Sleeping with conditioner

Tashique

I had kinky twists in for 3 weeks and when i took then out my hairr was extremely dry.
My last perm was 1st March 2006

I put Keracare Humecto in my hair covered it with a plastic bag and went to sleep.

I lost hardly no hair when I washed it out in the morning and it was nice a soft, now my NG is very coarse and wiry and this was not evident after the conditioner.

Now my question is a friend who's a stylist said that I must never do this again as it will make my hair too soft and it will break.......

Is this true?

Interesting, I know a few ladies do this. I've heard some here say that conditioner only works for a little while anyway, so I don't know if she is referring to over-moisturizing your hair. I wish I could answer this but hopefully someone else can since I've been considering doing the same thing.

tenderheaded

I've only left oil in my hair overnight. But, the May/June issue of Sally's Beauty suggests leaving the Silk Elements Hair Mayo on overnight. I know in the archives there are posts of people successfully sleeping in condish:)

candita

i've often slept overnight with conditioner many times (often night after night during summer, when it's hot and dry) with no bad reactions.

naturaline

i slept with con in my hair last nite- i do it when ever i do little plaits and im too tired to wash it out. my hair feels moistursed and still strong.

Candy_C

if your hair is fine then YES

if its as thick and as coarse as you state, then you should be ok

asubeauty

Why can't fine hair do condition overnight?

Man, I was gonna try this tonight.... It must have been meant for me to see this thread.

Tashique

Thank you for all the responses :)

Now least I know can do it and get to sleep not worrying that I will wake up with hair all over the pillow.

KiniKakes

I sleep in mtg all the time, and I also sleep with my hair lathered in ORS Olive Oil moisturizer or Cantu Shea Butter Anti-Breakage formula (both water-based). I have very fine hair..... sleeping in these oils/moisturizers has never been a problem.

Ive never slept in conditioner though.

sareca

If my hair has gotten too much moisture (from an overnight stay or just repeated deep conditioning) it doesn't feel right. Instead of feeling like adente pasta it feels like mashed potatoes then starts breaking. When that happens I know it time for a protein treatment.

plove

I have done the con in hair over night many times out of pure laziness I even have a pillow for those nights and my hair just come out really soft in the morning when i wash it out.
I think it's up to you hair. Do what it tells you to do.

Last edited:

JustKiya

Interesting! I have very fine, VERY kinky, double processed (bleached, then dyed red) hair, and one of my weekly treatments is sleeping in conditioner - it seems to be just enough moisture to get me through the week and only have to cowash once or twice to stay moist.
The weeks that I don't sleep in conditioner, I HAVE to deep condition my hair because it becomes so dry.

I suspect the fact that I have colored hair might make a difference - it needs all the moisture it can get.
Also, I have a very protien high diet - I can't use anything with protien in it without having crunchy hair.

yourleoqueen

I've been doing this for years. I have fine, relaxed 4a hair and I sleep in conditioner all the time. Laziness really, but I've never had any ill effects from it.

ETA: I don't do this much during winter for obvious reasons.

LovelyLionessa

I think I am going to try this tonight with a conditioner/leave in mix. Although the recent thread about "Overconditioning" has me a little scurred. I don't want to wake up with mushy hair. :look: