"So, is that a weave or a clip-on?"

BklynHeart

I was talking to my co-worker, who's white, about kids. We're laughing and joking and she says "your hair is so cute!". I have on a instant-weave, loose curls with a headband. I just said thanks. I've been wearing braids since March so this is the first time I've had my hair 'out'. So she just comes out with "so, is that a weave or some clip-on?".
I just looked at her because we're not cool like that. I was going to get smart until I remembered that she hangs with this other co-worker on my job whose black and this chick KNOWS my real hair is the same length as the half-wig! When I came back to work on Tuesday the black chick saw me and told me my hair looks nice and I told her it was a half-wig because she knows I'm transitioning.
So, I'm thinking she must have said something to white-girl because why would she come out and ask me something like that??

sunshinelady

Naw, don't be paranoid. YTs are hip to the weave game now. She was probably just trying to show her knowledge. Read the Grape Soda discussion. *lol*

BklynHeart

Naw, don't be paranoid. YTs are hip to the weave game now. She was probably just trying to show her knowledge. Read the Grape Soda discussion. *lol*
LOL, yeah, but the problem is, the few black girls that's up in here, 2 have BUSTED hair. For example, this one chick's weave/wigs are so bad WHITE guys know and one came up to me and asked me why don't I talk to her about that mess on her head.:grin: And the other one, she just doesn't do anything to it. But there's another chick who's hair is relaxed, past bra-strap and healthy.

I don't like the fact if a black woman has a nice style they'll automatically think its fake. Like that's the only time our hair looks nice.

Last edited:

senimoni

So you don't like that she knew your instant weave was fake? or that she said something to you?

Soliel185

LOL, yeah, but the problem is, the few black girls that's up in here, 2 have BUSTED hair. For example, this one chick's weave/wigs are so bad WHITE guys know and one came up to me and asked me why don't I talk to her about that mess on her head.:grin: And the other one, she just doesn't do anything to it. But there's another chick who's hair is relaxed, past bra-strap and healthy.

I don't like the fact if a black woman has a nice style they'll automatically think its fake. Like that's the only time our hair looks nice.

Unfortunately most of the time when you do see an AA woman with really long well kept looking hair or a super cute style it IS fake. When I first started wearing my hair down I would intentionally leave a few split ends in there so people would know it was real before they opened their mouths to say something stupid. Paranoid and silly perhaps, but I'm past it now. When black men are surprised that your hair is real, how is anyone of any other race supposed to know the difference? Especially since weaves have gotten so popular that even if they can't spot them they know they're out there. Although -- it's still unusal for a person of another race to come right out and ask you -- I'm almost positive she said your hair was cute to the other girl and that girl put you on blast.

C

chica_canella

Soleil - Ooh, girl. Look at your hair? Is that all your hair in the siggy cause' it is alot. I don't mean any offense.

My hair was big like this when I took my braids out but not as long. I thought I was the only one with big hair like this.:lachen:

BklynHeart

Unfortunately most of the time when you do see an AA woman with really long well kept looking hair or a super cute style it IS fake. When I first started wearing my hair down I would intentionally leave a few split ends in there so people would know it was real before they opened their mouths to say something stupid. Paranoid and silly perhaps, but I'm past it now. When black men are surprised that your hair is real, how is anyone of any other race supposed to know the difference? Especially since weaves have gotten so popular that even if they can't spot them they know they're out there. Although -- it's still unusal for a person of another race to come right out and ask you -- I'm almost positive she said your hair was cute to the other girl and that girl put you on blast.

Exactly!! You and Sareca hit the nail on the head! And I think I'm taken aback because the other chick has been working here as long as I've been here, so she knows my hair has always been a little past armpit length. And she knows I'm transitioning and the whole nine. She could of just kept her mouth shut. Now, if miss 25/20 had asked me herself without miss sista thang saying something I wouldn't of had a problem with it.

BklynHeart

Soleil - Ooh, girl. Look at your hair? Is that all your hair in the siggy cause' it is alot. I don't mean any offense.

My hair was big like this when I took my braids out but not as long. I thought I was the only one with big hair like this.:lachen:

Dang I just took a look too!! Your hair is off the chain!!

YoungWavey

Unfortunately most of the time when you do see an AA woman with really long well kept looking hair or a super cute style it IS fake. When I first started wearing my hair down I would intentionally leave a few split ends in there so people would know it was real before they opened their mouths to say something stupid. Paranoid and silly perhaps, but I'm past it now. When black men are surprised that your hair is real, how is anyone of any other race supposed to know the difference? Especially since weaves have gotten so popular that even if they can't spot them they know they're out there. Although -- it's still unusal for a person of another race to come right out and ask you -- I'm almost positive she said your hair was cute to the other girl and that girl put you on blast.[/quote]

I agree..I'm sorry but i'm a little surprize white people even notice weaves..My sister would have a sew in down her back then if she doesn't like it then she would get a short curly weave. Then white people at her job would be like Wow..betty(nickname bettyboo) Why did you cut your hair...:perplexed I think one of your co-workers did put you on blast...HATERS:nono:

PinkSkates

Yep...I agree with the other ladies. Your black co-worker told the white co-worker about your weave. But honestly, the white people in my circle are well aware that a large percentage of black women wear fake hair. So you can't really blame people for being more open about letting you know, that they know, that you are wearing fake hair. My teenage nephew and his friends, hang out at the mall and place bets on which black girls are wearing various kinds of fake hair. And he does quite well... Hair weaves and other kinds of fake hair are a part of our culture now, and people will put you on blast about it.:ohwell:

Soliel185

Dang I just took a look too!! Your hair is off the chain!!

Haha - Thx! Yes it's all mine :drunk:. I was in braids for about 2 yrs and then on new years eve decided I wanted a change. So I washed it, airdried and then flat ironed each braid one by one so I didn't scare myself right away. :lachen: The fro is what happened the first time I washed. I'd totally forgotten about shrinkage and I can only imagine the look on my face in the shower when I felt it start drawing up lol.

HoneyDew

It is obvious that is it a half wig? If so, she may have just been interested. I would not be offended. To me, if you wear wigs, weaves, etc - you can expect questions. It is not cool, though. I would never come out and ask someone that I am not cool with about something like that. The whole thing is one of the reasons, I would just rather not wear fake hair.

jtsupanova

You co worker might have told her but I doubt it. White women are really into weave now a days! Have you seen Jessica Simpson's new line of clip in extensions and falls...

dillard

i agree with the ladies that said she didn't have to be told by your black co-worker to ask that question. So I wouldn't get too mad at her just yet.

so what did you say to her?

BklynHeart

True, you ladies are giving me another perspective into the situation. I really felt that the sista said something only because went I came in on Monday black girl saw me and said she thought I was going back natural why did I relax, and I told her I still am, I just put this one because I removed my braids over the weekend. And the piece I had on is the same length my hair is now. Later that same day, white girl was with black girl and told me my hair looks so nice with the curls and I just said thanks, and black girl was like 'well I did her hair', joking around. I looked at black girl's head with that expression on my face like 'girl, WE ALL know u can't do your own hair!' and we both started laughing. It was a moment me and black girl only had because I wouldn't say anything like that in front of mixed company. She knows my facial expressions.

I guess I was taken aback because me and white girl aren't cool like that. At my previous job there was a white co-worker I was really tight with. She came with my friends out after work and even joined our book club. So if someone like her asked me about my hair I wouldn't even blink an eye.

Last edited: