Sock Bun Wearers....Questions?

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

I've been wearing the sock bun this week. I have a few questions:

1) When you wear the sock bun do you rollerset your hair or do you air dry it in a ponytail and then apply the sock bun when it's dry?

2) Do you take the bun out each day to moisturize?

3) What do you do with your hair at night?

4) Do you have any issues when your ends being crinkly?

Any other tips for successful sock bunning would be greatly appreciated.

Radianthealth

RabiaElaine said:
Hi Ladies,

1) When you wear the sock bun do you rollerset your hair or do you air dry it in a ponytail and then apply the sock bun when it's dry?

I airdry then put it into a ponytail and apply the sock bun.

Yes I moisturize nightly

I moisturize my hair put it in a low ponytail or high one (whatever style you will wear the next day minus the bun, this helps to lay the hair down flat) and wrap with a satin/silk scarf. I don't baggy because it is too hard to do a sock bun on wet hair.

Sometimes:perplexed , this is why I don't really consider the sock bun much of a protective style. It isn't the best method of protecting my ends, but it is a more natural/elegant looking protective style, so I usually wear it when I am going out. It is like semi protection for the ends and it is more stylish and realistic looking than a phony pony IMHO.

I cover my sock buns with kinky twist hair or yaki weave to make it look even more natural. You can use a weaving needle or hot glue to secure the yaki hair.

I have a tutorial in my hair album (I was about to type fotki but then I remembered I don't have one:lachen: )

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/trimbride/album/576460762389595116

Good Luck!:)

Lavendar

RabiaElaine said:
Hi Ladies,

Usually partly air dry...I leave it slightly damp.

I do now that I'm using BT. Before I only took it out twice a week, once to moisturize and once to wash and treat.

Massage scalp with BT and put bun back up..I tie with scarf and cover with a bonnet.

Nope. I moisturize ends really well then coat with coconut oil. I grab the bun with one hand and twist the fanned out hair around and around until it's all neatly underneath the bun. When I take it down my ends are always shiny and straight and my hair looks like a bantu knot set.;)

I actually use a foam bun with a satin sock around it but it's really too small now. It still works though.

Mocha5

RabiaElaine said:
Hi Ladies,

Airdry it in a ponytail

Yes, I moisturize daily and MTG almost daily.

After moisturizing and MTGing I put it back in a ponytail, baggy the ends and tie a scarf around it.

My ends are only crinkly if I don't baggy the night before. But my hair is layered so I baggy most of my pontytail which leaves my "fan" a little thin because it's so moisturized.

I use a trousser sock that's not made of cotton. Then I wrap one leg of a panty hose around it. Just depends on how big I want my bun.