So Indian ppl love Amla oil

SimplyBlessed

I went to get my eyebrows threaded the other day and was by the Indian grocery store in my town...

Well while the lady was threading my eyebrows I decided to ask her a few questions about oils and powders....

She said she always oils with Amla and washes the next day...When I asked her about powder she said she only uses henna which she loves...

The next day I was in a hair store looking at half wigs and upon asking the lady working there the same questions she too said she love Amala oil, but doesn't use the powders much b/c they are messy, but she loves some henna. I brought some amla oil when I was at the store and can't wait to use it...when I was in the store and purchased the Amla oils and Dabur Vatika oil the lady that rang me up said GOOD CHOICES

so Amla oil must be the ish...

on another note...it seems that not to many Indians (atleast in my town) use the powders anymore...except for henna :ohwell:

I plan on talking to a friend of mine who is indiana...

Almost forgot lol the lady at the store even said she made her own conditioner with honey and evoo....I was like look at her lurking on LHCF what she know about honey

Last edited:

Geminigirl

This is the oil I wanted to get and try (amla) because I heard it thickens. I still want to try this. I heard the smell was horrible so i got an oil with amla in it. Plus the guy at the store recommended the oils I got for hair growth so I got them.

Let me know how the oil works out for you and the smell.

chebaby

yea amla is an ayurvedic oil. i think that means its popular among indian women. also there are plenty of threads on this board.
i just started back using my amla oil. i like it and was thinking of using it tonight but i dont want it on my pillow lmao.

Geminigirl

Oh I don't know why but it's so interesting to me that people that have straight hair actually use oils on their hair(I am sure some also have wavy/curly hair). That's cool though. I just thought people with that kind of hair just shampooed and condtioned. Just me being naive.

nikki2229

There is a thread about making your own oils using the powders.
Did your amla oil contain mineral oil? Many ladies say that there is two different ones, one that has mineral oil as the 1st ingredient and the other contains no mineral oil.
I just made a batch of amla oil but I haven't used it yet.

flowinlocks

Amla is actually highy acidic by nature. It strengthens the roots, and thickens and darkens the hair. A lot of people use it to darken their Henna and help it release faster.

BostonMaria

Most of the Indian women at my job use Henna and Amla. They're usually surprised that I use these powders too.

If you end up not liking the smell, try adding an essential oil to change up the fragrance.

MahoganyJazz

I've had my eye on that Dabur Vatika. Does it have a strong scent? I know that it contains Amla, thus the reason I'm asking.

diva24

From the Indian woman at my job: "Modernized Indian women find powders too time consuming. I use your (American) shampoo. I only take time to do henna pack once a month and only in the summer. It is too cooling to my head. I do use my coconut oil (in her hair) and my mask (for her face)."

I guess she is trying to keep it simple.

discodumpling

I prefer Amla powder. It gives me the same results & I control what oil is used. I don't henna anymore because I did not love the drastic(for me) texture change & I wanted to see what my natural hair colour was before I start going grey :) I am however considering doing henna gloss' (no colour release) for strength 1-2 X per year

andromeda

I actually ordered Amla several months ago, before I found LHCF. Actually, it was before I even decided to transition. I was simply looking for something to moisturize my hair and I remembered a Global Goddess beauty segment I had seen on The View. Well, when I visited that website she had a coconut amla treatment - $45 for 6 oz.hmmmmm. I ended up ordering 8 oz Vadik Herbs Amla oil from Bazaar of India for $20. Of course, a short time later I found LHCF and saw that everyone used powder:wallbash:

Anyways, I use the Amla as a prepoo with other oils when I shampoo. I also mix it into my deep conditioner mix sometimes and mixed it into my shea butter/coconut oil/castor oil cream mix. I cannot say what effect Amla has had on my hair, since I was really abusing my hair prior to using it and once I did start using it, it was part of a very healthy regimen. I don't think the smell is horrible, it's on the musky side and I wouldn't oil my hair with it if I knew I was going outside the house, but a few drops wouldn't be too bad.

