Slow growers unite 2014

CharlieEcho

Since the previous thread died a death, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for those with slow growing hair or those who've been on this board a while and are struggling to grow their hair.

Questions;

Hair type

Did you ever have long hair as a child?

How long have you been on your hair journey ?

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ?

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ?

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ?

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it?

CharlieEcho

Questions;
Hair type

4b/4c

No

4 years

Yes, see siggy

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ?

I've been relaxer free for 3 years, but I spent a year understanding my hair before deciding not to relax anymore. I wasted another year from hear damage, so I've achieved two years of healthy natural hair.

Dryness, single strand knots in my current hair journey. In the past it was bad relaxers.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Since the previous thread died a death, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for those with slow growing hair or those who've been on this board a while and are struggling to grow their hair.

Questions;

Hair type 4b

Did you ever have long hair as a child? No. Never passed neck length as a child :(

How long have you been on your hair journey ? 5 years

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? No

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? I started my journey at healthy neck length. Within 6 months I was full shoulder. Another 6 months to apl. 10 months to bsl and about 4 months to mbl. (That was when I was relaxed). Now im natural apl and it took about 2 years. My twa didnt retain any length in the first year. I didnt transition I just cut my hair off when I was 2 months post. Within the first year of being a straight hair natural I went from nl to apl. Im petite so I still hit my milestones within good time. Thank goodness for that :)

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? I eat a lot of processed foods, lots of sodium and sugar. I know I dont drink enough water

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Im working on that now. Om starting to prepare my own meals sincw im a stay at home mom now. I will also be exercising 3x week. I take hairfinity to reduce my postpartum shedding and im getting almost 1/2 inch a month now. Sorry i wrote a book lol

I dyed my hair the end of november so I can accurately measure my growth. It has been 6 weeks and I have just under 1/2 Inch roots

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I am still figuring this out, but I think I have slightly below average growth. I have retained about 5 inches this year and that is with the help of growth aides (mostly MN & sulfur). I'm thinking what if I hadn't been using any growth aides? I am happy about my retention, but I just started taking some dedicated hair vitamins to see if I get a boost. :look:

Did you ever have long hair as a child? No.

How long have you been on your hair journey ? 1.5 years

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? No. probably just a little dry and not so good ends due to not having a clue.

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? I went from grazing APL to BSL in about a year. At the very start of my HHJ (June 2012), I was probably full shoulder.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? So far this past year has been focusing on learning how to properly take care of my hair and retain length. It seems to be working, so no issues.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? I protective style 99% of the time in twists or braids. I believe that has contributed to most of my retention. I believe that the sulfur has definitely given me a boost as well.

CharlieEcho

Glad to hear I'm not alone. Seems like you guys started off with more hair than I ever had. :lachen:
I'm going to try growth aids to see of they help. I've never been consistent with them so I'm going to try again this year.

faithVA

I will hang out with you CharlieEcho. I don't know if I am a slow grower or a poor retainer but in the end, it still chalks up to short hair :ohwell:

Hair type: 4B

Did you ever have long hair as a child? No. I had APL hair when I had a curl :look:

How long have you been on your hair journey ? I would rather not say but a long time.

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Yes

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? I am still in the same spot as when I started.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? My hair is extremely dry and my ends stay brittle. My hair has always been dry when I was a child, pre relaxer, when relaxed and now that I am back to natural. I have yet to find a moisturizing regimen to keep my hair healthy.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Have not managed it.

charmtreese

Slow grower here!

Hair type: 4a,b,c

Did you ever have long hair as a child? No, a little past sl...it might have hit cbl in elementary school.

How long have you been on your hair journey ? Started in 08' w nl damaged relaxed hair and grew it to bsl relaxed hair.

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Yes in deed!

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? I'm on a natural hair journey now and it's taken me about 2 years to get to cbl length from ground zero. As a relaxed head it took me about 3.5 years to get from damaged nl to healthy bsl.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? SSK, split ends

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Going natural has helped with retention, washing bi-weekly instead of weekly, I Baggie my puffs nightly, and lo manipulation.

