SLOW GROWERS - ARE WE UP FOR A CHALLENGE?

Faith

Hey All,

I happened upon a thread about 12" in 1 year and I didn't even finish reading it. I know it's 1000% unattainable for me.
Any slow growers out there? Ladies getting less than 6" a year and that is before a cut? I'm happy when I get 4" a year (and that is before a trim) :lol:

How about doing something about it? I know it's frustrating as he!! (for me anyways) reading about the 6+" a year and the growth from this and that and you think wth is up with my hair. I'm not 100% sure what will give us get a jump start...maybe nothing will but I want to give it a shot...

What I'm thinking (for myself):
1. wash or rinse 2x/week.
2. Take my sea kelp pills (2/day..as often as possible)
3. Use MT mixed with MGT
4. Moisturize daily (have to work on this)
5. Protect ends as much as possible to save all we get.

Anybody care to add anything to it. We can add to the list. I'm just thinking there has to be something we can do, right? I have tried MN, MGT, gro aut and MT and nothing has really given me at least .5" a month. The only possibility was the sea kelp I was taking...looks like it bumped me to .40"/month not much I know but compared to .25-.33"/month it was lovely :look: So why not us?? Right? Right? Maybe I need to use all at once itnstead of trying one at a time.

Who's up for a challenge? Check in 1x/month? Next check in will be July 10th.
Post starting length and what you plan on doing/taking for the upcoming month.

:)

ETA Participants:
1. Faith
2. Locabouthair
3. ebzonix
4. VWVixxen
5. tiffers
6. pattycake
7. Guapa
8. Selfstyled
9. Coolata
10. Loolalooh
11. 5+5
12. 580girl
13. missconstrue

Last edited:

locabouthair

Hey girl, I though I was the only that didn't get 1/2 inch per month.

I joined the "12 inches in one year" challenge even though my hair grows slow. I believe it's due to my diet/lifestyle.

This is what I've been doing so far to increase my growth rate:
Massage my scalp with essential oil mix every night
get at least 7 hours of sleep, 8-9 would be better
drink at least 64 oz of water everyday
have at least 4 servings of fruits and veggies
have quality protein with every meal
take my iron supplement (im anemic)

In the past I'd eat tons of junk food, very little water, no fruits or veggies and then wonder why my hair wasn't growing. Im just like you, I barely get 3 inches a year and thats before trimming.
Hair growth starts from within.:yep:

I do think I've been getting a little more growth than usual from the scalp massages though.

If I got 6 inches this year, I'd be estatic. Anything more than that will have me doing cartwheels :lol:

You say you have slow growth but from your pics, you're doing a good job of retaining it. :)

Faith

I guess you and I are the only slow growers on this board. :lol:
Ok, lets do our thing.
Stick with the plan you listed and we'll check in in a week or two to make sure we're keeping with it. If I find something that's working I'll let you know and you do the same. I think I'm going to have to go check our my iron levels...that may be a factor I have never looked into. We can keep shaking things up until something works. :)

ebzonix

I really like this idea of a slow growers thread. Have any of you lades tried the Bee Mine or Boundless Tresses with their sulfur mix? I'm not too sure about the products, but some of the ladies from this site are the creaters of these products.

LaNecia

Nope, you're not the only slow growers on here. I average about 1/4" per month, if I'm super dilligent with growth aids I can squeeze out almost 1/2" but have never gotten more than that.

My regimen consists of:

1) Daily Application of MegaTek, Emu Oil & EO Combo
2) CO Washing 3 times a week
3) Henna treatment every other week (using Bhrami, Bhringraj, Amla and Shikakai Powders in an herbal tea base (horsetail, rosemary, stinging nettles & hibiscus))
4)Protective styling 100% of the time

My diet and exercise regimens are very solid so that's not a factor to change. I'm also adding 5 minutes of nightly scalp massage. Maybe the DH can do that for me? :)

Last edited:

Faith

ebzonix: I have seen the BT threads...I haven't seen many posts saying it works. have you tried it? And what is Bee Mine? I haven't heard of it.

Vixxen: Pray tell! How did you squeeze out .5"/month? I'll take that. Is it from doing the regimen you listed? Like you my diet is very good (I work out 5-6x/week, drink lots, eat lots of veggies, etc.) so I am wondering if I need more iron maybe? Both my mom and sis have telacemia(sp?) but I have never gotten checked out for that. Or maybe I haven't found the right topical combination. My topical spray since I'm either in braids or cornrows is going to consist of (MT, MGT, castor oil, gro aut, MSN, biotin, and water).

FYI ladies, sea kelp did bump me from .25 -.33"/month to .40/month. I was taking it for other reasons but found my hair picked up a bit. I was taking less than was recommended. Maybe I should take the recommended dosage and that will kick it up to .5"....hmmm. Stay tuned... :)

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
My hair grows super duper slow. I consider it a success if I get an inch in a year.... Okay, okay, it doesn't grow THAT slow :rofl: With vitamins and growth aids, I'll be LUCKY to get 1/2 inch a month! My plan is

-Exersize at least 5 times a week
-Drink plenty of water
-Take vitamins (gotta go to the health store)
-Use Bee Mine serum daily
-Co wash 5 times a week and dc twice a week
-Keep my hair wet and bunned up. When I DO wear it down, I'll either rollerset or do a braidout or bantu knot set. No direct heat for a while

I remember when I co washed daily for like 6 mos. I had read a thread where everyone was saying that their hair was growing like weeds from co washing more frequently. I was like ''Really? :perplexed Cause mine has hardly grown at all!'' :lachen:

I didn't even know frequent washing sped up growth, cause I sure didn't notice a difference! :lol:

LaNecia

Vixxen: Pray tell! How did you squeeze out .5"/month? I'll take that. Is it from doing the regimen you listed? Like you my diet is very good (I work out 5-6x/week, drink lots, eat lots of veggies, etc.) so I am wondering if I need more iron maybe? Both my mom and sis have telacemia(sp?) but I have never gotten checked out for that. Or maybe I haven't found the right topical combination. My topical spray since I'm either in braids or cornrows is going to consist of (MT, MGT, castor oil, gro aut, MSN, biotin, and water).

Hi Faith! What worked for me when I first found henna was using the henna combo I mentioned, doing treatments almost weekly and relaxing only every 10-12 weeks. Seems like the first few weeks after a retouch my hair just CREEPS along, as if my scalp is in shock and rebellling against growth. :ohwell: Am I the only one this happens to? Usually after around week 5 or 6 is seems to pick up the pace so I notice more growth faster then with this regimen. But, when my hair is relaxed straight, I can't stretch that long due to the demarcation line factor. Now that I'm texturized, I'm planning on stretching for AT LEAST 12 WEEKS, MORE LIKE 16. Also, for length retention I do not use a brush or comb in my hair except once a week and this has helped my hairline start fill in (which I thought was NEVER going to happen).

In short, this is the same regimen I used before (2005/2006) except of using the Mega-Tek as a conditioner, I'm using it as a leave-in treatment on my scalp.

I've taken Viviscal, and tons of other vitamins and while it helped my texture not much (save Biotin and MSM) really helped with the growth.

Vixx

pattycake0701

Another slow grower chiming in:yep: I have no idea how fast my hair grows since I'm natural and don't have a way to measure new growth. I think I'm gonna make one of those growth shirts and start checking....nah:nono: probably not...too lazy to check progress (siggy picture from this time LAST YEAR).

I am in the 12 inches in one year challenge and I'm pretty optimistic that my goal will be met. I plan on getting there by eating a high raw diet, drinking green smoothies daily, putting my sulfur oil on my scalp and massaging it in, and making sure that my hair stays moisturized and strong:yep:

ebzonix

ebzonix: I have seen the BT threads...I haven't seen many posts saying it works. have you tried it? And what is Bee Mine? I haven't heard of it.

Bee Mine is a new product that it in a way similar to BT. I haven't tried any of them yet, but it's said that Bee Mine is just as good as BT, but BT is a lot more popular.

Guapa1

Another slow grower checking in here! I take msm and it's making a difference to my skin, haven't seen it in my hair yet though.

I'm on my own little cornrow challenge. I've noticed that in cornrows I get little tangling and maximum growth. It also stays moisturised.

I'll wash my hair once a week in cornrows, wear the cornrows for up to 3 weeks, take down and redo. Simple, I'm fed up of doing things with fiftyleven steps. :lachen:

I am upping my fruit and veg too. At the moment I'm eating fruit and veg in the day and a good meal in the evening.

SelfStyled

I am the SLOWEST GROWER in America.
I get about 1/4" a month, I think the meds that I take for Chrohn's Disease play a part in my slow growth- that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I would love to join:yep:.

My Reggie is:

Cardio every other day for at least 30 min.

Co washing every other day, with VO5 or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Then I put some DC on while I am in the shower. I use poo once a week and DC with heat once a week.

After the Cowash, I apply Ovation Cell Therapy on my scalp only, put on Cantu Repair Creme( my new love). I then seal in the moisture with Sabino Moisture Block, put on a doo rag, and get under my bonnet dryer for 30 min on low.

At this point my hair is a little damp still- but I am good to go. I take flaxseed FAITHFULLY everday- cause It has increased my boobage:look:- and me likek very much! I have been slipping so nad on the vitamins _ I will kick it up a notch with the vitamins and drinking more water.

Coolata

Slow grower checking in....I started my hair journey when I discovered LHCF. Currently, I am attempting transitioning. My last relaxer was 2/08 (16 weeks). I have been cowashing M-F every other day and slicking hair down with Fantasia IC and Nourish Shine (Jane Carter). I bun with a phony bun. I moisturize with oils nightly and weekends I pre-poo and DC. I have not use any heat in 2 months. Last rollerset was 2 months ago. I was thinking of air drying and flat ironing with my Maxiglide to check for length.

I am down for this challenge because I am no where near shoulder length.

loolalooh

Another slow grower here. I get about 1/3in per month more or less. It's frustrating sometimes, but I try not to pay attention. I just started a personal growth challenge, but might as well join y'all. :grinwink:

No new products; I'm just using products from my PJ-ism days:

1. Biotin (5000mcg)
2. MSM (1500mcg)
3. Sulu Max Gro (mixed with jojoba oil, peppermint oil, & safflower oil)
4. EO rinses after each wash (peppermint & rosemary oil)
5. Frequent washes/co-washes (3x a week)
6. Also counting on summer humidity
7. No combing (just 1x a month)
8. Internal health (vitamins, protein, water, sleep, etc.)

*5+5

Another snail grower here...I get about 1/2inch every six weeks I believe. I'm starting to DC twice a week w/whatever conditioner I have around the house, last night I used Motion CPR. What I've decided to do is up the ante on my vitamins & water intake...I'm taking 2 HSN from GNC daily and 2 HSN/wMSM whole foods brand that include silica, horsetail and carrot powder. I'm doing my best to drink 64 oz. a day. Good luck ladies..

tiffers

Seems like the first few weeks after a retouch my hair just CREEPS along, as if my scalp is in shock and rebellling against growth. :ohwell: Am I the only one this happens to? Usually after around week 5 or 6 is seems to pick up the pace so I notice more growth faster

YESSSS! That's why I don't understand when I see people saying that they just HAVE to relax because they're newgrowth is out of control... At 6 weeks post :perplexed

I guess my mind just can't comprehend it! :lol: 6 weeks is when I'm barely getting a little hump of newgrowth!

Guapa1

OK, so I got my hair cornrowed up for the rest of the month. I'll be washing and using that Moegrowth oil to see how it goes.

Faith

I edited the original msg and added the participants. If I missed you, let me know.

I put in braids on Thursday. I was supposed to get it weaved but there was all this drama at the shop I went to. The Chinese :)look:) woman thought I was stealing...yeah right. So I confronted her about her stalking me all over the place. How can I be stealing when I am there to do my hair. I'm going to be sitting, you can see if I have taken something. UGH! Anyways, I ended up leaving. Went to another place, she had no time. Thought about going to get it blowdried and flatironed but in the end did individual braids in back and two cornrows in front (hairline needs a long rest from braids). It looks great (if I do say so myself) and it was free :) I'll keep it in for 12 weeks. Moisturizing daily (well so far :look:)...my own mix of MT, MGT, lavendar, water, castor oil, gro aut (until I ran out) and conditioner.

tiffers: when I used to relax I would not see any growth until like 10-12 weeks after. All this growth business after 6 weeks is amazing to me :lol:

580girl

:yep: Hey, this sounds perfect for me. I really don't know how fast or slow my hair grows, but for all these years, I've never been able to grow my hair past shoulder length, and I know I wasn't really helping it either, so I'm up for the challenge I'm having some hair growth problems right now anyway.

I think my routine will consist of this
-Drink a gallon of water a day
-Continue to take supplements
-Start on a protein shake
-Wash/con hair every Sat
-C/W in between
-Decided to try mtg w/ essential oils
-Use up bee mine 1st

ResultsMayVary

Count me in!
I am going to be bunning and phony ponying for the rest of the year since this transition is getting hard I'm ready to try something new.

