Slow Growers Unite

Misseyl

I've been on a hair journey since Wanakee introduced her hair products and decades later, I'm here feeling disappointed that I've never reach my goal of bra strap hair. I'm almost five years natural and my hair isn't growing as fast as I thought it should be. I journal my journey and I predicted that my hair should be collar-bone by year five, instead, I'm stuck at, the best, neck length. I've done everything possible to retain hair length, deep condition under steamer, use the LOC method, handle my hair only when damp etc. The only thing I can think of is maybe I handle my hair too much. I install bantu knots every week so that I can wear a curly fro to work but that's it. Maybe my lack of growth is due to my age. I'm mid 50s so that might be the issue. Anyone here have the same problem? Please share.:afro:

faithVA

I've been on a hair journey since Wanakee introduced her hair products and decades later, I'm here feeling disappointed that I've never reach my goal of bra strap hair. I'm almost five years natural and my hair isn't growing as fast as I thought it should be. I journal my journey and I predicted that my hair should be collar-bone by year five, instead, I'm stuck at, the best, neck length. I've done everything possible to retain hair length, deep condition under steamer, use the LOC method, handle my hair only when damp etc. The only thing I can think of is maybe I handle my hair too much. I install bantu knots every week so that I can wear a curly fro to work but that's it. Maybe my lack of growth is due to my age. I'm mid 50s so that might be the issue. Anyone here have the same problem? Please share.:afro:
Hi @Misseyl , :bighug:

I definitely feel your pain. After menopause my hair growth definitely slowed down to about 1 inch every 3 months or so. With that said, I also have a lot of breakage with my hair being so dry and tangling and a bunch of other things.

Maybe you can use the next quarter to track your true growth rate and see if and where you are getting breakage. Are you trimming or dusting your progress away?

We also have a slow grower thread you may want to participate in for support, ideas and encouragement .

There can be many causes for your slower progress. Other ladies may chime in to help you with some ideas.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Hi, so you wear your hair out everyday?

faithVA

Two inches would do so much to help out my styling. Technically by June I should have 2 inches but I sure don't see any movement. :perplexed:

Misseyl

Does it get dry throughout the day? It being left out all day? Mines would.
It doesn't get dry/hard because of the products I'm using. I use Camille Rose products, especially the Honey Leave-in. When I was using SheaMoisture my hair would get hard. I remember vividly when vacationing in Jamaica, my hair got hard. I realized then that if I lived in Jamaica, I would have to give up using SheaMoisture.:afro: