So I found out some of my follicles on my temple area are dead

naturalTAN

Have any of you ladies tried the sulfur oil on the affected areas? It doesn't work over night, (it's taken months for me)but that stuff is gradually filling in my crown. I never had the test to see if I had dead follicles in that area, but if your follicles can be revived I think that sulfur oil will do it. I'm natural now, but even after a 2 years of not relaxing my crown was still very thin until I started using sulfur oil over the summer.

i used bee mine daily for maybe a year and saw no progress. it did strengthen the hair that was already there so it seemed like they were filling in, but they weren't.

MrsMe

Have any of you ladies tried the sulfur oil on the affected areas? It doesn't work over night, (it's taken months for me)but that stuff is gradually filling in my crown. I never had the test to see if I had dead follicles in that area, but if your follicles can be revived I think that sulfur oil will do it. I'm natural now, but even after a 2 years of not relaxing my crown was still very thin until I started using sulfur oil over the summer.

Tried it. I've been natural for five years and all of my hair has strengthened except for my temples which are practically gone despite the fact that I didn't abuse my hair. It runs in my family so it was bound to happen at some point in my life but I think stress accelerated the process.

Sent from my PG86100

abcd09

You have to have enough hair in the donor area which is usually the back of the head to get it done. Maybe Naomi is bald all over? Or maybe she doesn't care? I don't know.

I have before pics but I'm embarrassed about posting. Don't have after yet since I just got it done yesterday. Maybe once my hair grows back I can post both.
Don't be embarassed! There are so many women here who are going through the exact same thing and have tried every option there is with no success. And there isn't anyone here who has had the transplants, but I know plenty are considering. Your story is inspiring!

I do understand the fear though, because there can be some women here who are very nasty and unforgiving about Naomi's edges and have no idea about the pain behind this specific type of hair loss. Maybe you could create an album on fotki and give the pw to people who are interested when you feel comfortable.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I will pics to my fotki and track my progress of my transplant. I'll post in a few. Give me some time. I'm talking to dh right now. Got get him to take the pictures.

MrsMe

I will pics to my fotki and track my progress of my transplant. I'll post in a few. Give me some time. I'm talking to dh right now. Got get him to take the pictures.

Thank you for sharing that with us! Pics are my 3rd addiction. :lol: Send me a pm with the password ASAP if there is any. :look:

Sent from my PG86100

My Friend

Ohhhhhh....temples. I'm thinking the entire edge line. My ummmmm temples are thin but I thought it was because when I'm passionate about something, I think long and hard :grin:

growinghealthyhair

You have to have enough hair in the donor area which is usually the back of the head to get it done. Maybe Naomi is bald all over? Or maybe she doesn't care? I don't know.

I have before pics but I'm embarrassed about posting. Don't have after yet since I just got it done yesterday. Maybe once my hair grows back I can post both.

Anonymous1

I know how you feel!!! Can't wait until a year from now when that changes for you!! This really seems like something that would be very promising for me. I've been dealing with this for so long I really don't know what else to do. I have finally noticed that there are actual bald areas in my edges, I'v been massaging oil into them every night so hopefully this will begin to stimulate some growth.

Was the biopsy included in the 3900?? Thats really not a bad price at all....I guess I need to decide..Edges?? Or Braces?? :lachen:

I don't think I really u understand the procedure though. I literally thought they would be moving hair from one area to another. (meaning once you were done, you had nice full thick edges)

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Anonymous1

I know how you feel!!! Can't wait until a year from now when that changes for you!! This really seems like something that would be very promising for me. I've been dealing with this for so long I really don't know what else to do. I have finally noticed that there are actual bald areas in my edges, I'v been massaging oil into them every night so hopefully this will begin to stimulate some growth.

Was the biopsy included in the 3900?? Thats really not a bad price at all....I guess I need to decide..Edges?? Or Braces?? :lachen:

I don't think I really u understand the procedure though. I literally thought they would be moving hair from one area to another. (meaning once you were done, you had nice full thick edges)

NO it takes a couple of months to grow in. They transplant tissue and follicles from the donor site. I got my biopsy done somewhere else. My derm told me about the dead follicles because the injections were not working like she thought it should. Seems to me she should have done the biopsy first. Would have saved me some money and pain with those darn shots in my head.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
If any of you ladies have questions just tag me. I usually stay in the Entertainment forum but I wanted to post this because I know someone is thinking about doing it. Hope I helped someone. I'll probably update my progress monthly in my album.

abcd09

i used bee mine daily for maybe a year and saw no progress. it did strengthen the hair that was already there so it seemed like they were filling in, but they weren't.
i think sulfur doesn't work on temple areas. the reason why it worked may have been because she used it on her crown. temple/edges/sides seem to be resistant to most treatments suggested by ladies here (suflur, castor oil, shots etc) especially if it's from traction alopecia.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
i think sulfur doesn't work on temple areas. the reason why it worked may have been because she used it on her crown. temple/edges/sides seem to be resistant to most treatments suggested by ladies here (suflur, castor oil, shots etc) especially if it's from traction alopecia.

The doctor who did my procedure did mention that the shots rarely work for traction alopecia. I wasted a lot of money of that. I wish i would have have the transplant sooner but I made sure to do a lot of research before doing it. It's definitely not about finding the cheapest price but finding the best doctor and checking for complaints etc. My doc was great and the staff was great.

mzsophisticated26

I have recently start to consider transplants but I am not sure if it would be a waste of money simce my rapid hair loss is part hereditary, hypo thyroid, vit D defiency.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I have recently start to consider transplants but I am not sure if it would be a waste of money simce my rapid hair loss is part hereditary, hypo thyroid, vit D defiency.

I'm not sure about that one. He did say that they use hair from the back of the head because it is less likely to be affected by different alopecias. I mean people with male pattern baldness get it done so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. Maybe do some research and find out.

mzsophisticated

naturalTAN

Anonymous1

So the follicles and tissue are taken from a healthy part of the nape and put on the temples/edges. So the nape hair eventually grows back though, right?

nycutiepie

This is the first I've heard of this but I think I am probably a good candidate. I envy people with edges as i can never wear my hair back and always have to do some kind of swoop. Your story is encouraging so thank you.

My Friend

I understand the hypo thyroid issue but hereditary and vit D issues have me confused.

Vitamin D def. Can be fixed in 6 weeks or less. Hereditary...hmm is it because you both did the same things/styles to your hair? Same type of unhealthy hair practices passed on from generation to generation getting the same long term results?.

naturalTAN

I understand the hypo thyroid issue but hereditary and vit D issues have me confused.

Vitamin D def. Can be fixed in 6 weeks or less. Hereditary...hmm is it because you both did the same things/styles to your hair? Same type of unhealthy hair practices passed on from generation to generation getting the same long term results?.

This.

Everybody in my family says that our alopecia is hereditary, but I try to explain that it's really due to how they pulled their hair and our hair too tight and used those brittle brushes so roughly on our edges for years.

Beverly Ann Properties

Best wishes to you in your hair surgery recovery. Keep us posted on your progress. You will be able to help a lot of us that have this or similar hair loss issues. You are a trailblazer on this topic. Thank you for sharing.

virtuenow

What happened? I mean, what lead to the hair loss & follicle damage? Was it heat burn, chemical damage, or mechanical damage? Asking so that perhaps others may prevent this.

mzsophisticated26

This.

Everybody in my family says that our alopecia is hereditary, but I try to explain that it's really due to how they pulled their hair and our hair too tight and used those brittle brushes so roughly on our edges for years.

My Friend
Yeah I know vit d issue can be fixed but in addition to hypo thyroid I have thalassemia which hair loss is inevitable with those two conditions and mine seems to get worse the more I take care of my hair. i only said hereditary cuz my family history. my mom, grammy, aunt they never wore braids or weaves just their hair or wigs, all of them kept short hair styles. I know out of them my mom is the one that never DC or wash frequently but she and grammy r natural. my aunt goes to salon and has short hair cut. All of them said balding started late 20's and everyone has fine hair. My sister always had healthy hair and now she is experiencing balding in crown and temples like me. I use to have bad hair practices years ago but when I started to take care of my hair 4yrs ago the balding and thinning got worse as I got older. My derm also said we may have female pattern baldness running through our blood line.

Last edited:

My Friend

What happened? I mean, what lead to the hair loss & follicle damage? Was it heat burn, chemical damage, or mechanical damage? Asking so that perhaps others may prevent this.

virtuenow

Like one poster said above..those hard bristol brushes on our edges day after day, year after year. Alcohol based gels to make baby hair. Tight braids or weaves.

Depending upon your current age and how you took care of your hair as child is going to determine how your hairline looks or is going to look.

I think our daughters and future generations will have beautiful edges.

SuchaLady

I may have to try this in a few years. I had a horrible allergic reaction in high school and my edges fell out. I've had no luck with them since.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Best wishes to you in your hair surgery recovery. Keep us posted on your progress. You will be able to help a lot of us that have this or similar hair loss issues. You are a trailblazer on this topic. Thank you for sharing.

This post means a lot to me. I hope I can help at least one person. Some people in my real life think I am too sensitive but until you have been in my position, they couldn't imagine how it feels to be a woman who can't do a style as simple as a ponytail. So thank you. I will track my progress every month. I have some pics up so PM me anyone if you want the link. I don't want to put my pics on the public forum just yet.

Last edited:

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar

virtuenow

Tight ponytails as a child and I got micro braids in the early 2000s that took out all of my temples. They were non existent after the braids. They grew back in some but never completely.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Impressive!! Those results are what my sister got after a few months. :yep: I can't stand the fact that money is standing between me and my edges.

Sent from my PG86100

(hugs) I thought my procedure would have been higher but i didn't need that many follicles put in since I already had some active follicles.