So annoyed with my DRY scalp! Do you experience dry scalp?

LaFemmeNaturelle

Do you ladies have dry scalp and what do you do/use to remedy it?

I remember having soooo much dandruff before starting my HHJ (or what I thought was dandruff, but it was really just dry scalp). When I started co-washing 3 times a week, it went away. DUH because my scalp stayed moisturized.

But I recently started a new regimen to decrease my manipulation so I've only been washing once a week. And the flakes are back in full effect:wallbash: and I can't stop scratching! GRRR!!!

So do I HAVE to go back to multiple washes a week or is there an oil I can use (not daily because I'll forget) that will keep my hair moisturized? I think coconut oil would do some good but how often do you all recommend I apply it? I don't want to have too much buildup on my scalp since I only shampoo once a month.

MarieB

I find that coconut oil on the scalp definitely helps between washes without leaving my hair too greasy (oils have a tendency to weigh my hair down, and coconut oil seems to be the only thing that doesn't give me that problem). That's all I got, hope it helps.

Bublin

I have suffered a dry, flaky scalp all my life until i stopped using shampoo's with sulphates and parabens. Now i'm clear. Yipee. Coconut Oil is good. I use WGO oil after i have dried my hair and then reapply when my scalp feels tight, dry or itchy - sometimes every day. I still have to wash every 5 days but i have a drastic improvement.

seemegrow

I agree with the coconut oil. You might also try argan oil. Also do you drink enough water? That could help hydrate your scalp. HTH:yep:

ladychoong

I agree with everyone and with the coconut oil you could put some E.O's in such as this blend (cedarwood, rosemary, lavender and Thyme). It's been posted in older threads and it's a good way keep your scalp happy and promote a better ground for growing hair.

•2 drops Thyme essential oil ( Thymus vulgaris )
•2 drops Atlas cedarwood essential oil ( Cedrus atlantica )
•3 drops Lavender essential oil( Lavandula angustifolia )
•3 drops Rosemary essential oil ( Rosmarinus officinalis )
•3 ml teaspoon Jojoba oil
•20 ml Grapeseed oil

curlyninjagirl

This is so funny, I came on here to look up some remedies or solutions for my dry scalp. I think it may be due to this new conditioner I started using 2 weeks ago. The itch was insane.

Funny enough, it was Giovanni SAS, which is all natural and free of parabens and such. I had high hopes for it, but I later researched some of the ingredients and found that it contained a few skin irritants such as grapefruit extract.

The other suspected cause is that I went from rinsing my scalp in the shower daily to once a week and I think that may have left my scalp feeling....thirsty? I guess (still gotta research this occurance.)

Y'know, it sort of reminds me of when I don't have any lotion, so I try to wet my hands with water. That works for about 2 seconds before my hands are even more chapped then before. I think I might have created this effect on my scalp...maybe. HTH.

beans4reezy

Wish I could help, but like you, I used to experience dry scalp. Cowashing completely took care of that. But I see that you want to decrease the daily manipulation on your hair. Good luck :)

BeaLady

This has been a staple of mine for years. I love this oil and I believe that I get some growth from it. I can't be sure if it's this oil by itself because I use so many other products but my scalp loves it. :)

Key Ingredients:
Apple and Grape Seed Extract: Potent fruit enzymes that assist in regenerating new skin cells.
Safflower Oil: An essential fatty and powerful anti-oxidant that lubricates dry scalp tissue.
Chinese Herbal Complex: An herbal tonic that increases circulation and calms the scalp.

ms.blue

I used to suffer from really dry scalp when relaxed and I still do as a natural but not as bad. I oil my scalp about two days after I wash w/ either jojoba oil or coconut oil. I realize also my dry scalp occurs more often in the winter than in spring/summer because I think that I 1. Drink more water 2. The air is warmer and 3. I rinse my hair more.

Guitarhero

I now swear by coconut oil that has had pure cinnamon bark steeped in it. It doesn't smell stinky at all. It really works and it seems the softening effect of the coco oil is better for some reason.

hair4romheaven

I agree with everyone and with the coconut oil you could put some E.O's in such as this blend (cedarwood, rosemary, lavender and Thyme). It's been posted in older threads and it's a good way keep your scalp happy and promote a better ground for growing hair.

•20 ml Grapeseed oil

I use this blend. I love it.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I agree with the coconut oil. You might also try argan oil. Also do you drink enough water? That could help hydrate your scalp. HTH:yep:

Yep I drink 3 liters a day....actually ALL of my skin is dry except my hands and my face. My legs get so dry and itchy even right out the shower, just like my scalp. I should probably start using natural oils on my skin as well. Thanks!

LaFemmeNaturelle

•20 ml Grapeseed oil

No money in the bank and no job. Will peppermint oil do? lol My mom has some of that! I also have some vitamin e oil.

LaFemmeNaturelle

This is so funny, I came on here to look up some remedies or solutions for my dry scalp. I think it may be due to this new conditioner I started using 2 weeks ago. The itch was insane.

Funny enough, it was Giovanni SAS, which is all natural and free of parabens and such. I had high hopes for it, but I later researched some of the ingredients and found that it contained a few skin irritants such as grapefruit extract.

The other suspected cause is that I went from rinsing my scalp in the shower daily to once a week and I think that may have left my scalp feeling....thirsty? I guess (still gotta research this occurance.)

Y'know, it sort of reminds me of when I don't have any lotion, so I try to wet my hands with water. That works for about 2 seconds before my hands are even more chapped then before. I think I might have created this effect on my scalp...maybe. HTH.

Maybe thats it. I didn't have this problem when I washed every other day. Just when I go a week or longer between washes.

*CherryPie*

A little Tea Tree oil in your coconut oil will help clear your scalp of anything that could be causing that itch. Sometimes it's buildup or dry scalp. But bacteria and fungus can also cause it.

BlackDiamond21

I have suffered a dry, flaky scalp all my life until... I use WGO oil after i have dried my hair and then reapply when my scalp feels tight, dry or itchy - sometimes every day..

All that is true for me too! Dry/flaky scalp for years until I realized I needed something to moisturize my scalp and WGO is now my staple for this! I use it after my hair is dried and rub into my scalp. I use it about 2x a week - right after a wash and set and then probably the following Wed/Thurs. My hair/scalp thank me - the extra growth is a major plus :drunk:!

I also use this all over 2 days before my relaxer to make my curls loosen up
and to ensure my scalp is properly moisturized. :lick:

Good luck!

LaFemmeNaturelle

A little Tea Tree oil in your coconut oil will help clear your scalp of anything that could be causing that itch. Sometimes it's buildup or dry scalp. But bacteria and fungus can also cause it.

It doesn't itch.....why I'm scratching? IDK I'm weird lol it's like when I know I have flakes, I'm gonna scratch to get rid of them...knowing I'm probably making it worse lol