SW2011

One of my best friends is Indian and she loves Alma oil. We were sitting in school one day and she was like, "I love your hair. What do you use on it when you wash it?" I told her that I use conditioner mainly, but I use Alma oil every couple of weeks and let it stay overnight. She was so surprised because that's what she uses.

Cassandra1975

I actually ordered Amla several months ago, before I found LHCF. Actually, it was before I even decided to transition. I was simply looking for something to moisturize my hair and I remembered a Global Goddess beauty segment I had seen on The View. Well, when I visited that website she had a coconut amla treatment - $45 for 6 oz.hmmmmm. I ended up ordering 8 oz Vadik Herbs Amla oil from Bazaar of India for $20. Of course, a short time later I found LHCF and saw that everyone used powder:wallbash:

Anyways, I use the Amla as a prepoo with other oils when I shampoo. I also mix it into my deep conditioner mix sometimes and mixed it into my shea butter/coconut oil/castor oil cream mix. I cannot say what effect Amla has had on my hair, since I was really abusing my hair prior to using it and once I did start using it, it was part of a very healthy regimen. I don't think the smell is horrible, it's on the musky side and I wouldn't oil my hair with it if I knew I was going outside the house, but a few drops wouldn't be too bad.
$45 for 6 oz????? :shocked: Jesus take the wheel! How about I just mix some amla oil with some coconut oil and call it a day!

I have some brahmi-amla oil from Vadik Herbs. It doesn't stink at all. Just has an herbal smell. But that could be because the brahmi is in it.

myronnie

Lol. The title makes me chuckle a bit :p
Yes, amla oil is really popular. I myself like brahmi oil the best (Ramtirth) because it is very natural unlike a lot of the mineral-oil based amla oils.

andromeda

$45 for 6 oz????? :shocked: Jesus take the wheel! How about I just mix some amla oil with some coconut oil and call it a day!

I have some brahmi-amla oil from Vadik Herbs. It doesn't stink at all. Just has an herbal smell. But that could be because the brahmi is in it.

Yeah, I know. The owner of Global Goddess beauty is an Indian woman by the name of Shalini Vedhera (sp) and she's frequently on TV talking about how Indian women love coconut/amla oil for their hair. I've also seen her products in the Victoria Secret catalog. But I just couldn't pay that much for 6 oz. More power to her for exposing people to different cultures' beauty staples and positioning her product line as "luxury" goods, but I feel sort of bad for people who don't know about the availability of ayurvedic products and think this particular product is their only option or somehow superior to other brands of amla.

ladytee2

From the Indian woman at my job: "Modernized Indian women find powders too time consuming. I use your (American) shampoo. I only take time to do henna pack once a month and only in the summer. It is too cooling to my head. I do use my coconut oil (in her hair) and my mask (for her face)."

I guess she is trying to keep it simple.

I made the mistake of asking my Indian coworker about amla. OMG that was horrible is very sensitive and high strung. She doesnt use them and she started explaining that her mom raised them in a global home, just buy whats in the store and ended with her crying trying to justify how she cant ask her mom how she raised her. I was standing there with my mouth hanging open saying I just want to some amla oil.

So I ended up visiting quite a few Indian/Pakistan shops searching for powders and oil. I usually get very strange looks and Im usually the only nonIndian in site. My last trip there was a very dark muslim lady in full dress staring at me talking in her native tounge to I assume was her husband. I hate going in those shops. I should have smiled and stared back. Next time I am going to smile and say hello to everyone.

Last edited:

camilla

I buy my amla and brahmi from the local indian store i use them for pre poo mixed with conditioner, mix with oilive or grapeseed oil as hot oil prior to washing AND i seal in my moisturizer with it as well my hair is soooo soft after:love:

oh its $2 to $3 bucks :pulpdance:

Last edited:

SimplyBlessed

So I ended up visiting quite a few Indian/Pakistan shops searching for powders and oil. I usually get very strange looks and Im usually the only nonIndian in site. My last trip there was a very dark muslim lady in full dress staring at me talking in her native tounge to I assume was her husband. I hate going in those shops. I should have smiled and stared back. Next time I am going to smile and say hello to everyone.

girl when I go into my local indian stores I get that look like...ummm what is she doing here lol

but I just go in get what I need and leave....the ladies are usually very helpful if I need help

Hey they can't hate on us for wanting to have beautiful hair like them....

SimplyBlessed

Lol. The title makes me chuckle a bit :p
Yes, amla oil is really popular. I myself like brahmi oil the best (Ramtirth) because it is very natural unlike a lot of the mineral-oil based amla oils.

mmm I didnt think to look and see if it has mineral oil, but if I use it as a prepoo will it be that bad??

I got the Dabur brand in the green bottle

Last edited:

Zenobia61

This is what happens to me everytime I go into a indian store. :wallbash: It just feels so wrong and I really don't like to spend my money where I don't feel welcome, but I luv my some Amla powder and it's the cheapest place to get it in my neck of the woods so next time, I too will smile and greet everyone in the store!!!!

myronnie

mmm I didnt think to look and see if it has mineral oil, but if I use it as a prepoo will it be that bad??

I got the Dabur brand in the green bottle
Honestly you should be ok. I use it as a scalp oil and put it on my length but i mix it with other carrier oils. Ifit smells bad, just mix it with some essential oils.

ladylibra

girl when I go into my local indian stores I get that look like...ummm what is she doing here lol

but I just go in get what I need and leave....the ladies are usually very helpful if I need help

Hey they can't hate on us for wanting to have beautiful hair like them....

I totally understand. The first time I walked into the local Indian store, people were staring me down! :lol: I assumed that it was because they were confused as to what I was, as most people are... I mean, obviously Black but what else is in there? How does she know about our store? :rolleyes:

The same guy is there every time I go, no matter what time of day. Sometimes he's behind the counter, and sometimes not. But he's the one I first talked to when I mispronounced shikakai (called it shik-KAK-ee like a mushroom, and it's actually SHIK-ak-aye :blush: ). But he recognizes me now, and you know what he said today when I went to buy more amla powder?

"Not that your hair ever looked bad, but it looks much nicer now that you use amla. You know it promotes natural texture, I'm sure. And since you use henna, it keeps your curls from drooping too much."

I was so flattered I couldn't contain my giant ear-to-ear grin! :grin:

doll-baby

I don't know the Indian people around here are acting pretty stingy ! I've asked several Indian women where I can purchase amla oil and they look at me like I'm crazy, maybe they weren't Indian after all ? :perplexed So I'm just going to order it from online.

Last edited:

myronnie

I totally understand. The first time I walked into the local Indian store, people were staring me down! :lol: I assumed that it was because they were confused as to what I was, as most people are... I mean, obviously Black but what else is in there? How does she know about our store? :rolleyes:

The same guy is there every time I go, no matter what time of day. Sometimes he's behind the counter, and sometimes not. But he's the one I first talked to when I mispronounced shikakai (called it shik-KAK-ee like a mushroom, and it's actually SHIK-ak-aye :blush: ). But he recognizes me now, and you know what he said today when I went to buy more amla powder?

"Not that your hair ever looked bad, but it looks much nicer now that you use amla. You know it promotes natural texture, I'm sure. And since you use henna, it keeps your curls from drooping too much."

I was so flattered I couldn't contain my giant ear-to-ear grin! :grin:

I never encountered this :) But maybe it is because I already embrace the culture and understand much of the language. The people there were just really nice and a girl even offered to give me her incense holder from home! aw :)

Yeah when i first learnt how to speak hindi i was like ok once and for all, I'm going to learnhow to pronounce shikakai. In the script it is pronounced shi-kah-kae

Also, a lot of times if you enter a setting with a certain attitude, then people will give you the same attitude back. We must be accepting of other people so that they can accept us!

Last edited:

varaneka

I use Global Goddess Coconut Amla oil

Coconut Oil: nourishes

Neem Oil: soothes scalp

Amla Extract: rejuvenates

Henna: adds volume and shine

Grape Seed Oil: protects

Avocado Oil: moisturizes scalp