So this Salt... in the hair thing

PanamasOwn

I tried it last night. I mixed a teaspoon of Mortons with my cheapie conditioner... It got foamy. I wet my hair first and then applied. I massasged it in and let it sit for 5 min. I could feel an immediate difference during the wash... The TRUE test was once it was dry,

AMAZING!!!!

I don't know what the whole Salt in your hair thing does, but it is a keeper. I won't do it too frequently, more like 2x a month. My ends don't feel hard, all of my hair is soft and I could actually run my whole hand through my hair without getting caught.

Don't sleep it on ladies. Its natural.....

Candycane044

This is so interesting!! Who would have thought? You ladies make me want to try this soo bad, but I can't until I take these twists down.

JustKiya

:woot: Another happy user!!! That's fabulous!!

:look: I don't think we've quite figured out what it does, Bri505 - it just - works. :lol: ;)

Zeal

I know that it is great for the skin. When I was in Bermuda. There was a alt water pool and i was in it every day. When I came home, My skin was wonderful. It mayhave jsut been the island water period. I am going to try this.

collegeDoll

did you add the salt into the bottle or mix it in while the condish. was in your hands or some sort of container?

im about to do this tonight!!:yep:

poookie

effect of salt on a relaxed person's hair

I tried this last night, too. used about 3/4 a cup of conditioner (trader joe's nourish spa), and a tablespoon of salt. also added 2 tablespoons of honey.

i also did a white vinegar rinse (same effect as an ACV rinse)

i noticed that my hair felt slightly rougher than usual. didn't get that silky feeling that justkiya described. it was also more tangly than usual, which was strange; considering that the trader joe's conditioner i used is GREAT at detangling my hair. it was too rough to set on flesirods, so i proceeded to put my hair in twists, and let them dry overnight.

got up the next AM, and my hair feels HEAVENLY!! usually when i air-dry, my hair feels rougher than it would if i set it on flexirods, or if i air-dried. today, it feels soft, and squeaky clean. my twist-out is also VERY defined. and i'm noting that my hair is shinier than usual.

i like the end result, but considering how difficult my hair was to detangle, i'm not sure how i feel about this yet. i don't want to throw in the towel yet, so i'll try again tomorrow (next wash day)

THANKS justkiya!!!!! i'm enjoying my first, defined twist-out! :grin:

Chameleonchick

It makes perfect sense, because I've heard that people that live by the beach (ocean not a dang gone lake) their hair is more moisturized. I have done searches on it well sea salt, and many sites say it can moisturize the hair in small amounts.

Neith

WHAT??

I'm gonna try this and post the results in my fotki within the next few days.

I would do it today, but Im clarifying today and I'm ascared!

prospurr4

I tried it last night. I mixed a teaspoon of Mortons with my cheapie conditioner... It got foamy. I wet my hair first and then applied. I massasged it in and let it sit for 5 min. I could feel an immediate difference during the wash... The TRUE test was once it was dry,

AMAZING!!!!

I don't know what the whole Salt in your hair thing does, but it is a keeper. I won't do it too frequently, more like 2x a month. My ends don't feel hard, all of my hair is soft and I could actually run my whole hand through my hair without getting caught.

This is so interesting! How much conditioner did you mix with the teaspoon of salt? This could be helpful during my latter weeks post relaxer. Thanks.

JustKiya

effect of salt on a relaxed person's hair

I tried this last night, too. used about 3/4 a cup of conditioner (trader joe's nourish spa), and a tablespoon of salt. also added 2 tablespoons of honey.

i also did a white vinegar rinse (same effect as an ACV rinse)

i noticed that my hair felt slightly rougher than usual. didn't get that silky feeling that justkiya described. it was also more tangly than usual, which was strange; considering that the trader joe's conditioner i used is GREAT at detangling my hair. it was too rough to set on flesirods, so i proceeded to put my hair in twists, and let them dry overnight.

got up the next AM, and my hair feels HEAVENLY!! usually when i air-dry, my hair feels rougher than it would if i set it on flexirods, or if i air-dried. today, it feels soft, and squeaky clean. my twist-out is also VERY defined. and i'm noting that my hair is shinier than usual.

i like the end result, but considering how difficult my hair was to detangle, i'm not sure how i feel about this yet. i don't want to throw in the towel yet, so i'll try again tomorrow (next wash day)

THANKS justkiya!!!!! i'm enjoying my first, defined twist-out! :grin:

It might have been the vinegar rinse that made your hair rough - someone was wondering how a salt + acid rinse would work, and I wasn't certain it would happen all that well. :ohwell:
And, a tablespoon of salt = 3 teaspoons, so you used a lot more salt than most people are, as well.
:( Tangles suck, girl, I'm so not down with them - but I'm glad your hair FEELS fabulous, all the same. :yep:

It makes perfect sense, because I've heard that people that live by the beach (ocean not a dang gone lake) their hair is more moisturized. I have done searches on it well sea salt, and many sites say it can moisturize the hair in small amounts.

