Slow Growers Unite!!

pringe

This is a thread for us slow growers to keep motivated. We get discouraged and feel like what are we doing wrong when we look at other's posts at how they went from bc to armpit in like a year and meanwhile we've been trying to do that for 3 lol.

Just a place for us to share our feelings and fears and continue to be motivated. We need to know that there are others out there JUST LIKE US, ok well maybe I just need to know!!

Anyone else here with me? Wanna share ur tips and regimens for ur hair???

chasturner84

Definitely not alone! Slow grower reppin in this piece :lachen:

I'm gonna start taking supplements to see if they help me achieve my APL goal by Dec.

MonaRae

Hey Family!

Slow grower here but what made my situation worst b/c I was not retaining anything and nothing I did was helping. Things are better now and I'm hoping my next texlax will prove this.

I'm currenly 18 weeks post and hope to go a full 26 weeks. I plan to texlax only 2 times this year. Last year I texlaxed 4 times. I'm doing this for better, stronger hair! :yep:

chasturner84

For years I thought I was a slow grower when really I was anemic. Just a thought...

That's really interesting. I know I'm borderline and my Dr. told me to take a multi for it but I can hardly remember to. I've never been good with taking pills. :rolleyes:

RosesBlack

I will rep for slow growers! This year I am all about retention. Now that my hair is healthy and growing steadily I have got to retain more.

chasturner84

Reggie: 1 week after relaxer, I shampoo my hair with Aubrey Organics GPB (1st lather, protein) and then with Aubrey Organics (Island Naturals, moisture). I use ApHogee 2 min reconstructor (each shampoo session) then DC with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner with heat for 30-45 min. I finish by adding my leave ins and sealing with oil. I alternate protein and moisture until my hair tells me I need to use one more than the other.
I co wash every Wed or when I I need an extra moisture boost.
Other Shampoos: VO5 Tea Tree Therapy for Clarifying (once/month)
Leave ins: for all washes: Rusk Senories Smoother, Sally's GVP knock off of Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner; Infusium 23 (protein) when needed
Rinse Out Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals (staple)--Great detangler! When I have a ton of new growth, I co wash my hair with this and detangling is a breeze. Aussie Moist (just bought and used today for CW and I :love: it. New staple)
Oils: Wild Growth Hair Oil (staple); EVOO (hot oil treatments)
Daily Moisturizers: Scurl No Drip (staple); Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Lotion
Other products: ApHogee 2-step Protein Treatment (Hardcore protein; every 6-8 weeks); Chi Silk Infusion for flat ironing (which I never do anymore); Unrefined shea butter for sealing--only when I'm several weeks post.

Smiley79

The Slow Grower President has entered the building....thanks for this thread. Let's keep this one alive...the support will definitely be appreciated. My hair grows slower than mollases; I'm used to it now and just focus on the health of the hair but sometimes i just wish my scalp would just spit out my hair and get it over with! LOL

softblackcotton

I don't think anyone is really a slow grower. Sometimes there must be a missing necessity or few of our haircare that may be the key to fastest growth. I know mine is a combo dryness, stress, poor diet, rough manipulation, and not washing or dcing enough.

chasturner84

The Slow Grower President has entered the building....thanks for this thread. Let's keep this one alive...the support will definitely be appreciated. My hair grows slower than mollases; I'm used to it now and just focus on the health of the hair but sometimes i just wish my scalp would just spit out my hair and get it over with! LOL

Do you take any vitamins or use any topical growth aids?

destine2grow

I am a slow grower! I am also anemic. I am transitioning and my hair is breaking. It might be because I haven't been taking my iron pills like I should. So I am off to take my pills, Lord knows I don't want to have another blood transfusion!

Sade'

Hey! SG'er in the building! I get to SL in the back and NL in the front and the my hair screeches to a halt!!! :wallbash: I am trying my best. Really debating on a full weave. I just don't know...

Figuring out a new reggie...

