. He needs a punishment that can possibly change him or sink him. In fact, he should do some volunteer work for a minority organization on top of criminal charges--maybe some type of diversion program.

Kanky

I would rather it stay so they can get caught rather than someone having to check constantly. Children like him will do it again and again. He needs a punishment that can possibly change him or sink him. In fact, he should do some volunteer work for a minority organization on top of criminal charges--maybe some type of diversion program.

I think that they need to charge him as an adult and put in him prison like they do 14 year old black kids. Then the black kid’s parents should sue the racist’s family into bankruptcy.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"

Laela

Sandra Bland left Naperville only to be killed by racists in Texas. IDC how old this suspect is, that was a heinous crime and should be investigated by the FBI to see what else this boy and family are into. This is federal-level civil rights violation and should not be taken lightly. You don't go from 0- 60 with this "friends" thing... doesn't add up.

Where are the civil rights groups?

MizAvalon

Ok so the racist idiot is dead wrong and I hope he is punished hard; but Craigslist doesn't have editors or people to vett these ads?...is it anything goes?

Pretty much. It's up to other users to flag posts that are inappropriate. If no one reports it, then the post just stays up. Believe it or not, CL has calmed down a lot, it used to be the wild west. There used to be drugs, prostitution, all kinds of of stuff just openly listed on there.

You can still find those things on there, you just have to look a little harder.

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside
Along with the (historical) racist elements that make this a hate crime, this fool basically advertised human trafficking of a(-nother) minor, which is in and of itself illegal and problematic regardless of race.
I'm sure I don't need to point out that human trafficking = modern-day slavery.

Laela

Would be interesting to see the outcome of that court appearance this week

The suspect appeared in juvenile court Wednesday, and his next court appearance is December 18.
Naperville is about 35 miles from Chicago.