I will ...
  • CoWash 3 times a week
  • Take my hair nail skin vitamins
  • Exercise
  • Baggy my ends
  • Use BT

Hope this works

Last edited:

Faith

Hey ladies...so how is it going??? New job...haven't been around to check in on all of you.
Still doing it or already off the wagon?
I'm still doing it..the pills but it's hard for me to remember to moisturize daily. It seems like such a hassle. I know wrong attitude..lol.

So fill me in....how goes it?

I updated the original link to include:
580girl
missconstrue

:)

LaNecia

Still going/growing strong. In the process of a major move, from Southern California to Spokane Washington this week so I'm making oil blends and things to tide me over until the movers get everything up there. will be a challenge, we're driving up but I'll have my stash on hand...:yep:

HHG!

Vixx

Sui Topi

You guys, I know I'm like the scalp massage spokes person, but I had to post it up in here. Make sure to do it! I do mine at night before bed and it really makes a big difference. If you are using something topical and its working for you, try massaging and it will even add to that. Atleast 5 minutes a day. even if you do a few burst here and there throughout the day if you don't have the patience to sit down and rub for a long time. But don't sleep on it!

Faith

Good luck with the move Vixx.
Scalp massages eh? I don't do them at all but I may have to start. What differences have you seen in your hair by doing them Sui Topi. Are you just rubbing back and forth or in a circular motion?

Any others? Check in ladies.

Rain20

I am a super slow grower. I am really getting tired of worrying about my hair. I currently am weaved up and will be for awhile. Once I reach shoulder length I will stop wearing weaves and I will post a picture for the first time.

1. My plan is to continue OCT on my scalp 3-4 times a week until it runs out. I have mixed it with other growth aides that I have bought previously. If I have good growth I will reorder Megatek since its a bit cheaper.
2. I will start an exercise routine as I have been so busy and tired when I get home that I have skipped exercising for a few months.
3. I will also deep condition with a Keratin containing conditioner mixed with a moisturizing conditioner 2x week.
4. I am taking a very comprehensive liquid (Nature's Way Alive) multi once a day(so I could alleviate several other supplements) and MSM 1000mg daily.
I will check in again in about 4 weeks when I take this weave out. HHG.

Guapa1

I fell off the MSM big time, but am back on again as of from yesterday.

I did my hair a few weeks ago and haven't touched it since. Think I'll take it out and redo this weekend.

tiffers

For some reason, my scalp is revolting against me! It's dry, itchy, and ANY oil I rub into my scalp makes me shed like a dog. Big PALM sized clumps of shed hair. So growth aids are out, and that's a huge bummer :(

Still taking my hair vitamin Nature's Plus Ultra Hair, also taking kelp. I wanna add silica liquid and b-complex to the mix. I also need a good multi. Been going back and forth between Alive! Liquid Multi and Source of Life Liquid Multi :scratchch

Still co washing a dc'ing all the time. Trying to keep as much moisture and retain as much length as possible. Now that I can't use anything on my scalp, this is gonna be a challenge! I'll take Sui's advice and start massaging my scalp :yep:

SelfStyled

Tiffers, please try garlic supplements for the shedding. That one thing alone has DRAMATICALLY reduced my shedding. I take 1 or 2 a day, and saw the differnce within 3 days! I read somewhere that most shedding is due to an internal imbalance- I cannot begin to tell you how the garlic decreases hair shed but it really works:yep:.

I am making progress- I think I am still a slow grower though. I think a summer spurt is helping me, and the MT is definitely doing it's part as well.

And I am finally retaining with the help of the garlic supplements.

ResultsMayVary

I have been seeing some growth .. :grin:

I currently have a partial sew-in as a protective style
I co-wash every other day\I wash w/ a condtioner/baking soda mix once a week
I use an essential oil mix for my edges
I use Via growth serum every night

I'm kind of busy trying to move and all but I plan to take some growth shots some time in September

tiffers

Tiffers, please try garlic supplements for the shedding. That one thing alone has DRAMATICALLY reduced my shedding. I take 1 or 2 a day, and saw the differnce within 3 days! I read somewhere that most shedding is due to an internal imbalance- I cannot begin to tell you how the garlic decreases hair shed but it really works:yep:.

Thank you so much! I never thought to take garlic supplements! Where'd you get yours? What brand do you take? Do they stink? :lol: