Slow growers: 4- 4.5 inches per year

princessnad

My hair grows at a rate of about .35 inches per month. That gives about 4- 4.5 inches per year. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
I have been transitioning for exactly a year so I am able to see the full disaster of it all.

This is so incredibly frustrating and I just don't know what I can do short of topical growth aides to speed this up. I keep a clean scalp and take a multivitamin. I am aneamic so I take an iron supplement. What else can I do? I have taken biotin and MSM for months at a time with no real results.

I mean, I'm always happy and inspired when I see wonderful progress pics but I always feel a little sad knowing that no matter how well I retain, it will always take me twice as long.

Anyone else experiencing this?:perplexed

I hope I'm not just being a brat.

Denise11

Most women only acquire about a half inch of new growth per month, about 6 inches a year. so really you are not growing as slowly as you think.

Neith

I was a slow grower last year.

I got about 5 inches. about .4 inches per month.

Most people wouldn't think that's so bad... but think about it.

Someone with normal growth will have 18 inches after 3 years... I would have 15. That kinda sucks :lol:

I blame my at times HORRIBLE diet for the slow growth... I also was extremely sick with pneumonia September of last year and that did affect my growth for while.

Here's hoping 2009 will be better! I've already lost 5 pounds and I'm making much better choices with food and I'm working out 4x a week :yep:

I think if you improve your internal health, then everything, including your hair will benefit.

Eat well, drink water, have fruits and veggies and lean protein, take vitamins and cross your fingers :)

Even if you are genetically a slow grower doesn't mean you can't have long hair!

If you don't want to use "real" growth aides, try aloe vera gel. It's all natural, good for your hair and scalp and contains mucopolysaccharides. Defeinitely helped me push out a little extra hair this year.

Evolving78

i get 5 inches a year, but i don't have a problem with retaining it and i'm short, with a little head, so it works in my favor. i am going to push for a little more this year though.

blazingthru

my hair grows 1/4 which is actually pretty normal. Only healthy heads grow 1/2 an inch a month or more. so I only really get about 3 inches a year. Its been three years and I am almost near 9 inches, I have growth spurts thats why I am near 9 inches. I have had about 4 trims in three years. Thats not very long I have four months to complete my 3 full years and only hope to get 2 inches but most likely will get one. So I deep condition with essential oils and it works I have been able to see my hair growing more since I started doing that. I stopped measuring a couple of months ago. It was driving me crazy.

Nonie

Will you throw the ruler away and just enjoy your hair? I haven't measured my hair since maybe 2004, because really, what the heck do inches really tell you?

I have always wanted long hair ever since I was a little girl. I did not want X number of inches. I wanted hair that could be put in a ponytail. Of course as I got closer to that, I then wanted not just any ponytail but a big poofy ponytail. In other words, I don't care how many inches that will be, as long as I get my ponytail.

It's the same with my body. I only ever find out my weight at the doctor's even though we own a scale (hubby's idea). Because really it doesn't matter how heavy I am. If I have the body of a dancer and I am svelte, why would a bigger number on the scale than I expected matter? When I see Sylver's body, how much she weighs doesn't even occur to me at all. All I see is one very nice body that complements everything else about her. In other words, her appearance, not her stats, is what makes me stop and stare with envious drool.

I had a BC in Feb of 2007 from shoulder length hair to about 2-3 inches stretched. Come June of 2008 I pressed a section of my hair and to my pleasant surprise my hair was a little past my shoulder. Do I know how many inches I gained? Nope. Did my hair make huge strides? Heck yeah! If I did not have pics or had not been there to witness the horror of Feb 2007, I would not have known that I had a TWA back then. You have to remember, I am the girl that had a TWA through my teens and never imagined having more than neck-length hair. So I am grateful that I have seen it grow a few inches more. But as we all know, once you get a hand, you want an arm, so longer would be even better for me. So yes I yearn for more. Do the inches matter? Not to me. I mean, if I see Dsylla's hair, I don't have to know her length in inches to know she has long hair; nor does it matter what her growth rate is. All I wanna know is what it is she does so well to get hair that long. When push comes to shove, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the mountain top, it just matters that you get there.

You know, we really need to learn to count our blessings. The fact that our hair is growing and that we have any to fuss about is truly a blessing. There are people losing hair or without hair, who cannot even hope of someday perhaps being able to wear a certain style. Weaves or braids are not an option they can escape to to enjoy the fantasy of long hair for a spell. And then there are those with long hair who are a little sad that they can no longer rock that Halle do that worked so well for them, or wear that Rihanna cut or whatever celebrity short do is getting raves at the moment. And even the person who's losing hair or who has none, there are stories of others who have walked in your shoes and come out on the other side with hair, whether it be from healing of the cause of the loss or from transplants; so really it isn't the end of the world. There is a glimmer of hope that you can have hair again. In the meantime though, you have options of rocking any do by way of wigs and the blessing of not having the hassle of tangles etc. When I was dealing with a bald spot, necessity to hide it led me to invent a puff that got the most kudos any do I have ever worn had or has to date. In other words, no matter what your situation, if you stop fretting and try to think of what good there is in it, you will find reasons to be grateful.

I don't use growth aids because I believe my hair will grow as long as I take care of my health. And that I will eventually have long hair as long as I continue to improve my haircare practices so I can retain what I grow. I have noticed that very few people that claim fast growth rates ever have the length to show for it. I know retention plays a part but that only emphasizes my point: WTH then is an awesome growth rate good for if you won't have the 12 inches a year or 24 inches a year that the 1" or 2" per month rate is supposed to give you? That's why I find this obsession w/ rate of growth a bit laughable.

So Princessnad, keep your face to the sun, and you will not see the shadows. Is your hair healthy? Not breaking? Not falling off? Let's toast to that. Have you worn every possible hairstyle you can wear with it at that length? Then get on with that before it grows too long to pull it off. This journey is supposed to be a fun adventure, not a race. And if you pay attention you will begin to notice that the "race" doesn't go to the swiftest (There is always a story of a setback as to why they didn't make those 24 inches in a year). The "race" goes to the one that stays focused and keeps thinking "I can" and never gives up. Slow but sure wins the "race".

Hugs,

Last edited:

hillytmj

Don't worry about the speed of growth. Your hair looks beautiful and healthy.
Healthy hair always looks beautiful, regardless of the length.
Besides, hair has a mind of it's own. It may speed up this year. :)

locabouthair

Princessnad, I love your hair. It's so thick.

My hair grows slower than yours. I get 3 inches a year. Yep 3 inches..

Like Nieth said, I think my poor diet is to blame. Like she said eat well, drink lots of H20, get enough rest, exercise/maybe scalp massage, and hope for the best. Outside of those things, there isn't much you can do.

cicilypayne

my hair grows 1/4 which is actually pretty normal. Only healthy heads grow 1/2 an inch a month or more. so I only really get about 3 inches a year. Its been three years and I am almost near 9 inches, I have growth spurts thats why I am near 9 inches. I have had about 4 trims in three years. Thats not very long I have four months to complete my 3 full years and only hope to get 2 inches but most likely will get one. So I deep condition with essential oils and it works I have been able to see my hair growing more since I started doing that. I stopped measuring a couple of months ago. It was driving me crazy.

What EO are you using Trudy I could use a littler help here.:drunk:

Dposh167

well im in ur boat too. Im about to be 3 months post and i only have 1 inch of ng. and i cant even say its a whole inch yet. Ive just learned to deal with it. i dont get frustrated...but i know retaining my growth is even more important. 1 lil trim can take away a whole 1.5 months worth of growth.

Lucky's Mom

Will you throw the ruler away and just enjoy your hair? I haven't measured my hair since maybe 2004, because really, what the heck do inches really tell you?

I have always wanted long hair ever since I was a little girl. I did not want X number of inches. I wanted hair that could be put in a ponytail. Of course as I got closer to that, I then wanted not just any ponytail but a big poofy ponytail. In other words, I don't care how many inches that will be, as long as I get my ponytail.

It's the same with my body. I only ever find out my weight at the doctor's even though we own a scale (hubby's idea). Because really it doesn't matter how heavy I am. If I have the body of a dancer and I am svelte, why would a bigger number on the scale than I expected matter? When I see Sylver's body, how much she weighs doesn't even occur to me at all. All I see is one very nice body that complements everything else about her. In other words, her appearance, not her stats, is what makes me stop and stare with envious drool.

I had a BC in Feb of 2007 from shoulder length hair to about 2-3 inches stretched. Come June of 2008 I pressed a section of my hair and to my pleasant surprise my hair was a little past my shoulder. Do I know how many inches I gained? Nope. Did my hair make huge strides? Heck yeah! If I did not have pics or had not been there to witness the horror of Feb 2007, I would not have known that I had a TWA back then. You have to remember, I am the girl that had a TWA through my teens and never imagined having more than neck-length hair. So I am grateful that I have seen it grow a few inches more. But as we all know, once you get a hand, you want an arm, so longer would be even better for me. So yes I yearn for more. Do the inches matter? Not to me. I mean, if I see Dsylla's hair, I don't have to know her length in inches to know she has long hair; nor does it matter what her growth rate is. All I wanna know is what it is she does so well to get hair that long. When push comes to shove, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the mountain top, it just matters that you get there.

You know, we really need to learn to count our blessings. The fact that our hair is growing and that we have any to fuss about is truly a blessing. There are people losing hair or without hair, who cannot even hope of someday perhaps being able to wear a certain style. Weaves or braids are not an option they can escape to to enjoy the fantasy of long hair for a spell. And then there are those with long hair who are a little sad that they can no longer rock that Halle do that worked so well for them, or wear that Rihanna cut or whatever celebrity short do is getting raves at the moment. And even the person who's losing hair or who has none, there are stories of others who have walked in your shoes and come out on the other side with hair, whether it be from healing of the cause of the loss or from transplants; so really it isn't the end of the world. There is a glimmer of hope that you can have hair again. In the meantime though, you have options of rocking any do by way of wigs and the blessing of not having the hassle of tangles etc. When I was dealing with a bald spot, necessity to hide it led me to invent a puff that got the most kudos any do I have ever worn had or has to date. In other words, no matter what your situation, if you stop fretting and try to think of what good there is in it, you will find reasons to be grateful.

I don't use growth aids because I believe my hair will grow as long as I take care of my health. And that I will eventually have long hair as long as I continue to improve my haircare practices so I can retain what I grow. I have noticed that very few people that claim fast growth rates ever have the length to show for it. I know retention plays a part but that only emphasizes my point: WTH then is an awesome growth rate good for if you won't have the 12 inches a year or 24 inches a year that the 1" or 2" per month rate is supposed to give you? That's why I find this obsession w/ rate of growth a bit laughable.

So Princessnad, keep your face to the sun, and you will not see the shadows. Is your hair healthy? Not breaking? Not falling off? Let's toast to that. Have you worn every possible hairstyle you can wear with it at that length? Then get on with that before it grows too long to pull it off. This journey is supposed to be a fun adventure, not a race. And if you pay attention you will begin to notice that the "race" doesn't go to the swiftest (There is always a story of a setback as to why they didn't make those 24 inches in a year). The "race" goes to the one that stays focused and keeps thinking "I can" and never gives up. Slow but sure wins the "race".

Hugs,

AMEN.....
From 2006 to 2007 - I did not see any dramatic change...But from 2007 to 2008 - :thud:

So - Don't even focus on that. I have NO IDEA my hair had grown that much.

Good luck to you ---- and back away from the Ruler....:yep:

loolalooh

My hair grows slow too. I've tried many topical and internal growth aids but I've now accepted my hair as is.

The best advice I can give: retain what you grow.

Some people may grow 6-7 inches in a year but only retain 3.5 inches. If I retain ALL my 4.5 to 5 inches a year, that'll be sweet!

msa

Are you going to maintain a blunt cut?

The reason I ask is because hair grows in uneven...each strand has it's own growing/resting phases and because they're on different parts of the head they appear different lengths. So if you try to keep blunt ends you'll be trimming off all of your progress.

After you've done all the internal things, externally you have to worry about retention. If you want long hair and a blunt cut, then you have to accept it is going to take you longer to get where you want to go.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
My hair grows slow too. I've tried many topical and internal growth aids but I've now accepted my hair as is.

Some people may grow 6-7 inches in a year but only retain 3.5 inches. If I retain ALL my 4.5 to 5 inches a year, that'll be sweet!

Yes, I would say that retention is probably even more important than growth rate. My hair grows around the standard 6in/year, but I got a twa in 2003, and my hair is only just now approaching APL (6 years!)--and that's only becuase only with LHCF did I start retaining what I was growing. So, if you can keep those 4 inches, you'll be in a great position to have long hair down the line.

Another story on retention. I have a friend, who is white, who I always assumed grew hair really fast, because in the time that I've known her (about 6 years), she's donated to locks of love twice, after growing her hair to MBL/WL length. But this past weekend she told me that it takes her about 3 years to be able to grow her hair long enough to donate, since it grows about 4 inches a year. I was like, really? 4 inches? My hair grows faster than that! But she's holding onto every inch of it, so the rate isn't as important.

The same with another friend of mine (also white) who had a really short boycut about the same time I did, and is only now around MBL, without having cut it all that much. She had trims, and maybe cut an inch or two there, but still, it's growing on the slow side of things--she's just holding onto it.

~*Tigget*~

NONIE...I am printing this off. So inspirational...it must be a time for me to receive this message, cause the words jumped out at me. Thank you.

Hugs,

HoneyDew

Not everyone grows 1/2 inch per month. I am not sure why we put so much weight on that growth rate.

I mean 1/2 inch of new hair every month is a lot of hair to gain.

Not everyone sees that. Epecially with our diets and lifestyles.

I would be afraid of using growth aids to try to speed up the process that your body is doing pretty well with on its on.

I am all for growth aids to help with scalp problems and hair loss, but if you are getting steady healthy growth, I would try to do everything to retain, as others have mentioned.

SmartyPants

My hair grows at a rate of about .35 inches per month. That gives about 4- 4.5 inches per year. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
I have been transitioning for exactly a year so I am able to see the full disaster of it all.

This is so incredibly frustrating and I just don't know what I can do short of topical growth aides to speed this up. I keep a clean scalp and take a multivitamin. I am aneamic so I take an iron supplement. What else can I do? I have taken biotin and MSM for months at a time with no real results.

I mean, I'm always happy and inspired when I see wonderful progress pics but I always feel a little sad knowing that no matter how well I retain, it will always take me twice as long.

This is me when I don't use growth aids which is why I'll be using growth aids until I get to my goal length.

Nonie

Are you going to maintain a blunt cut?

The reason I ask is because hair grows in uneven...each strand has it's own growing/resting phases and because they're on different parts of the head they appear different lengths. So if you try to keep blunt ends you'll be trimming off all of your progress.

After you've done all the internal things, externally you have to worry about retention. If you want long hair and a blunt cut, then you have to accept it is going to take you longer to get where you want to go.

Hey, Msa, you know you say something interesting. I am not agreeing or disputing, but I just find it interesting how different it is from George Michael's theory, yet it doesn't seem wrong either:

The famous hair stylist George Michael (now deceased) of New York City developed successful methods to grow out very long lengths of hair in women and eventually owned 2,000 salons dedicated to long hair. Women are often told that after they reach thirty that hair should be no longer than shoulder length. Michael felt long hair was majestic on a mature woman, did much to downplay wrinkles, made them look younger immediately. Dr. Michael has found that it is important for growing the longest, healthiest hair possible is to have hair that's all one length - without bangs or fringes. He says that the body will try to equalize uneven hair by excessively shedding hair. He says that "The longer the hair, the stronger the root," and this results in healthier hair.

Longer Hair Reduces Shedding - Studies by Dr. George Michael
Hair Length in Inches
Average Number of Hairs Lost Per Day​
87​
26​
Waist Length
16​
Floor Length
2​

One of his secrets was the use of acid conditioners and acid pre-treatment products used before swimming in chlorinated pools or salt water or exposing the hair to sunlight. This kept the hair proteins very tightly bound together. He used hair dryers set only about 10° F higher than body temperature. Common blow dryers reach temperatures of up to 260°F. Water boils at 212°F. This high heat can damage hair follicles. Large rollers of soft mesh or plastic were used for drying the hair. Velcro rollers were not used because they can tear the hair. Special care was taken to protect the ends of the hair when rolling or setting.

