Slow Growers who are Anemic. I think we need a pill poppin support Challenge!

BlkOnyx488

Hi Ladies,
I have read on a few post about a possible corrolation with us ladies who are slow growers, anemic, and don't take our vitamins like we need too.

So I was thinking maybe we need a support challenge that encourages us to take our Vits daily and see if we have a change in our growth rate.

I was diagnosised a year ago and was prescribe prenatal vitamins. I haven't even made it half way through the first bottle.

so who else could use some support and a challenge to take your vitamins?

I have never done a challenge before so what do we have to do to make this official?

Esq.2B

Hey, I started a Winter Vitamin Challenge. It ends on April 1st. You should come join if you'd like. :)

JFK

Wow, this thread is on time. I had a checkup this week and the doctor prescribed iron supplements because I'm slightly anemic. Well, since the Winter Vitamin challenge is going strong until April, let's join it. More people and more support.

BrownEyez22

Hey, I started a Winter Vitamin Challenge. It ends on April 1st. You should come join if you'd like. :)

OP, that was my reason for joining Esq's challenge. I've started taking Prenatals this year. I have Ferrous Sulfate supplement's, but I don't like the side effects (constipation), although I have meds to off set it. That's just too many med's for me.

Let's work on this together ladies!:yep:

Vintageglam

Does anyone know if there is any other way to combat anemia bar the standard Iron tablets which play havoc with your digestive system. Could it be alleviated by say taking Spirulina in a green smoothie or green salads etc? I really don't like those Iron tablets and I don't want to take them as they interfere with my multivit or have to take any more pills? Also I find that when I keep my vitamin reggie really simple (i.e. 3 items or less) then I am more likely to stay on track.

~~HoneyComb~~

Does anyone know if there is any other way to combat anemia bar the standard Iron tablets which play havoc with your digestive system. Could it be alleviated by say taking Spirulina in a green smoothie or green salads etc? I really don't like those Iron tablets and I don't want to take them as they interfere with my multivit or have to take any more pills? Also I find that when I keep my vitamin reggie really simple (i.e. 3 items or less) then I am more likely to stay on track.

Have you tried Slow-Fe or Mega Blood Builders? They are very gentle on the digestive system, and for most folks they cause no constipation. It's what I use because I didn't want anything messes with my digestive system--it's very sensitive. Since using these, I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

BlkOnyx488

My doctor prescribed prenatal vitamins.
I just started taking them again so i am not sure of the side effects
I take them right b4 I go to bed the theory being
they sit and work in my system longer at night
I dunno just a personal theory

yardyspice

Thanks for this post. I just did some research and found that seaweed can help with anemia so now I am snacking on seaweed and using it as a topping for rice.

supermodelsonya

Great thread. I'm hoping that my multivitamin that I just started taking will do the trick.

I remember when I started taking Biotin around this time last year, my hair really just took off! (Pics are in my album in my profile) But after that initial growth, I didn't really see much after that. And MSM gave me some serious headaches.

So hopefully I can get some growth. I've been hovering around NL/SL and I'm really really tired of it.

BlkOnyx488

NL/ SL is where I have lived my whole life. I would lose my mind if I actually make it to APL!:grin:

Great thread. I'm hoping that my multivitamin that I just started taking will do the trick.

I remember when I started taking Biotin around this time last year, my hair really just took off! (Pics are in my album in my profile) But after that initial growth, I didn't really see much after that. And MSM gave me some serious headaches.

So hopefully I can get some growth. I've been hovering around NL/SL and I'm really really tired of it.

Last edited:

chasturner84

NL/ SL is where I have lived my who life. I would lose my mind if I actually make it to APL!:grin:

Same here. I'm actually starting to see a change in length so I am definitely thrilled! I see ladies shooting for WL, I'm shooting for APL. :lachen: If I make it there and then to BSL, I'd just maintain it at that point and be oh so satisfied and content!!!:grin:

supermodelsonya

I'd be too ladies...

So is this an official support/challenge or what?

I think that it should be. There are a lot of ladies out there scratching their heads looking in the mirror right now wondering why they are slow growers too......

TyHill21

Okay so im late............ I am an anemic (who does not take her pills) and my hair grows slow.... is there a correlation?

BTW -I will be in the challenge I do need motivation to take the pills (so sad) :(

Sondice

Thank you soooo much girl:) I def need this. I was diagnosed as Anemic in the 7th grade. That was around thew time that my hair was prob the worst it was in my life. Dry, brittle, breaking constantly. I didn't know these two things had any correlation until prob 9th grade when my hairdresser simply looked at my hair and literally asked me "Are you anemic?" She explained to me that iron is key for hair growth and since my body was already lacking, and iron I was intaking, was going to other vital systems instead of my hair. But if I were to take a supplement, that extra iron, after going elsewhere, there would be enough left over to go 2 my hair.Sure enough it worked. Sometimes I do get lazy taking them, and my hair pays for it, virtually no growth at all. But when I do everything is good. Lol sorry this was so long, but yea. So ready 2 get started :)

chasturner84

Thank you soooo much girl:) I def need this. I was diagnosed as Anemic in the 7th grade. That was around thew time that my hair was prob the worst it was in my life. Dry, brittle, breaking constantly. I didn't know these two things had any correlation until prob 9th grade when my hairdresser simply looked at my hair and literally asked me "Are you anemic?" She explained to me that iron is key for hair growth and since my body was already lacking, and iron I was intaking, was going to other vital systems instead of my hair. But if I were to take a supplement, that extra iron, after going elsewhere, there would be enough left over to go 2 my hair.Sure enough it worked. Sometimes I do get lazy taking them, and my hair pays for it, virtually no growth at all. But when I do everything is good. Lol sorry this was so long, but yea. So ready 2 get started :)

This was NOT long! I'm happy that you did find the root cause of your slow growth. My Dr. just gave me a fortified multi. What are you taking? How much growth would you say that you get when you take your iron as prescribed?

MissLawyerLady

I'm very anemic too. About 2 months into taking my prenatals and iron supplement from my naturopathic doctor my energy is great and my hair starts to really grow.

I haven't taken my vitamins faithfully for the last 5 months and my energy sucks and my hair is acting strange.

My 2010 resolution is to take my vits daily, especially my iron supplement. So, I need y'all to provide me with motivation and I'll be joining the vitamin challenge. Maybe we can have a thread for ladies who are anemic.

My naturopath gives me an iron supplement called Ferrasorb and it is great- no constipation at all!

mscocoface

Interesting. I may have to research this a little more. I know when I would go to give blood during our blood drives at work they use to take my blood but I stopped giving because when they started checking to see if you have low iron, I would get rejected. Needless to say I got tired of them doing that so I stop going to give blood.

I know I cannot take iron pills they do a number and a half on me and my system.

I have been taking chlorella, flaxseed and omegas for the past 6-7 months daily so I hope it is helping with the low iron. I have not done a length check in a very long while. Maybe in March, I hate to get myself worked up and then not notice a huge difference.

I just saw this, and I have been doing many of the things suggested with regards to food. I am going to add more of these in my diet, I am one of those if I can do it naturally then I will.

See Below:
Dietary Changes and Supplements
Iron
You may need iron supplements to build up your iron levels as quickly as possible. Iron supplements can correct low iron levels within months. Supplements come in pill form or in drops for children.

Large amounts of iron can be harmful. Thus, you should take iron supplements only as your doctor prescribes. Keep iron supplements out of reach from children. This will prevent them from taking an overdose of iron.

Iron supplements can cause side effects, such as dark stools, stomach irritation, and heartburn. Iron also can cause constipation, so your doctor may suggest that you use a stool softener.

Your doctor may advise you to eat more foods that are rich in iron. The best source of iron is red meat, especially beef and liver. Chicken, turkey, pork, fish, and shellfish also are good sources of iron.
The body tends to absorb the iron from meat better than iron in other foods. However, other foods also can help you raise your iron levels.
Nonmeat foods that are good sources of iron include:

Spinach and other dark green leafy vegetables
Peanuts, peanut butter, and almonds
Eggs
Peas; lentils; and white, red, and baked beans
Dried fruits, such as raisins, apricots, and peaches
Prune juice
Iron is added to some foods, such as cereal, bread, and pasta. You can look at the Nutrition Facts label on a food to find out how much iron it contains. The amount is given as a percentage of the total amount of iron you need every day.

Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron. Good sources of vitamin C are fruits and vegetables, especially guava, red sweet pepper, kiwi, oranges and orange juice, green pepper, and grapefruit juice.

If you're taking medicines, ask your doctor or pharmacist whether you can eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. This fruit can affect the strength of a few medicines and how well they work.

Other fruits rich in vitamin C are strawberries, cantaloupe, papaya, pineapple, and mango. Vegetables high in vitamin C include vegetable and tomato juices, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, broccoli, sweet potato, cauliflower, and kale.

Fresh and frozen fruits, vegetables, and juices usually have more vitamin C than canned ones.

Last edited:

Jewell

I am anemic as well. Have been since birth! My hair isn't growing as fast as it was when I was faithfully taking my vits. I take an iron/zinc fortified prenatal, prescription folic acid (1mg a day), and special amino acid hair vits, but I only seem to take the hair vits regularly. I'm up for this challenge, I need to re-up on the prenatals.

My hair was DA BOMB DIGGITY (soft, thick, fast-growing) when I was preggs with my daughter and taking those prenatals every single day. Since then, it doesn't grow as fast...I'm also going to pick up some other vits for health as well as hair. Oh yeah, and my energy SUCKS EGGS DAILY. I'm also cold all the time! I hate the low-energy part the most...I have a mind to do things, but physically can't get motivated to do them. I could sleep 12 hours and still awake quite tired. It really does suck. I'm not lazy, there's a physiological reason for it...I wish many would understand that about those who are anemic.

Last edited:

lux10023

i take feosol...i pick it up from rite-aid---45mg and gentle on your stomach--and regulates bowel movement...thumbs up!

JFK

I am anemic as well. Have been since birth! My hair isn't growing as fast as it was when I was faithfully taking my vits. I take an iron/zinc fortified prenatal, prescription folic acid (1mg a day), and special amino acid hair vits, but I only seem to take the hair vits regularly. I'm up for this challenge, I need to re-up on the prenatals.

My hair was DA BOMB DIGGITY (soft, thick, fast-growing) when I was preggs with my daughter and taking those prenatals every single day. Since then, it doesn't grow as fast...I'm also going to pick up some other vits for health as well as hair. Oh yeah, and my energy SUCKS EGGS DAILY. I'm also cold all the time! I hate the low-energy part the most...I have a mind to do things, but physically can't get motivated to do them. I could sleep 12 hours and still awake quite tired. It really does suck. I'm not lazy, there's a physiological reason for it...I wish many would understand that about those who are anemic.

Are you serious?! I suffer from the EXACT symptoms but just blamed it on being pregnant. I didn't know that iron deficiency causes this. I just think to myself "what's wrong with me?" I plan on doing things but just can't seem to physically do them. I'm always resting.

derbygurl

You ladies are great, I learn so much from being on here. It all makes sense now why I may not have the growth I think I should have despite how much I properly care for my hair. I have always been anemic but have never properly taken my vitamins. I never do challenges but this one I am definitely doing!

JFK

Well, you know what we have to do ladies.

POP THOSE PILLS TO POP THOSE BRASTRAPS!
(God willing)

lol

Last edited:

gn1g

anyone take Molasses daily? It's about 6% Iron 7% magnesium is wonderful in trace minerals and works well at getting rid of cramps and building the iron levels.

Nice & Wavy

I take S.S.S. Tonic...works great for me!