So this Salt... in the hair thing

Nice & Wavy

:yep: There's something to it, definitely. Anytime I go to the Caribbean, within 48 hrs my skin is clear and glowing and my hair is crazy soft.

I just came back from Jamaica and practically lived in the ocean and my skin is sooooooooooo pretty! There is definately something to this salt thing....:yep:

InnerSoul

I just came back from Jamaica and practically lived in the ocean and my skin is sooooooooooo pretty! There is definately something to this salt thing....:yep:

the dead sea salts are healing salts. I also love to put them in the bath water. Salt must purify or something!

~~HoneyComb~~

The next time I wash my hair I am going to try this, with Seasalt. I wonder if you'll get similar results if you add a little salt to your spritz:rolleyes:.

JustKiya

The next time I wash my hair I am going to try this, with Seasalt. I wonder if you'll get similar results if you add a little salt to your spritz:rolleyes:.

I don't know if it's a good idea to leave it in your hair. :perplexed I dunnnoooo - but then, who would have ever thought it was a good idea to put salt in your hair AT ALL... :lachen: . Try it, and less us know! ;)

Irresistible

I don't know if it's a good idea to leave it in your hair. :perplexed I dunnnoooo - but then, who would have ever thought it was a good idea to put salt in your hair AT ALL... :lachen: . Try it, and less us know! ;)

I told ya girl, stranger things have happened,now look at all this! :drunk:

Neith

I put about a teaspoon in my honeysuckle rose and I have it in my hair now :yep:

My scalp's a little itchy. :ohwell:

I DO have VERY SENSITIVE skin though. It's not that bad either, just noticeable.

Did anyone else have the tingles/itchies?

JustKiya

I put about a teaspoon in my honeysuckle rose and I have it in my hair now :yep:

I DO have VERY SENSITIVE skin though. It's not that bad either, just noticeable.

It tingled for me too - kinda felt like seawater drying on my skin - that slightly dry/slightly itchy feeling? I left it on for - at least 2 hours, and it stopped tingling in like the first 1/2 hour, I think. :yep:

AtlantaJJ

Don't laugh, but when I was growing up I had a cousin that had some type of skin condition where he would get sores. My uncle used to take him to the beach and make him get in the water every so often to help heal him up. I used to love it... I would tell cousin ... your sores look a little bad, I think we need to go to the beach :giggle:

abbygirl

olala..i just trid d salt and conditioner mix....
:grin:, truly amazinggggggggggggg:blush::blush:, my feels so silky:blush:
although water was dripping from my hair, dunno if anyone experienced this.
i dint even av to comb my hair as much as i do before, i just brushed it into a ponytail and put rollers on d ponytail..:drunk:

pringe

Don't laugh, but when I was growing up I had a cousin that had some type of skin condition where he would get sores. My uncle used to take him to the beach and make him get in the water every so often to help heal him up. I used to love it... I would tell cousin ... your sores look a little bad, I think we need to go to the beach :giggle:

AtlantaJJ, no i won't laugh cause i'm West Indian and I was always told as a child that salt water is good for your skin. I also have a friend who had bad eczema and would go to the beach every so often when the eczema was acting up to clear it up for a bit and get some relief.

JustKiya

:lol: Wouldn't dare laugh!!! I've heard many tales of seawater soothing skin issues.... :yep:

olala..i just trid d salt and conditioner mix....
:grin:, truly amazinggggggggggggg:blush::blush:, my feels so silky:blush:
although water was dripping from my hair, dunno if anyone experienced this.
i dint even av to comb my hair as much as i do before, i just brushed it into a ponytail and put rollers on d ponytail..:drunk:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I didn't notice any drippies, though........

lexi84

I'm scared....I would like to know WHY this works so well. Where's Sistaslick when you need her??? :sad:

Kaya...I think you may have found the next rave for LHCF. :worship2:

JustKiya

I'm scared....I would like to know WHY this works so well. Where's Sistaslick when you need her??? :sad:

Kiya...I think you may have found the next rave for LHCF. :worship2:

:lol: I know, right!! Or GymFreak! :look: We need some hard science heads in here..... :yep:

jrae

Yes, I did. Different tingles than I've felt before... wasn't sure what to make of it. :spinning:
Oh, and NO tangles! I'm 7 weeks post, too. This is gonna help me stretch a little longer.

Last edited:

Candy_C

careful of eventual breakage

why do you think hair looks like pretty spirally after swimmin in the sea

it looks cute

but its not good for the hair :nono:

salt dries out the hair

the reason why it works is because it seals the cuticles tight shut, but will do what it does say if you gargle is...dries out moisture

iof you use it, rinse it out a million times

you could see this as a cuticle/porosity treatment i GUESS but i dont think you will have any long term benefits, its short lived ...

Last edited:

JustKiya

careful of eventual breakage

why do you think hair looks like pretty spirally after swimmin in the sea

it looks cute

but its not good for the hair :nono:

:yep: Because the salt alone, dries hair out, and makes it rough, and brittle - totally with you there.

This mixture though, is much less concentrated than sea water, and you aren't letting it dry on your hair - and your hair is turning soft, rather than rough and brittle ..... I totally agree that we need to keep an eye on our hair to be sure that these results aren't temporary/detrimental over the long term, but I don't think that comparing this to how hair reacts to pure sea water is apples to apples. :yep:

JustKiya

doing a vinegar (apple cider) rinse will have the same/similar effect

and bay rum

Interesting - ACV rinses always left my hair feeling rough and stripped - rather like how sea water leaves my hair, actually. :lol:

And Bay Rum? Like liquor? :nono: Pouring good alcohol on your head! See, I draw the line @ rum and avocados - they are both much better in my belly. :lachen:

caribeandiva

Human being
Interesting - ACV rinses always left my hair feeling rough and stripped - rather like how sea water leaves my hair, actually. :lol:

And Bay Rum? Like liquor? :nono: Pouring good alcohol on your head! See, I draw the line @ rum and avocados - they are both much better in my belly. :lachen:
I'm totally with you on that one! I do wanna try the salt in my conditioner. Salt alone dries out hair but the conditioner should counteract it immediately. Too bad i just washed my hair earlier. oh well next time then.

scoobygirl

I tried this last night. I mixed 1/4 tablespoon of kosher salt with 1/2 cup of Elucence MB conditioner and applied in the shower. I worked in pretty good and let it sit on for ~5 min. At first my hair felt harder than normal and a more tangly. But after I rinsed it out, I noticed that it looked and felt smoother. I can't tell yet what extra moisture benefits I got, but it looks nice. Especially since I have 11 1/2 weeks worth of new growth.

JustKiya

I tried this last night. I mixed 1/4 tablespoon of kosher salt with 1/2 cup of Elucence MB conditioner and applied in the shower. I worked in pretty good and let it sit on for ~5 min. At first my hair felt harder than normal and a more tangly. But after I rinsed it out, I noticed that it looked and felt smoother. I can't tell yet what extra moisture benefits I got, but it looks nice. Especially since I have 11 1/2 weeks worth of new growth.

I'm going to ask DH (he's a chef) what the difference is between table salt and kosher salt, as I think you are the second person who got 'okay, but not fabulous' results from using kosher salt. Hrm, hrm, hrm.......

JustKiya

I'm just laughing at this thread because not too long ago...:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=4918239&postcount=57
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
But all the same, please be careful. Salt can be corrosive in the hair.
~*Janelle~*

:lachen: That's funny!!
But, all the same, there are commercial sea salt products made specifically to give the hair curl....so, who ever was saying that (I didn't dig to see the whole thread) wasn't just blowing smoke... :lachen:

Ladies, check out the last post I wrote in that thread. Also, look here: http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/watersoftner/index.html

-A

See, I know they use salt to soften water, but I'm not sure how. It's not like they just pour the salt in the water, and it becomes soft - there's some sort of chemical process going on, too.

Not to say that something like that process might not be going on with the conditioner, as well, but it might be a bit of a jump from one to the other. :look:

Candy_C

nooo not the drinking type

the medicinal type

i dunno says on my bottle can be used as a hair tonic

i'm not about to try it though

no salt no vineager i'm no french fry!

winterinatl

All natural!
Water softening systems lend support to putting salt in the hair - if you've ever washed with "soft water" then you know how silky, and easy to detangle it is with it. I don't now how much salt goes into the systems, though, or what kind so be careful yall.