So The Rumour Is...aubrey Organics Has Gone Bust!

virtuenow

Glad to know it's working the same for you!
I've been nervous.

@virtuenow Where are you ordering by the case?
What do you mean? They said it is being discontinued or something. I already order in bulk because I love it so much. It works out that I order during the black Friday sale and get a huge discount (I'm guessing an additional 50% off). So I order a whole lot of bottles and they last me the entire year!

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

What do you mean? They said it is being discontinued or something. I already order in bulk because I love it so much. I works out that I order during the black Friday sale and get a huge discount (I'm guessing an additional 50% off). So I order a whole lot of bottles and they last me the entire year!

Ahh. Okay. I can't recall where I bought my last bulk order but it wasn't Black Friday.
I bought mostly GPB plus Blue Camomile and Honeysuckle.

virtuenow

Ahh. Okay. I can't recall where I bought my last bulk order but it wasn't Black Friday.
I bought mostly GPB plus Blue Camomile and Honeysuckle.

Omgsh, have you tried White Camellia yet? It blows Honeysuckle out the water! It is my new pure moisture DC. Gpb is my "everything" DC (moisture, strength, reconstructor, protein, etc). The Cyber Monday sale is just as good-- and then there is a Christmas or New Years sale that is also just as good. I take advantage of one of those each year.

naturalmanenyc

Omgsh, have you tried White Camellia yet? It blows Honeysuckle out the water! It is my new pure moisture DC. Gpb is my "everything" DC (moisture, strength, reconstructor, protein, etc). The Cyber Monday sale is just as good-- and then there is a Christmas or New Years sale that is also just as good. I take advantage of one of those each year.

I am almost certain I bought White Camellia but I don't see it in my stash. I may have given it to my sister when she went natural one of the 4 times.

ETA: I did give it to my sister with other items I thought she would need to transition. I'm not even sure if I tried White Camellia before I gave it away.

20141222_210227.jpg

Last edited:

larry3344

Books by Aubrey Hampton:

Natural Organic Hair and Skin Care: Including A to Z Guide to Natural and Synthetic Chemicals in Cosmetics (contains recipes)

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Organic-Hair-Skin-Care/dp/0939157004

This is a guide he wrote. It is full of his basic recipes for hair and skin.

The Take Charge Beauty Book: The Ultimate Guide to Beautiful Hair & Skin (contains recipes)
https://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Beauty-Book-Beautiful/dp/0939157098/ref=pd_sim_14_33?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AYEEa8BaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107,160_&psc=1&refRID=YANVWRT2AW2R6429459S

What's In Your Cosmetics?
https://www.amazon.com/Whats-Your-Cosmetics-Aubrey-Hampton/dp/0939157101

These are the books with many of his recipes. Some things are difficult to decipher. Specifically, he calls something his "fatty acid base", but never specifically discloses what it is but uses this base in many of the recipes. Soft TOFU is the base. Once you figure that out, you can create and reproduce some of his products.

These books won't be printing any time soon. You can find them on Amazon for $1 dollar on up used. But once word gets out about his company no longer being in existence, these books may get swooped up.

Even if you are on the fence, you may want to consider picking up books 1 and 2. They might be ALL that is left of his legacy and company in the future.

Act now! If you decide later you don't want the books, then YOU can be the one to sell it for $200 dollars!
you were right...i bought the other books for cents but the first book went from 12 to 77 dollars within minutes.

NVM ...i still bought it for $12 on amazon.ca

Last edited:

virtuenow

Books by Aubrey Hampton:

Natural Organic Hair and Skin Care: Including A to Z Guide to Natural and Synthetic Chemicals in Cosmetics (contains recipes)

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Organic-Hair-Skin-Care/dp/0939157004

This is a guide he wrote. It is full of his basic recipes for hair and skin.

The Take Charge Beauty Book: The Ultimate Guide to Beautiful Hair & Skin (contains recipes)
https://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Beauty-Book-Beautiful/dp/0939157098/ref=pd_sim_14_33?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AYEEa8BaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107,160_&psc=1&refRID=YANVWRT2AW2R6429459S

What's In Your Cosmetics?
https://www.amazon.com/Whats-Your-Cosmetics-Aubrey-Hampton/dp/0939157101

These are the books with many of his recipes. Some things are difficult to decipher. Specifically, he calls something his "fatty acid base", but never specifically discloses what it is but uses this base in many of the recipes. Soft TOFU is the base. Once you figure that out, you can create and reproduce some of his products.

These books won't be printing any time soon. You can find them on Amazon for $1 dollar on up used. But once word gets out about his company no longer being in existence, these books may get swooped up.

Even if you are on the fence, you may want to consider picking up books 1 and 2. They might be ALL that is left of his legacy and company in the future.

Act now! If you decide later you don't want the books, then YOU can be the one to sell it for $200 dollars!

Thanks. Do the books have a recipe for the AO GPB and White Camellia conditioners?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I, along with others, bought AO when they had that huge Sale on all the previous label.

You received a full size bottle and got a 2oz bottle of the new labeled AO.

I remember getting x2 of each: WC, GPB, HSR.

I've been using the Old Label/Formula HSR for the past several wash days and been thoroughly enjoying it.

I do need to use these up, because even if they are refrigerated, I'm afraid they could go bad.

I used all the 2oz ones I received a while back.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@larry3344, @ajoke, @virtuenow,

These books do not have the formulas of his specific products. What they do have is the overall philosophy of his formulation process. He gives you an idea about what he puts in his products and the reason behind it. For me, most of AO products were the same with some variations. But I learned how to create my own processes for swimmers hair, etc when reading through his information. The books provide only CLUES. There are some recipes but you have to really figure out things for yourself.

ajoke

@larry3344, @ajoke, @virtuenow,

These books do not have the formulas of his specific products. What they do have is the overall philosophy of his formulation process. He gives you an idea about what he puts in his products and the reason behind it. For me, most of AO products were the same with some variations. But I learned how to create my own processes for swimmers hair, etc when reading through his information. The books provide only CLUES. There are some recipes but you have to really figure out things for yourself.

Having exact recipes would have been too good to be true I guess.

vevster

Now I understand what happened to my favorite deodorant E plus High C. They changed the formula and the last few I bought smelled like chemicals.

I used that product for YEARS.

NaturalEnigma

I've been using Aubrey Organics for 10 years. There products worked so well with my hair. They worked on my relaxed hair and natural hair. When they changed their formula I was heartbroken. My hair did not respond to it well at all. I don't know why they changed the ingredients. I feel like Aubrey Organics really became popular when the natural movement started. I would think they were making a lot more money then they were in the past. Changing the ingredients probably was their downfall, because I know a lot of people were not too happy with the formula changes.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Sometimes I get so annoyed with myself when I horde/stock-up on products (specifically hair products). Why I'm so compelled to have so many of the same exact thing. It's almost baffling to me, but then I see this thread and the comments and understand exactly why I (and many others) do this. I mean how many times have we seen a product we absolutely loved change ingredients, discontinue a particular item or go out of business!
Dang! I ain't in the mood to be tryin' to find something new. WHY does this keep happening???
There it is. Now I'm using Giovanni and Joico. I miss Aubrey's old formulas.

I get so annoyed when companies change their formulas
and not respond to customers asking for clarity.
They did that but that wasn't their problem they changed the original formulas that were awesome the new ones just didn't work it had nothing to do with the packaging.
@naturalmanenyc yes, I use the new formula and love it. It is exactly the same on my hair. I was scared b/c I do not like change-- and have experienced products messing things up. But AO GPB is still perfect on my hair and does exactly what it did before the change. Its still thick, still creamy, still the best. Some bottles seem to be a looser texture, but it was like that before. White Camellia is excellent too.
I've been using Aubrey Organics for 10 years. There products worked so well with my hair. They worked on my relaxed hair and natural hair. When they changed their formula I was heartbroken. My hair did not respond to it well at all. I don't know why they changed the ingredients. I feel like Aubrey Organics really became popular when the natural movement started. I would think they were making a lot more money then they were in the past. Changing the ingredients probably was their downfall, because I know a lot of people were not too happy with the formula changes.

Lucia

I believe the formulas changed when Mr. Aubrey Hampton, the owner and creator, died.

I have 2 theories:
1. Maybe he didn't pass on the actual formulas to his kids, but then how did the factory make his products for years?
2. The kids had the original formulas but choose to cut corners and put cheaper ingredients in to substitute for the originals and thought that we wouldn't notice.

What really bothered me was the way their people kept on insisting that the formulas did not change all along the way while one by one all their products are being discontinued and pulled from all the natural organic stores.
You know my hair don't lie. :lol:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay, so it's not just me. I got a bottle of GPB a few months ago after not buying it for a few years and it wasn't nearly as good. The smell was off, too.

That is helping me so much, because the GPB hasn't been amazing for my hair like I've been reading about in old threads here.

I was starting to think my hair was just a freak of nature or something. But now I'm thinking . . . o_O. I probably have the not-so-awesome GPB formulation/version. That would explain a lot.

GGsKin

After stocking up on a good few bottles of WC, I peeped this thread and wept:crybaby::cry:

I went straight to their site and ordered a number :)giggle:) of the sample sizes of WC. Then my friend told me our local chemist held some stock...:cycle:so I mosied on down there and bought their last 3 bottles of GPB:cup: (2 for Mum, one for me).

Hopefully these will last me until I find something else:cry4:

sherrimberri

I'm down to my last bottle of AO conditioner. Any recommendations of other conditioners that are similar to GPB & HSR? Thanks in advance.

sikora

I'm down to my last bottle of AO conditioner. Any recommendations of other conditioners that are similar to GPB & HSR? Thanks in advance.

I haven't compared ingredients but a couple weeks ago I found Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Anti breakage conditioner at Lot Less for $1.99. I picked up one bottle to try it and I could feel the strength in my hair after using it. It's a rinse out conditioner and the instructions are similar to GPB--leave on for 1 to 2 minutes then rinse.

The bad news is that the fact that it was in Lot Less means that it's probably discontinued. I have 4 bottles of GPB left so I'll stock up on the Dark and Lovely as a substitute.

Blue_Berry

Any update on the Aubrey products. I really loved their products in the past, but I'm nervous to try their new ones because of the negative reviews.