Smirnoff Vodka in shampoo to stimulate growth?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by rwanda, Sep 21, 2006.

1. rwanda

rwanda Member

Hello Ladies, I just bought a book called Clean It! Fix It! Eat It! This book has ways to solve everyday problems with brand name products you have around the house. I read a part in the book that states "add one jigger of Smirnoff Vodka to your 12 ou. bottle of shampoo to keep scalp clean, remove all pollutants from hair, & stimulate your hair (I guess they meant scalp) to grow faster & healthier." Have you ladies ever heard of this?:confused:

2. Shaniquah

Shaniquah Member

Yes, I've heard of this - I found a recipe on this board that is a spritz of vodka, rosemary oil, water and peppermint oil (I believe) It is definitely stimulating, but I haven't used it long enough to say there was a significance in growth...

3. natasha

natasha New Member

Won't the vodka cause dryness (with the alcohol) ? :scratchch

4. Shaniquah

Shaniquah Member

That was something I wondered as well, but my scalp is always so oily anyway and the times I've used the spritz it really didn't cause any dryness.

5. karezone

karezone Well-Known Member

BUMPING!!

For more responses.

6. KiniKakes

KiniKakes New Member

Interesting..... never heard this. Although i do recall reading once on the board that someone had achieved faster growth by beer co-washes! :lol: (Sorry, that just sounds funny to me!) But that's pretty cool huh? I'd be too afraid that my hair would reek of vodka/beer for too long afterward......

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  7. Candy_C

Candy_C New Member

hmmm that sounds like it would be really drying...pure alcohol

8. Sharpened

Sharpened A fleck on His Sword

I recall a couple of years ago seeing a cayenne/votka mix floating around the net. Google vodka cayenne hair growth.

9. zzirvingj

zzirvingj New Member

I read the same thing but don't I'll be jumping on that bandwagon...

10. Mizani_Mrs

Mizani_Mrs Well-Known Member

I've heard of alcohol and beer rinses also. I do not have any knowledge per se, but just thinking about this...here is my 'educated guess'. By adding vodka to the rosemary, peppermint mix...I would think that alcohol would act as a 'carrier' for the conditioning properties of the rosemary/peppermint. The same way as you add alcohol to a perfume so that it can carry the smell. So i can understand that, but i do think that alcohol would be drying to the hair. So you may get the benefits of the rosemary/peppermint, but you will also get dry hair. Perhaps cayenne pepper would be a better carrier. But who knows...maybe alcohol isn't as bad as it seems....

11. Ebonygurl00

Ebonygurl00 New Member

Yeah, I've heard about the beer rinse, but not the vodka rinse! Well, I'm a minor, so I don't think it would be wise for me to walk around with alcohol-smelling hair. :lol:

12. rwanda

rwanda Member

Sorry for checking in late ladies to response's, but for curiousity I added a little to my cream of nature shampoo and I said I would use it for whenever I shampoo, just as a experiment to see if I notice any changes. My hair still came out soft and smooth from the con, and I didn't notice any smell from the vodka. If I notice some dryness I will definitely discontinue using it.

13. Chinagem

Chinagem Well-Known Member

Doesn't or didn't CD use vodka in her rinses? Seems like I remember reading that on her website when she used to list her ingredients.