Slight Setback . . . .

Kurlee

Went to the hair dresser for a blowout for a very important event. Pre-washed and dried my hair. They insisted on washing it. Rubbing it all over on itself. Then rubbed the nasty dry towel on it, frizzing it up. Then kept me waiting for hours. I cussed multiple times and had to basically instruct on how to not *** up my hair. They didn't properly detangle and then had the audacity to tell me that I need a trim:nono:.

The only reason I didn't get up and leave was because I desperately needed to get my hair done for an event and time was not on my side. I am so pissed off. After the abuse my hair suffered, I KNOW I will have to cut off about an inch. I am NOT a happy camper. I am a DIY, but I suck at blowouts. Can anyone offer some tutorials and blowdryer/product recommendations so I can learn to blowout/press my hair myself, WELL?!

:cry: Back to MBL

Why the *** don't black hair salons know how to deal with long natural hair? They abuse the hell out of it and then tell u to trim it. Vicious cycle. I AM NEVER EVER EVER going to a salon for any reason, for as long as I live

/rant

LittleLuxe

So sorry that happened to you. I dont have any advice to offer but I hope the damage isn't too bad and wish you the best.

frizzy

Sorry you had a not so great experience. But did you say you went to the salon because you were pressed for time? :blush: :look: :perplexed

Kurlee

Sorry you had a not so great experience. But did you say you went to the salon because you were pressed for time? :blush: :look: :perplexed
no, i made an appointment a week ago. I have been there before with good results. The only reason i did not leave and do my hair at home was because i was pressed for time, 45 minutes away from home and HAD to attend the event (for professional purposes). I was on time for my appointment, but they kept me waiting.

SuchaLady

Awww Im sorry babygirl. Well you managed to get that hair of yours to that length so even if you must cut it you will surely be able to get it back :yep:

Kurlee

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I was soooooooo close to making my goal of WL in 2011. Sooooooo close. Like less than an inch away. Sighhhhhhh. . . . I guess it'll be WL 2012. I'll do a good trim, PS till June and study pressing and blow drying till then. Any recommendations, ladies?

JeterCrazed

BEFORE YOU CUT...
Sit under a bright reading lamp with a vrand new pair of hair sissors and cut splits strand by strand. I have done this many times to prevent chopping after nightmares like this. I go prewashed and they dare not ask me to wash. Blowing your own hair is not easy because of the awkwardness of the dryer handle. Check out this dryer...

http://www.amazon.com/Wigo-Watts-Ceramic-Digital-WG5119/dp/B000E21X4G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I suggest flat ironing on clean hair. No oil. Only Rusk Thermal Shine Spray or similar product.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

mscocoface

Jetercrazed makes a great suggestion. Really review your hair and cut away the splits.

You may not have to cut as much as you think. Sorry for the trauma and drama.

keelioness

Kurlee...Once you wash your hair it might be fine..sometimes the board makes us a little paranoid. One bad experience won' t necessarily lead to a setback

Kurlee

that sucks. but i'm not trying to be mean but you asked for it. huggies anyways.
:look: if i didn't care about being banned I would say some real things to you. What was the point of this post? I will keep my language in check:nono:

/ignoring rude jerks

keepithealthy

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Post like yours and others is why I haven't been to the salon in over 2 years...nope I just don't trust them.

As far as pressing, I'm still learning. But one thing that I have found helpful in blow drying is using a blow dryer with a comb attachment. It has made a world of difference and was much easier than using the denman or a soft bristle round brush. I part my hair in 4 sections and blow dry each section. It used to take me forever just to blow dry but that cut it down dramatically.

Kurlee

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Post like yours and others is why I haven't been to the salon in over 2 years...nope I just don't trust them.

As far as pressing, I'm still learning. But one thing that I have found helpful in blow drying is using a blow dryer with a comb attachment. It has made a world of difference and was much easier than using the denman or a soft bristle round brush. I part my hair in 4 sections and blow dry each section. It used to take me forever just to blow dry but that cut it down dramatically.

What model is this? It looks kinda cool. What technique do you use?

I only go to the salon like two to three times per year and only for a blowout for a special event and I always go with my hair pre-washed and sectioned in 4 twists so all they have to do is untwist, do a quick blow dry and flat/iron/press.

I'm convinced I have to to conquer this blowout thing so I NEVER have to go there for any reason ever again.

keepithealthy

What model is this? It looks kinda cool. What technique do you use?

I only go to the salon like two to three times per year and only for a blowout for a special event and I always go with my hair pre-washed and sectioned in 4 twists so all they have to do is untwist, do a quick blow dry and flat/iron/press.

I'm convinced I have to to conquer this blowout thing so I NEVER have to go there for any reason ever again.

I actually don't have that blow dryer. I use a Jilbre that looks similar to that.

I usually just wash, dc, part in 4, dry some with a shirt, I don't like to blow dry soaking wet hair. I think it is to stressful on my hair. I have a mix of fine and medium strands. So I apply my heat protectant on slightly dryed hair. Then just blow dry in sections. Starting in the back and working to the front. Blow drying from the top to the bottom. Then I just apply a little more heat protectant and flat iron in small sections.

I currently use an Andis 1" Ceramic flat iron and Cantu Shae Butter Super Shine hair silk as my heat protectant.

I'm still testing out heat protectants. I have a bunch but they are mostly serums. But I've heard that watery type heat protectants (like Chi Silk Infusion) make the hair lighter. I'm still trying to perfect the flat ironing process but so far that's what I've found to be the best blow drying process for me.