Hair cutting was done as one-length style using a straight blunt cut. Michael felt that when hair was cut in layers, the body automatically tried to even out the hair which created extra fallout. Shampoos were kept to a minimum. Vitamin and mineral supplements were recommended. He recommended covering hair at all times when exposed to direct sunlight....

(Source: Dr Pickart's Website Skin Biology)

How ironic that this came up Princess. I was annoyed with my growth rate before the year ended. However, I promised that I would go into 09 with a new attitude. So to not pay attention to my hair, I am RIGHT NOW putting in braids so I won't have hands in hair.

Nonie - as usual, right on time. It's funny you mentioned Sylver's physique because I weight more then her by a whopping 3 pounds but yet seeing her pictures she looks much bigger (and in my eyes better) then me.

It's all about personal perspective and I'm changing mines. I have to start seeing what God sees and that includes my beautiful head of slow growing hair :yep:

RegaLady

Hugs,
This was very inspirational! I think I will be one of those that when I get longer hair I will be saddened by this:ohwell:.
I also grow 1/4 a month and was deeply disappointed with my growth rate last year. It was like nada:nono:. I literally find myself obsessing over a couple of centimeters. And it doesn't help that dh just started his journey in August and has more growth than me He achieved 2.5 inches in 5 months.:(I can only do my best and hope that this year will be a good year for me.

Last edited:

blazingthru

What EO are you using Trudy I could use a littler help here.:drunk:
Rosemary, pepppermint and I add sage from time to time. coconut oil and avocado oil to my deep conditioner mix. I got this from Traycee but I tweek it a little. ( I actually hate it, but it really works.) some like that cool breeze feeling in their head I do not.

crazydaze911

Princessnad, I love your hair. It's so thick.

My hair grows slower than yours. I get 3 inches a year. Yep 3 inches..

Like Nieth said, I think my poor diet is to blame. Like she said eat well, drink lots of H20, get enough rest, exercise/maybe scalp massage, and hope for the best. Outside of those things, there isn't much you can do.

this is me. and i agree with the advice. too bad a have a red meat and chocolate obsession :nono:

that_1_grrrl

Hugs,

I really agree with this. That may be because I've never known how to measure my hair, and I can't really tell you the difference from an inch or a half inch. I don't get how people can tell you how long their hair grows a month. All that confuses me.

Now, I know people may look at me cross-eyed because I started the 12 in 12 challenge, but for me personally, it's more about the physical results I see:

-I know for one that the first year after my BC, my hair pretty much shot out my head.
-I also know the second year, it went more slowly.
-I know that I haven't always been taking care of my hair as well as I should, so it could have contributed to it.

So, for this year, my goal is to increase the health of my, so it grows as much as it can, and I can retain it all.

That's all you should be concerned with. If your hair is healthy and growing and retaining at a consistent rate, then you're good. My problem was that I wasn't retaining at a consistent rate, so I probably lost a lot of progress.

Mystic

I totally understand where you are coming from because while so many seem to get the average 6", I get anywhere from 3.5 -4" annually. Add to that trimming, etc....., :ohwell:.

I had to come to terms with what is, and work with what I've got. I have done the protein, the vitamins, exercise, the scalp concoctions that so many women rave about (the list goes on and on), and in the end, the growth remains the same overall, lol. I am already someone who is an healthy eater, and I do my normal daily exercise routine - I can't thing of anything else I need to change in order to get this average6" so I now focus on what I have achieved - my hair IS growing, and what I intend to do to keep it healthy and strong. It might be slower than the average rate, but it will eventually get to my ultimate length and that is all I care about. No more stressing:yep:.

Last edited:

ShaniKeys

Slow grower checkin' in:wave: I know exactly how you feel OP. I personally don't even post pics in the progress threads, I don't want to discourage any naturals:sad:. I think it's due to my unhealthy flaky scalp, I'm thinking about seeing a trichologist about it. I want LENGTH&STRENGTH this year:afro: I was on a personal 12 inches in 12 months challenge and failed big time:sad: so sad. But I'm not giving up...

***thanks for starting this thread OP, it's a great place to vent***

rsmith

Thats good advice: retain what you grow