KnitChick

OK so I would like to know what to consider "slow growing" I am transitioning and @ 2 inches of new growth and it has been about 4 1/2 months. I think its slow but I might be impatient :rolleyes: :grin:

Am I Slow or Normal? :ohwell:

AvaSpeaks

OK so I would like to know what to consider "slow growing" I am transitioning and @ 2 inches of new growth and it has been about 4 1/2 months. I think its slow but I might be impatient :rolleyes: :grin:

Am I Slow or Normal? :ohwell:

I think it's for people who are still pretty much around the same length they have been since they got here, keeping in mind that they have been incorporating what they have learned here.

Like if someone has been NL all their life and then get here and they get maybe to the collarbone but it seem like it took like 2 years to do that OR that's as far as they gotten :nono:

That's slow growth!

AvaSpeaks

And if Anemia is a possible hinderence to longer hair, then I must have been anemic since I was 5 years old because my hair has pretty much never been longer than the bottom of my Neck, so :huh:

I'm anemic too. But I thought that anemia was something that you develop so if it is, then what is the reasoning for our slow growth as younger girls?

We are just a bunch of slow growers :club:

chasturner84

And if Anemia is a possible hinderence to longer hair, then I must have been anemic since I was 5 years old because my hair has pretty much never been longer than the bottom of my Neck, so :huh:

I'm anemic too. But I thought that anemia was something that you develop so if it is, then what is the reasoning for our slow growth as younger girls?

We are just a bunch of slow growers :club:

Your hair will not grow if your body is lacking iron among other vitamins/minerals: Iron-deficiency anemia.

destine2grow

Even though I am anemic, I have not been anemic all of my life. When I was younger my hair grew fast. Although I am anemic me hair grows but it breaks. So I always go backwards but all of the breakage is not due to anemia. Some is due to stress, poor diet and just neglecting my hair.

ShantWhite

For years I thought I was a slow grower when really I was anemic. Just a thought...

That's it! Anemic + mollases = low iron

When I was young my mom used to give me molasses because the doctor said I was anemic. Later on I was prescribed Ferrous Sulfate for this... But I haven't taken anything in years. However, I wonder why I'm not retaining my hair that I know is growing!! I'm certainly still anemic because I'm always cold, but I never put 2 & 2 together for the old remedy my mom administered and thought it might have an affect on my hair! Thanks ladies :grin:

RENIBELL

hey ladies, another slow grower in the house who is also aneamic, started taking vits, dont know if its helped my growth thouh, but it helps the aneamia. i only get about 4-5 inches a year. more in the summer, less in the winter. :ohwell:, started eating more greens and i think this got me to Apl. there is hope. i also started seriously bunning 24/7 to preserve more hair

AvaSpeaks

Even though I am anemic, I have not been anemic all of my life. When I was younger my hair grew fast. Although I am anemic me hair grows but it breaks. So I always go backwards but all of the breakage is not due to anemia. Some is due to stress, poor diet and just neglecting my hair.

yes, that's why I said then if that's the case, then I have been anemic since I was 5 years old. Because my hair has never been longer than the bottom of my neck :nono:

I don't know, seems like I can grow hair, but can't retail. Maybe I'm on the wrong list!

teysmith

How do we know if we are really a slow grower or not?

I'm still kind of new at this haircare thing. I've been at it since July 09 and I havent yet to see a sanigficant difference in the length of my hair. but at the same time I think i get a pretty good amount of newgrowth..with the help of MN ofcourse.. I dont know if I'm a slow grower or just having a bad time with retention...but one thing I do know and that is that I'm definately not a fast grower what so ever!!!:nono:

sorry I quoted you by mistake smiley...lol

Last edited:

RENIBELL

I think for slow growers it is very important to try and retain as much as possible. thats what i'm trying to do.i have seen progress just not as much as i woould like:ohwell:

chasturner84

^^^ so true. I have slow but steady growth and I protective style Mon-Sat. I wear my hair down for church on Sun and as soon as I get home it goes back up in a bun. I'm trying to retain as much as I can because it takes like a year to grow around 3-4 inches :lachen::rolleyes::look: