Slight Vent!

Demi27

You have to be like that with mall people sometimes! I was at a high-end mall in NOVA, making a quick stop and about to go home, and some man LITERALLY RAN after me in the mall with a flat iron!! I had to tell him off in the store. All the ...... white people (there's just no other way to say it) were stopping and staring at me. I was like no you don't come after my hair like that! I know you have lost your everloving mind fool! He told me that I'd be so much prettier if I straightened my hair. Hmph! I told him I might be in some high-falutin (sp?) siddity place, but I'm from East Oakland and don't get it twisted, you will be handled! Take one more step...... He went away. Gurl, got my blood pressure all up!!! Anyway, I think you handled yourself just fine!

LOL. This sounds like Tyson's Corner mall to me (2nd floor to be exact).
When I was in there with my friend a few months back, this guy at a Kiosk tried to do that to her so that he could sell her this flat iron. It worked too (I told her not to). He looked at me and the look on my face said, "Don't even try it."

OP you were definitely NOT in the wrong.

Luscious Locks

lol. no. you were not in the wrong or rude. he was. i had the same thing happend to me with some guy who had a fake Israeli accent trying to sell me lotion from the dead sea. he tried to grab my hand and i freaked out and backed away and said no quite loudly.

sillygirl82

You have to be like that with mall people sometimes! I was at a high-end mall in NOVA, making a quick stop and about to go home, and some man LITERALLY RAN after me in the mall with a flat iron!! I had to tell him off in the store. All the ...... white people (there's just no other way to say it) were stopping and staring at me. I was like no you don't come after my hair like that! I know you have lost your everloving mind fool! He told me that I'd be so much prettier if I straightened my hair. Hmph! I told him I might be in some high-falutin (sp?) siddity place, but I'm from East Oakland and don't get it twisted, you will be handled! Take one more step...... He went away. Gurl, got my blood pressure all up!!! Anyway, I think you handled yourself just fine!

Was it Tyson's Corner mall?

Itllbeokbaby

samething happen to me, i got loud, and ugly, and my husband was shocked at my behavior. i have a hair (length) goal to meet; and i was offended at the idea that he assumed my fluffy hair needed straightening. that's a bad sales technique, but i see how it might work on some.

mscocoface

So curly or kinky hair automatically needs to be straighten in order to look prettier?!?!?

Man we got a lot of educating to do about ALL hair being pretty as long as it is healthy, I could say more but I won't.

I have had these people come at me in a few malls, I don't visit malls often now but when I do I am on high alert going past kiosks, the phone guy, hair guy and the hand lotion guy or girl you could get a complex and catch a case with a quickness because of their agressiveness.

You handled it just fine. Some of our LHCF sistahs though....well, let's just say we may have been asking for donations for Mookie's Bail Bonds!:lachen:

ladybug71

I agree those kiosks workers are a trip! Some of them resort to borderline harrassment just to get you to try and buy their product. :rolleyes:

Ronnieaj

You handled it just fine. Some of our LHCF sistahs though....well, let's just say we may have been asking for donations for Mookie's Bail Bonds!:lachen:
*RAISES HAND* Thankfully I'm a lawyer. I've got the bondsman's number on speed dial! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

BrownEyez22

So curly or kinky hair automatically needs to be straighten in order to look prettier?!?!?

Man we got a lot of educating to do about ALL hair being pretty as long as it is healthy, I could say more but I won't.

I have had these people come at me in a few malls, I don't visit malls often now but when I do I am on high alert going past kiosks, the phone guy, hair guy and the hand lotion guy or girl you could get a complex and catch a case with a quickness because of their agressiveness.

Add those "mineral" makeup/eyeshadow ppl to the list too

*Muffin*

No, you aren't rude. The audacity! To attempt to flat iron your hair without even asking you. And who knows how many heads of hair he straightened with that same iron?