Ms Lala

Questions;

Hair type: 4a/b

Did you ever have long hair as a child? Kind off, it was a little past SL, my mom was a stylist and took pretty good care of it, I had a curl at one point:ohwell:

How long have you been on your hair journey ? over 10 years, it took me about 5 years to get to WL but several more years for full more even hair. I am in maintenance mode now.

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Yes I had color damage that I had to cut off regularly.

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? about 5 years but I am constantly learning more about my hair and it changes. I went through a big shed and some breakage with pregnancy and various hormonal issues. I am back on track again.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? Anemia at one point. My hair just naturally doesn't grow fast. I average 1/4 inch a month. I can get faster growth if I take my vitamins and exercise regularly.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it?I wanted to encourage you all that you can reach your length goals. I have been through alot of ups and downs on my hair journey. I used to see ladies come on the board do a BC and have WL hair within 3 years and my hair just didn't seem to do that. I found what worked for me. I learned that my hair is actually pretty fragile and needs alot of TLC. I also learned that I have to eat right and take vitamins to get better growth. I don't have hair that naturally grows fast like some people. Also my hair cannot take alot of heat while trying to retain length. I did a lot of deep conditioning and protective styling. I never had hair much past SL when relaxed so I think being natural has helped as well.

Last edited:

CharlieEcho

Thanks for your stories ladies. They are really encouraging . I can't really say being natural has helped since I was only relaxed for a year may 18mo before things went downhill rapidly.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

pearlific1

Hair type: 4b

Not really. I can only remember my hair being SL as a child.

How long have you been on your hair journey
I started as a relaxed head on this board in 2009. I was relaxed for 2 yrs, went natural, now I'm texlaxed

No. I got a really terrible haircut in 2009 and it led me to seek out help for growing my hair out.

2009-mid 2011 I went from SL to BSL. I tracked my hair growth religiously. My hair only grew about 4-4.5"/yr but I was able to retain all of it. I transitioned in late 2011 and became natural in mid 2012. My hair broke like crazy as a natural so I texlaxed in late 2013. My hair is finally starting to retain length.

Being natural was not the best decision for my hair.

Moisturizing and sealing every other day as well as DCing weekly.

Last edited:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Yes this is me :/ and I just cut off about an inch of damaged hair so I'm pretty much starting fresh.

Hair type
4A

yes

yes

I was NL, I am SL but it's been 3 yrs and due to setbacks and damage, still at SL :/
ETA: BC'd 1.27

Protein Overload. Not being able to figure out my Protein/Moisture balance.

n/a

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I noticed that most of us are 4b/c. My theory is that this is the slowest growing hair type. Of course there are exceptions, but we are the norm.

pearlific1

I noticed that most of us are 4b/c. My theory is that this is the slowest growing hair type. Of course there are exceptions, but we are the norm.

I agree. My cousin is a 3c and she can grow her hair from NL to BSL in a year using heat daily on dirty, dried out hair.

I can take vitamins, co wash, moisturize & seal, PS daily, avoid heat, maintain protein/moisture balance, DC and whatever else you can think of and it will still take me 2+ years to reach the same goal. :ohwell:

MzSwift

Whohoo! Another slow grower here! I grow about 4"-4.5" per year. I have spurts every now and then but I tend to grow less than 1/2" (one half) per month.

Hair type:
4 A/B/C

It was past SL but that was considered long in my circle. However, my hair suffered once I took over in middle school and started swimming daily in the summer. I also bugged my mom incessantly for a Just For Me relaxer.

How long have you been on your hair journey?

Since June 2009, 4.5 years

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey?
Nope, but it was a clipper shaved Ceasar cut. I was a clipper/scissor addict and kept my hair at less than 3" for about 15 years.

Where I am now length wise (bottom rib-bone), 4.5 years. However, it only took a year for me to have healthy hair.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth?
Disregarding the regi that got me here.
Now that it's longer, I want to fling it around all of the time. :lachen: I no longer constantly PS but I still M&S and put it up when I get home. I've ditched the wigs and extensions. I'm seeing more SSKs and less retention but I'm still making my hair goals.

I'm grateful that I haven't had too many issues on this HHJ. In this hair game, and in life, I tend to watch others and learn from their mistakes. I've also emulated the long-haired ladies since the beginning. Most of them had simple, low-maintenance, low-manipulation regimens. I coupled that with weekly DCing and daily M&Sing.

Misseyl

Ms Lala

Questions;

Hair type 4 A/B

Did you ever have long hair as a child? No

How long have you been on your hair journey ?Too long - Since Wanekee

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Definitely

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ?Chopped relaxed ends off on 1/6/2014; texlaxing now

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? Bad relaxing techniques, wrong relaxer; don't understand the needs of my hair.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Think I've found the answer - if I'm successful will talk about it more.

greenandchic

Hair type
4a/3c

About ABL to BSL (wasn't wearing a bra, but you get the idea, LOL!)

Its hard to say. I've been really at it since 2010 but hit or miss for years before.

Yes, from permanent hair color, not enough protein, too much 'cones and not enough shampoo (I only cowashed). I also had hair loss from low ferritin. My hair was about APL when I started.

About 2 years

Health - living with two chronic illnesses and mistakes in hair care. Probably genetics too...

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Do yall think stress affects hair growth? I know it affects weight... I have been though a lot for the past year and a half and it has made it harder than ever to lose weight/grow hair. I remember my hair broke off really badly my senior year in HS because I was worried about college :(

Ms Lala

@Ms Lala

Questions;

Hair type 4 A/B

Did you ever have long hair as a child? No

How long have you been on your hair journey ?Too long - Since Wanekee

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Definitely

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ?Chopped relaxed ends off on 1/6/2014; texlaxing now

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? Bad relaxing techniques, wrong relaxer; don't understand the needs of my hair.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Think I've found the answer - if I'm successful will talk about it more.

Have you considered being natural? Is texlaxing working better for you?

BonBon

Good luck ladies. Its nice to see so many that have exeeded their childhood length. :yep:

I think my hair grows the average rate, but I believe I have the type of hair that is susceptible to breakage, so my journey to finding solutions was long.

Im fine 4a.

faithVA

Do yall think stress affects hair growth? I know it affects weight... I have been though a lot for the past year and a half and it has made it harder than ever to lose weight/grow hair. I remember my hair broke off really badly my senior year in HS because I was worried about college :(

I definitely think stress affects both weight and hair. My mom was sick in the beginning of the year and passed this summer. I don't think my hair grew very much if at all from April through September. And I have yet to drop the weight I picked up during the summer.

When I was in college I stayed bald in the back. My hair would grow in well over the summer and by November I would be bald again.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im sorry about your mom. People dont realize how serious stress is. Ive been meditating daily as well as praying for strength to get me through this challenging time.

faithVA

[USER=406999 said:
Prettymetty[/USER];19502081]Im sorry about your mom. People dont realize how serious stress is. Ive been meditating daily as well as praying for strength to get me through this challenging time.

Thank You. Yeah, stress can cause a lot of unseen damage. I have just been getting back in the game slowly and not trying to do too much too quickly.

I think meditating and praying daily are definitely good practices. Do the best you can eating right, exercising, getting out doors, laughing, enjoying friends and family. You will make it through it and be stronger when you do.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I ordered a wig today! It should be here before next weekend. I am going to hide my hair for a couple months. Growth always seems more significant after youve hidden your hair

ronie

Slow grower here. Like faithVA i may also be a poor retainer, mainly beacause i manipulate my hair a lot.
Hair type: 4c. I dont agree with people saying 4c does not exist, and that it is the same as 4b. No ma'm when you see a true 4c, you know it is not a 4b.

Did you ever have long hair as a child? Nope. I hit collarbone length a little after pregnancy. That was the longest my hair has ever been. Then severe post partum shedding took it away.

How long have you been on your hair journey ? exactly 2 years this month.

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Yes. I had severe post partum shedding, so my hair was thinning a lot. I also experience a lot of breakage from detangling matted hair caused by the shedding.

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? 2 years ago i was a SL relaxed, i am now a little past SL natural.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? I over manipulate my hair. I need to leave it a lone more and do more long term PS.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? My regimen is pretty set at the moment. Finding out that my hair is normal to high porosity really helped me choosing products that work for me. I use a lot of protein, and keep my ends double sealed. I also trim every 10-12 weeks to keep split ends away.

I don't use any topical or internal growth aids as i find them to increase my shedding. I do take a regular multi. In the beginning of my journey, i took hairffinity for 7 months religiously. I saw no increased growth, and my shedding was so bad, i ended up BC'ing. I did not intend to go natural, but there was no way i could keep the hair on my head. So i decided to start over, and relax once i am APL. But now that i am closed to APL i am rethinking that, lol. We'll see.

felic1

Thank You. Yeah, stress can cause a lot of unseen damage. I have just been getting back in the game slowly and not trying to do too much too quickly.

I think meditating and praying daily are definitely good practices. Do the best you can eating right, exercising, getting out doors, laughing, enjoying friends and family. You will make it through it and be stronger when you do.

faithVA I am sorry to hear about your mom. I do not remember posting about it. My father died in November. I was really surprised about having an up experience after losing him. God really has been here for me. Be blessed!:yep:

faithVA

Slow grower here. Like faithVA i may also be a poor retainer, mainly beacause i manipulate my hair a lot.
Hair type: 4c. I dont agree with people saying 4c does not exist, and that it is the same as 4b. No ma'm when you see a true 4c, you know it is not a 4b.

Did you ever have long hair as a child? Nope. I hit collarbone length a little after pregnancy. That was the longest my hair has ever been. Then severe post partum shedding took it away.

How long have you been on your hair journey ? exactly 2 years this month.

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Yes. I had severe post partum shedding, so my hair was thinning a lot. I also experience a lot of breakage from detangling matted hair caused by the shedding.

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? 2 years ago i was a SL relaxed, i am now a little past SL natural.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? I over manipulate my hair. I need to leave it a lone more and do more long term PS.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? My regimen is pretty set at the moment. Finding out that my hair is normal to high porosity really helped me choosing products that work for me. I use a lot of protein, and keep my ends double sealed. I also trim every 10-12 weeks to keep split ends away.

I don't use any topical or internal growth aids as i find them to increase my shedding. I do take a regular multi. In the beginning of my journey, i took hairffinity for 7 months religiously. I saw no increased growth, and my shedding was so bad, i ended up BC'ing. I did not intend to go natural, but there was no way i could keep the hair on my head. So i decided to start over, and relax once i am APL. But now that i am closed to APL i am rethinking that, lol. We'll see.

I agree. I believe 4b and 4c are different. I'm 4b and I have seen hair that I know has to be 4c.

faithVA

[USER said:
felic1;19513043[/USER]]faithVA I am sorry to hear about your mom. I do not remember posting about it. My father died in November. I was really surprised about having an up experience after losing him. God really has been here for me. Be blessed!:yep:

Thank you felic1. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Glad you are feeling ok.

I didn't start my grieving process until about 3 to 4 months after my mom pass. It was really rough in October and November. It hit me hard and was uncontrollable. I am hoping I am through the worst of it.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I agree with you about 4c hair. My dd has 4c hair. I feel like I have 4b. I have seen your hair though and it looks like mine...like 4b...maybe I didn't see all of it.

I will be changing up my regimen to see if I grow/retain more. Instead of washing, detangling, and redoing my twists every week, I will keep medium sized braids in for about four weeks. I will still cowash or shampoo them weekly, DC weekly, and moisturize and seal every other day. I hope this helps me with minimal manipulation.

I am also back to oiling my scalp with sulfur oil and now I am taking Priteva to see if that helps with strength and growth. :yep: