How long is your hair faithVA?I will hang out with you CharlieEcho. I don't know if I am a slow grower or a poor retainer but in the end, it still chalks up to short hair
Hair type: 4B
Did you ever have long hair as a child? No. I had APL hair when I had a curl
How long have you been on your hair journey ? I would rather not say but a long time.
Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Yes
How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? I am still in the same spot as when I started.
What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? My hair is extremely dry and my ends stay brittle. My hair has always been dry when I was a child, pre relaxer, when relaxed and now that I am back to natural. I have yet to find a moisturizing regimen to keep my hair healthy.
If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Have not managed it.
Have any of you taken Viviscal? I started last month and decided to go ahead and do an Amazon subscription for them for a few months. I also started moisturizing my hair every day with distilled water and aloe vera juice + whatever moisturizing product I'm using at the time and have noticed a HUGE difference in the appearance of my hair. My twists are actually plump and shiny. I'm hoping this will curb breakage and up retention. Working out speeds up my metabloism so I'm going to do my best to keep it up. Like many of you, I'm lucky if I retain an inch or two a year. However, I have noticed my hair getting fuller, so maybe that's a plus.
What's your current length? @Smiley79As we go into 2016, I'm still holding my championship title as a slow grower.
Why wait? Does the sulfur dry ypu out or increase breakage? Im always for keeping the growth rate faster than break rate by any meansnecessaryI haven't had the time or energy to give my hair the tlc it needs. I haven't been washing or moisturizing as often as I should and as a result I've had some breakage.
I have been very consistent with my vitamins and inversions though. Once I get my breakage under control I can start using sulfur oil again.
CongratulationsSo my nape made 12" I really can't believe it. I want another 1/4" for it to be really true. I will keep doing what I've been doing. My new goal is now 13" by August. I think that I will try to do some long term protective styling this summer and fall to get my to the 13" Not sure what I will do yet. Possibly do some twists in my own hair w/just a little added hair....not sure....
If you start the thread people will follow.We need a slow growers unite 2016. Having fine type 4b hair that grows at a snails pace is a struggle, but the key is retention. I have tried just about ever topical growth accelerator and nothing seems to make my hair grow any faster. However, I’m still slowly growing. I’ve been doing the following to help retain all of my slow but steady growth and it seems to be helping:
1. Low Manipulation – I keep my small/medium twist in for about 2 weeks and I only wash once every 2 weeks. If I take my twist down a few days early, I wear twist outs and pineapple at night (NO retwisting!!)
2. Protein – Since I’m a slow grower with fine hair I use a protein treatment or a reconstructor with every wash.
3. Scalp sprays – I use products dedicated to scalp health daily.
4. Shampoo – to keep from clogging hair follicles, I use shampoo with every wash. I alternate shampoos and do not mind sulfates, a clean scalp to me is very important when it comes to hair growth and health, and since I always DC with heat I can get the moisture back. But I can’t risk having clogged hair follicles.
5. Hair Vitamins – I faithfully take my Phyto vitamins and iron pills. I may switch up my other supplements, but NEVER my hair and iron supplements.
6. Hair oiling – oiling my hair just works for me. So, during the week I use different oils on my ends and scalp. Penetrating oils help condition my hair while my heavier oils help seal and decrease knots on the ends of my hair.
7. Products specifically for split ends – I use products specifically geared towards eliminating and preventing split ends. I have found using products such as this on the ends of my hair a few nights a week keeps them from knotting and splitting.
8. Baggie/protect hair at night – I use a plastic bag nightly on my hair. I do not cover my hair line with the plastic cap, I scarf the edges, and then tie wrap it all up in a silk scarf or bonnet. For me the plastic cap keeps my product from being sucked up by the scarf and pillow case. Also, it keeps my hair from drying out. Because I baggie, I rarely have to use moisturizers. Just oil and or serums.
9. Search and Destroy – Anytime I do happen to find a SSK or fairy knot I cut it. Anytime I see a split, I cut it. However, I only trim my hair twice a year.
10. Finger detangling – Duh, everyone knows what this is and why it’s useful.
11. Consistency – I may change up my products, but I NEVER change up my techniques. I stay very consistent with my regimen. I prepoo with coconut oil only, wash with shampoo or shampoo bar, protein treatment, DC, LOCG, and twist.
Again, my growth is not astronomically, but it’s consistent with its slow self!!!