Ohh, would you happen to have any links??? :yep:

WHAT??

I'm gonna try this and post the results in my fotki within the next few days.

I would do it today, but Im clarifying today and I'm ascared!

*lol* Yeah girl - the Moisturizing Mojo thread is all about this :yep:

PanamasOwn

did you add the salt into the bottle or mix it in while the condish. was in your hands or some sort of container?

im about to do this tonight!!:yep:

This is so interesting! How much conditioner did you mix with the teaspoon of salt? This could be helpful during my latter weeks post relaxer. Thanks.

It was about 2 handfuls. I mixed them together in a seperate container then applied. I thought about putting it in a conditoner bottle but since this was an experiement, I just seperated them in a container.

Nice & Wavy

AMAZING!!!!

I was getting ready to come in and say the same exact thing......my hair feels amazing too! It's so soft and the ends do feel different. I won't do this but once per month, but I will do it.

CenteredGirl

I'm trying it tonight but when I went to the store they had Morton's iodized, Morton's, Grocery store Iodized, Grocery store salt, Seasalt, bathsalt....grrrrr.

Also, if you look at the ingredients they vary also. Some have Sodium Bicarbonate. Which to choose????

WomanlyCharm

Just wanted to say I did this yesterday ...and my hair still feels fantastic. I didn't have to moisturize or anything this morning. :yep:

This treatment is definately a keeper...but how often should you do it?
Once a week?
Once a month?
Heck, I wanna do it again tomorrow! :lachen:

JustKiya

I'm trying it tonight but when I went to the store they had Morton's iodized, Morton's, Grocery store Iodized, Grocery store salt, Seasalt, bathsalt....grrrrr.

Also, if you look at the ingredients they vary also. Some have Sodium Bicarbonate. Which to choose????

*lol* I used regular old Salt - Mortons, Iodized, I assume, as almost all salt is. I'll have to go and look at my container to see if it had anything but salt in it, though.
You don't have any salt in the cabinet? :lol:

Eisani

I know that it is great for the skin. When I was in Bermuda. There was a alt water pool and i was in it every day. When I came home, My skin was wonderful. It mayhave jsut been the island water period. I am going to try this.

:yep: There's something to it, definitely. Anytime I go to the Caribbean, within 48 hrs my skin is clear and glowing and my hair is crazy soft.

Neith

THAT'S IT!!

I'm gonna try this now :)

I think on clarified hair it'll be even better to test out anyways.

CenteredGirl

*lol* I used regular old Salt - Mortons, Iodized, I assume, as almost all salt is. I'll have to go and look at my container to see if it had anything but salt in it, though.
You don't have any salt in the cabinet? :lol:

No, only have sea salt.

RedVelvet310

And I just washed my hair this morning! =/.... Oh well! My miss jessies is supposed to arrive tonight anyway... so I'll experiment with this tonight and if I can finally achieve a SUCCESSFUL WnG just *know* I will be rocking it tomorrow at Caribana... thanks JustKiya.. I hope this works out for me.

Nonie

Since my hair feels OK and I've learned from experience not to fix what isn't broken, I remain an observer, but I have to say this is indeed very interesting to see.

You all got me doing some research and here's something I found. Don't know if this clears the mystery or not:

Want Sexy, Messy, "Just Off the Beach" Waves? The secret is sea salt spray. We once dropped by one of Manhattan's hottest salons to check in on the new perming trend. We wanted carefree, loose waves and we were wondering if they did them there via the perming process.
No can do, said the girl at the front desk, who just happened to have the hair we wanted. "Do you happen to perm your hair?" We asked, oh-so-delicately. She smiled and leaned to tell us a little secret. "Nope, I use sea salt. And I make it myself." You too can make a spray using a bottle, several tablespoons of sea salt and water. But if you want to buy it yourself, we recommend our favorite sea salt spray, Bumble and Bumble's Surf Spray.

So skip the perm and first try spritzing sea salt on damp hair, scrunching hair and letting airdry. Since most hair has some sort of natural wave, the sea salt naturally enhances it.
Source: http://beauty.about.com/od/hairbasics/a/moretips.htm

Nice & Wavy

Just wanted to say I did this yesterday ...and my hair still feels fantastic. I didn't have to moisturize or anything this morning. :yep:

This treatment is definately a keeper...but how often should you do it?
Once a week?
Once a month?
Heck, I wanna do it again tomorrow! :lachen:

I only used a dab of moisturizer and my hair feels better than ever. You are not alone, I want to do it again tomorrow too:lachen:, but I won't.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I will be trying this my next wash.:yep: Thanks to JK for posting about this and everyone else who posted their results.

prospurr4

It was about 2 handfuls. I mixed them together in a seperate container then applied. I thought about putting it in a conditoner bottle but since this was an experiement, I just seperated them in a container.

Wonderful! Thanks for the quick answer...I may just try this tomorrow.