Sleeping Habits Stunting Hair Growth

Country gal

I think the way I sleep may be stunting my hair growth. I tend to sleep on my sides. Primarily I sleep on my right side. When I twisted my hair I noticed the left side is longer than the right side. My hair has always grown really fast in the back but the front never catchs up. Even when I trim my hair even all over the back always outgrows the front of my hair. I am wondering if me laying on one side is causing my hair to not grow as long. Any thoughts?

I have heard that you should be conscious of sleeping on one side because it could cause that side to break. Sleeping on one side excessively I would imagine could cause breakage. I wonder about this because I usually sleep on my sides too. I wish I could sleep with my head straight back. I may have to challenge myself :)

A couple of years ago, one side of my hair was longer and fuller than the otherside and I immediately assumed that the way that I was sleeping was the culprit. At present, both sides of my hair of practically identical and my sleeping habits havent changed. I believe that my problem was how I was styling my hair. One side of our hair will always be easier to style than the other (unless we are "ambidextrous") so we must be conscious of that.

If you tie a scarf at night you might want to see where you place your knot each night. I was tying my knot in the back, and noticed that I had two little indentations in the back of my head from what the knots would rub against my hair when I slept on my back. And before that my right side was wearing thin because I was tying my knot on the side.

I have since resorted to wearing a hair net underneath a satin bonnet. I wrap my pillow with my scarf now, so I don't have to run out and buy a new satin pillowcase ;) This is working well so far.

I have an issue with not wanting to cover my hair at night and I think it adds on to the fact that I sleep on my sides too...which is double trouble for my growth.

Yup. My left side is a bit shorter and not as thick as my right side. I've gotta start sleeping on my right side more. :lol:

Nita81 said:
Hmmm very interesting b/c the left side of my hair is shorter than the right side.

vikkisecret said:
I have an issue with not wanting to cover my hair at night and I think it adds on to the fact that I sleep on my sides too...which is double trouble for my growth.

Same here.

deedabug said:
i dont think its true for me..i sleep on my left side and it is the longest...

same here...sometimes I wonder is it because the blood flows more to the side you lay. hmmm

I am just really curious becuase I don't want to be stunting my hair growth. My hair is growing but I wonder if it would be longer is I layed on my back more. I find that when I attempt to sleep on my back, I still end up on my right side.

this is true when u sleep on one side the other side tend to be longer & u might even get breakage its best to change up your sleeping styles or get satin/silk pillow cases hopes this helps​

I try to switch positions but if u sleep on one side more than one how are u supposed to kno and how can you change it?

Back